First handgun help

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by mnlax13, Oct 17, 2013.

1. mnlax13

mnlax13 Yellow Belt

I am currently looking at purchasing my first hand gun. I have it narrowed down to the beretta 92f and the 92fs. I did some research and it said that the 92f had issues with the slide cracking or coming off, but after browsing some firearm forums it said that the malfunctions were caused from the ammunition that was used. So my question is have you had experiences with both the models? which one should I purchase? Or should I scrap this idea and start looking back into 1911 models? I wanted something steel framed,hefty, in the 9mm caliber but am tempted to move to the .45 caliber. I have been getting pointed towards the 1911 platform and i like it as well!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. Lord of Lies

Lord of Lies Brown Belt

What are you going to use it for? The Beretta is a large pistol.

3. mnlax13

mnlax13 Yellow Belt

Target practice mostly and secondly home defense.

4. Lord of Lies

Lord of Lies Brown Belt

Well out of those two the FS, I don't think they even make the F anymore (the FS is the updated model).

Have you shot any other pistols yet? Good pistol, but there are more modern pistols out there now. Glock, M&P, etc. Or do you not want a polymer pistol?

5. ColonelAngus1

ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

If you're using it primarily for home defense, forget a handgun and get a shotgun. Guy breaks into your home and hears you load a pump action shotgun, he gets the hell out of there. Even if he keeps coming, the shotgun sprays its shot, so it's harder to miss than with a handgun.

6. Snakesolidsnake

Snakesolidsnake Purple Belt

I've never liked Berettas; POS in my opinion. All sorts of jamming issues, the magazines wear quickly and give feeding problems.

I'm a big fan of Glocks. There are also a lot of people who like SIGs. You can never really go wrong with 1911s, although they fire a bigger and usually more expensive round and most models worth buying will be several hundred more than a Glock or a Sig.

7. ColonelAngus1

ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

Never heard anybody complain about a Glock. They're accurate, reliable, and efficient.

8. mnlax13

mnlax13 Yellow Belt

The only other pistol ive really liked was a american tactical 1911 which i loved however I want something chambered in the 9mm and the only ive seen is something made by rock island. I also got to see and handle a glock but I wasnt too big on the polymer pistol and the grips felt weird to me.

9. Snakesolidsnake

I agree 100%. Some people don't like the trigger pull (easily adjustable), the lack of safety, or the polymer lower receiver. But, they never jam even with shitty ammo. My old boss used to be a cop and he was testing his out. He completely submerged it in water and fired 4 rounds before it didn't cycle. Pretty damn impressive. I personally own two Glocks and a Para high-capacity 1911.

10. Snakesolidsnake

Did you try a Gen 3 or Gen 4 Glock? I like the grips on the Gen 3 a lot better. They still make them and are cheaper than the Gen 4.

11. mnlax13

mnlax13 Yellow Belt

Had my eye on a Mossberg 500 next. I do have a small 410 and Remington model 552 my grandfather left behind for me.

12. mnlax13

mnlax13 Yellow Belt

They had a police trade in and received many 92f and fs. I did have my hand on a 1911, but changed my mind due to reading reviews about how police trade ins do have wear from being in a holster but not fired that much? Has anyone had expereince with police trade ins?

13. Snakesolidsnake

It would depend on the model. Berettas don't tend to age well (most of my experiences with Berettas are from the Marine Corps and the frequent use makes them degrade pretty quickly. Keeping rounds in the magazine causes them to wear extremely fast). With a 1911, they are built like a tank and I would trust a used one of those more.

14. Quick Shot xMLx

Quick Shot xMLx Brown Belt

That's completely dependent on what 1911 it was. I'm a gigantic fan of 1911s but it depends on what kind of 1911 it is. The 92FS isn't bad but quite frankly it's probably my least favorite DA/SA gun. I'd much rather shoot a CZ 75/SP01 or a Sig P226/229. The CZs are cheaper and I think their SA is better, and the Sigs are just better at everything besides the price.

15. mnlax13

mnlax13 Yellow Belt

I had my eye on an American Tactical 1911. My only concern about the 92 f is possible constant replacement of locking blocks and taking a slide to the face. It could just be a myth or is that confirmed?

16. naked duck

naked duck It sure is cold without pants.

Sig 226 is a solid design, reliable and made of steel. If you have your heart set on a 1911 I suggest you be willing to pay a good amount for one. Cheap ones don't always fair too well.

/my 2 cents

17. infinitywarrior

infinitywarrior Green Belt

^Good answer
    Maverick 88 security < $200 if your in the states, pretty much a Moss 500. :icon_lol:
    Pistol..... gotta say glock, favorite of all pistols i've owned and no issues.

18. Winbot

Winbot Green Belt

I'm going to give you the best advice any gun owner can give a person looking to make a first purchase. Find a rental and shoot it before hand. Never buy a gun you do not have range time on or at the very least a personal recommendation from a friend for. The last thing you want to do is go out and drop between 500 and 1000 bucks on a weapon you end up hating especially if its a first gun for you. Take a drive to a gun store that has a large variety of rentals on the shelf and have a day with the ones that you're interested in.

If you're shopping for a defense weapon make a mental check list in your head and go over it on the range, if the gun meets the requirements you have while you're using it, buy it.

To often people get fixated on a "dream" gun and wind up with something that isnt nearly as good as the idea they had in their head was.

Aside from that I'm gonna agree with most people in this thread and point you towards a Glock or a 1911. Another thing to think about is why military personnel seem to almost universally prefer the good old 1911 to the 92, if the guys fighting wars with the things are handing out feedback its probably a good idea to take it into consideration.

19. mnlax13

mnlax13 Yellow Belt

As a 1911 person, do you know if there are any other companies besides Rock Island that produces the 1911 chambered in a 9mm?

20. crowded

crowded Red Belt

TS, I'd say you should listen to Winbot and I agree that you should consider a CZ-75 in some variant. I think that slide problem with the Beretta's is from a couple decades ago. My M9 works great and doesn't malfunction, but I prefer my CZ 85 Combat or my Magnum Research Baby Eagle (domestic name of the Jericho).