First handgun help

I would go with glock or sig. I own more then one of each and never had any issues with any of them. But, other then the sp2022 any new full sized sig is going to run in the high 800s to 1000.

Glock, CZ-75, Sig, can't go wrong with either one.

1911's are nice, but just remember you get what you pay for.

Maverick 88 shotgun, just go get one of these while your at it too.

If you are looking for your first handgun, I would suggest a Glock 19 Gen 3. It's large enough, and holds enough rounds to be used for home-defense and range time, and small enough to easily conceal.

If you're using it primarily for home defense, forget a handgun and get a shotgun. Guy breaks into your home and hears you load a pump action shotgun, he gets the hell out of there. Even if he keeps coming, the shotgun sprays its shot, so it's harder to miss than with a handgun.

Yeah, these aren't the best types of posts.

I have to agree with everyone saying test fire as many different types of handguns as you can. The slide cracking on the Berettas was an issue a very long time ago. The 92 is not a very good target shooting gun though. I own one and carrying one in the military (its on my hip as I type). The Beretta is a quality gun, no doubt but it is a large frame for a 9 mil.

At the police department I carry a SIG P220, off duty I carry a SIG P220 Carry Elite. I recommend SIG if you like metal framed pistols. Glocks are very easy to use, no safety or decocker to worry about but some people do not like the grip angle.

If you're using it primarily for home defense, forget a handgun and get a shotgun. Guy breaks into your home and hears you load a pump action shotgun, he gets the hell out of there. Even if he keeps coming, the shotgun sprays its shot, so it's harder to miss than with a handgun.

I take it you have almost no experience with shotguns? Have you ever patterned shot out of one at across the room distances?

Racking a round into a shotgun to "scare" someone is tactically unsound. It gives away your position if your opponent is armed. I've racked shotguns in front of felons several times as a cop(had to since ours in the patrol car have an empty chamber), none shit their pants, ran away, cried like little girls, etc.

See the below site for accurate shotgun patterns.
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot42.htm
With different loads and chokes
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot44_2.htm

I take it you have almost no experience with shotguns? Have you ever patterned shot out of one at across the room distances?

Racking a round into a shotgun to "scare" someone is tactically unsound. It gives away your position if your opponent is armed. I've racked shotguns in front of felons several times as a cop(had to since ours in the patrol car have an empty chamber), none shit their pants, ran away, cried like little girls, etc.

See the below site for accurate shotgun patterns.
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot42.htm
With different loads and chokes
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot44_2.htm
This. Just This.

As a 1911 person, do you know if there are any other companies besides Rock Island that produces the 1911 chambered in a 9mm?
Plenty of companies make 9mm 1911s but most of them are higher end models. The other gun that comes to mind that's reputable and in your price range is the STI Spartan.

I'm not entirely sure why you would want a 1911 in 9mm to begin with. There are plenty of great, well priced 9mm pistols out there that are designed around the 9mm and head to head would probably out perform a Frankenstein 1911 in 9mm. You buy a 1911 because its reliable, because .45 acp hits hard and, because a good 1911 is a freakin tack driver. In my opinion the 45 is the superior home defense round for a number of reasons that I'm sure can be found after a quick google search. That is my opinion though and my intention is not to draw hate from anyone.

As far as the shotgun vs hand gun argument goes I always say this: In a situation in which you are not standing in a choke point with only one entrance the shotgun is the lesser option. We need to remember that most shotguns firing 00 are intended to be effective at ranges between 0-100 yards and that at close range, with in a few feet a shotgun is laying down a fairly tight pattern with 00. So I would argue that yes, in theory hitting a small target would be easier but when were talking about engaging a full grown adult with in probably max 3-5 yards a pistol isn't going to be much harder to land hits with. However, the pistol has the advantage in this situation because it is far easier to maneuver about in a confined space. If I'm not sure where some one is I would prefer something that I can swing around and get on target with as quickly as possible. This is why sub-machine guns are so often used by special police forces around the world. It is a compromise between these two principals. One being the ease at which the user can hit a target quickly and the other being the ability to maneuver and acquire targets more quickly in tight spaces.

Yeah a person could buy a very compact shotgun but the options available for that are limited and expensive.

I don't mean to hijack, but I too am looking to buy my first handgun. Target shooting and home defense. I'm looking for a wheel gun: .357 preferably. I'd love a Ruger GP100, almost got a blued 6" one today for $539, but it is a little more than I want to spend realistically, and that is a up big fucking gun. I want my girlfriend to me able to comfortably shoot .38spsl out of it, so I'm thinking a 3" or 4" barrel. Any suggestions? ~$500 wheel gun in .357 preferably but I'm not against a .38.

The Python looks like the perfect gun, but ti seems 4" barrel is rare on those, and besides they're waaaaay too expensive.

Last edited:
Revolvers are antiquated. Semi automatics have too many advantages to even look at a wheelgun anymore as a starter pistol.

Keep in mind I am not a hater, as I have at least 4 revolvers myself. But a solid 9mm is going to be exponentially better. For $500 you can buy something pretty nice. I almost bought a Sig 229 law enforcement trade in at the gunshow for $480 today except the guy wouldn't throw in an extra magazine.

Revolvers are antiquated. Semi automatics have too many advantages to even look at a wheelgun anymore as a starter pistol.

Keep in mind I am not a hater, as I have at least 4 revolvers myself. But a solid 9mm is going to be exponentially better. For $500 you can buy something pretty nice. I almost bought a Sig 229 law enforcement trade in at the gunshow for $480 today except the guy wouldn't throw in an extra magazine.

That's fine and dandy, but I like revolvers. I've shot before, mostly long guns, but I've fired a couple .38s. You could say I like the romanticism of the old wheel gun. I like the aesthetic of the revolver, though that isn't to say there aren't some sexy looking semi-autos as well. I know that I want a revolver, this will mostly be for range shooting, as the crime rate here isn't too high. Home defense is secondary and I do realize a semi-automatic may be the better option as far as that goes. But, like I said, I want a wheel gun!

It's fucking hard to find them though. Three gun shops locally, one had a GP 100, bu it was the 6" barrel pistol that is too much gun for me and my girlf... For now!

I don't mean to hijack, but I too am looking to buy my first handgun. Target shooting and home defense. I'm looking for a wheel gun: .357 preferably. I'd love a Ruger GP100, almost got a blued 6" one today for $539, but it is a little more than I want to spend realistically, and that is a up big fucking gun. I want my girlfriend to me able to comfortably shoot .38spsl out of it, so I'm thinking a 3" or 4" barrel. Any suggestions? ~$500 wheel gun in .357 preferably but I'm not against a .38.

The Python looks like the perfect gun, but ti seems 4" barrel is rare on those, and besides they're waaaaay too expensive.

I'm a fan of 4," think it's the perfect size for anything besides CCW. The GP100 is probably your best bet in that price range unless you want to look for a Model 13 or 19 S&W in decent shape.

I have a S&W model 28 with a six inch barrel. I'd recommend that if they weren't so hard to find.

I'm a fan of 4," think it's the perfect size for anything besides CCW. The GP100 is probably your best bet in that price range unless you want to look for a Model 13 or 19 S&W in decent shape.

Thanks for the reply.
The GP100 is definitely what I'm leaning toward, but a blued steel 4" barrel model 13 is very tempting as well. I'll definitely start looking around for one of those as well.

No gun collection is complete without a gp100...

I have a 4" gp100 and a 2.25" sp101.

Back