first grappling session

Godhand13

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently crossed from Kyokushin Karate to a Kickboxing/MMA gym, and I'm loving it. Anyway, I had my first ever grappling session today and got myself submitted by a guy whose a lot lighter than me. Is this normal?

:icon_chee

very common and to be expected, would be pointless to learn the sport if you could beat people based purely on physical advantages

sonofabitch

hemadl.jpg

Would you expect to hit an homerun on your first baseball swing?

I had my first ever grappling session today and got myself submitted by a guy whose a lot lighter than me. Is this normal?

No. The larger fighter should always win. Bigger is better and size trumps technique 24/7. There's no need to practice at any particular skill, just eat the horsemeat and you'll be immune to submissions.

minowaman.jpg

It is completely uncommon for someone with zero grappling experience to be submitted by a more experienced and skilled fighter. You should look for a new gym and get away from those freaks.

Okay, sarcasm aside, that's fine. While size and strength are certainly advantages, skill is also an advantage. Think of it like a scale, with physical advantages on one side and technical advantages on the other side. If you have physical advantages, but his skill is good enough to handle you, then you're getting tapped. That's why we train.

No. The larger fighter should always win. Bigger is better and size trumps technique 24/7. There's no need to practice at any particular skill, just eat the horsemeat and you'll be immune to submissions.

minowaman.jpg

Mmm... horsemeat. I hear you can gain 50lbs of lean muscle in about a year on that stuff.

When you went from Karate to Muay Thai, did any smaller guys with more skill dominate you?

minowaman.jpg

/cheer for Minowaman

Back