Elections First GOP Debate on Fox Discussion: Who's in and Who's Out.

I think it's just that a significant portion of the right is barking mad. They're increasingly disconnected from society and fear that they will soon be on the bottom of the totem pole and blaming both people below them who are gaining and shadowy elites. Trump is telling them what they want to hear, and they're eating it up. Nothing new about peasants supporting an aristocratic demagogue.

That, and they've become very accustomed to politicians telling them what they want to hear and then going to Washington and changing nothing. Now, these are not people who deal in subtlety or who want to hear about checks and balances and the three co-equal branches of government, these are people for whom if you got elected to get rid of illegals and there are still illegals then goddammit you're not doing your job! Trump seems like the kind of person who wouldn't let a silly thing like the law stop him from getting stuff done. He speaks to the inability of extreme conservatives to actually enact their agenda, and he cites the same (ludicrous) reasons for that agenda not having already come to pass that they believe in.

That, and they've become very accustomed to politicians telling them what they want to hear and then going to Washington and changing nothing. Now, these are not people who deal in subtlety or who want to hear about checks and balances and the three co-equal branches of government, these are people for whom if you got elected to get rid of illegals and there are still illegals then goddammit you're not doing your job! Trump seems like the kind of person who wouldn't let a silly thing like the law stop him from getting stuff done. He speaks to the inability of extreme conservatives to actually enact their agenda, and he cites the same (ludicrous) reasons for that agenda not having already come to pass that they believe in.

If trump wants to get stuff done without permission of the other branches or lawfully he better get chummy with the outgoing president because no one has done it better than him. Could teach trump a thing or two.

Yeah, that's all rolled into it but good addition. That's a major source of that disconnectedness I mentioned. It's on the left, too, though they don't have any sway in a major political party.

If trump wants to get stuff done without permission of the other branches or lawfully he better get chummy with the outgoing president because no one has done it better than him. Could teach trump a thing or two.

1.29.14.2.jpg

presidential_vetoes.jpg

NPH-SHRUG.gif~c200

This is the people who give Conservatives bad name. Just spout off shit, they see in a chain email, sent by their slightly racist uncle. Obama has plenty of issues to be attacked on, no need to make up shit.

Wasn't Rand Paul leading the pack a few months ago? What happened?

Wasn't Rand Paul leading the pack a few months ago? What happened?

He has zero chance. Republicans want the promise of bombings and invasions without taking any responsibility for wrongdoings and admitting past mistakes. They also want small gov't (taxes, healthcare, food stamps, guns) but want big gov't intelligence gatherings. Rand won't shovel the Neo-con talking points down their throats like they want Thursday night.

He never had a chance.

Paul looks like a sell out to his fathers supporters, while could never toe the party line enough to be seen as at all acceptable to the establishment voters. I expect him to drop out after Iowa, head back to Kentucky and run for Senate re-election. However is he a Senate lifer type? He went for a promotion to the big job so quickly I wonder if he might just leave the Senate and cash in rather than being a rabble rouser lifer who is pretty much a pariah to his own party.

Perry was begging to get on the prime time stage but now saying its a plus not having to deal with the circus Trump says. I don't know if anyone has spent the time he has in Iowa and N.H. so far and he can't even crack the top ten.

I think you're confusing things you don't like with illegal actions. What you should probably be mad about is the degree to which Congress steadily gave more and more power over the executive branch over the past 30 years, and now can't compromise on anything such that they could actually roll back any of what Obama's done via agencies.

If everything he's done is so illegal, there's no shortage of federal courts with conservative justices or right wing political groups who sue love to sue him, not to mention the most conservative SCOTUS since reconstruction. So why haven't his actions gotten overturned :confused:

Probably because no matter how much you dislike them, they're not illegal. Win the presidency and I'm sure they'll get rolled back.

Those would be my 10, glad to see guys like Jindal, Perry, Santorum, and Graham kicked to the wayside. That said, I still don't get the Ben Carson thing, but it will be over soon.

I'd have preferred Santorum make the cut just to hear some of his supposed "blue collar" rhetoric. The other three are useless.

This is my most anticipated tv event since the NFC Conference Championship.

That's what happens after 8 years of a pitiful beta not fit to lead.

Obama is always either a weak beta or a tyrannical warmonger who bombs everyone, depending on the agenda of the day. I heard he killed Osama with his bare hands and made a 3 pointer with his decapitated head.

Also, the GOP debate should be entertaining. I know I'm watching.

Perry was begging to get on the prime time stage but now saying its a plus not having to deal with the circus Trump says. I don't know if anyone has spent the time he has in Iowa and N.H. so far and he can't even crack the top ten.
But, but... he's wearing glasses now!

I keep thinking Rick Perry is really Billy Bob Thornton or Josh Brolin researching for the role of a conservative politician.

I am surprised- but pleased- that this time around Santorum can't even crack the Top 10 this early.

I keep thinking Rick Perry is really Billy Bob Thornton or Josh Brolin researching for the role of a conservative politician.

He was an extremely long-reigning governor of the biggest conservative state, and relative to other red states, it's actually doing OK. He made a complete fool of himself last time, but I'm still surprised he's doing so poorly this time.

He was an extremely long-reigning governor of the biggest conservative state, and relative to other red states, it's actually doing OK. He made a complete fool of himself last time, but I'm still surprised he's doing so poorly this time.

With his resume there was no reason he couldn't have been the 2012 nominee but he couldn't even make it to South Carolina. I don't think the base is looking for anyone who couldn't separate themselves from the rag tag group of 2012 this time around.

Last edited:

Political record of success seems to have no bearing on Republican voters. The last nominee left his state office with a 60% disapproval rating.

He is one of the GOP's best options (imo). Sure he made mediocre grades in University and said some inappropriate/stupid things but I feel of the current crop of GOP candidates that he is one of the most intelligent. Obviously Ted Cruz is very well educated but the problem with Cruz is he strikes me as too much of an ideological extremist.

One has to ask themselves. Does Rick Perry really believe what he says when he panders to the 'idiot' wing of his party? Because I doubt he really believes what he has says.

Plus I think he is less extreme than the Rand or Cruz types who want to dismantle the country.

Back