Elections First GOP Debate on Fox Discussion: Who's in and Who's Out.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Diamond Jim, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Silver Belt

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/republican-presidential-debate-whos-whos/story?id=32717700

The first debate is Thursday and should be pretty entertaining so I thought we can discuss it here instead of the GOP primary thread.

Anyways, the national averages are out and the top ten who will be in the prime time debate are:

1) Trump 23.2%
    2) Bush 12.8%
    3) Walker 10.6%
    4) Carson 6.6%
    5) Huckabee 6.6%
    6) Cruz 6.2%
    7) Rubio 5.2%
    8) Paul 4.8%
    9) Christie 3.4%
    10) Kasich 2.8%

The remaining will take part at the "kiddie table" debate held a few hours earlier on fox and will include Perry, Jindal, Santorum, Graham, Pataki, Gilmore, Fiorina.

2. UpaLoompa

UpaLoompa Grand Quasiprophet of the Sakaran Apocolyps

There's been general outrage on the part of pollsters about Fox's approach. Basically everything below Walker is statistically indistinguishable. Fox picked whomever they wanted to round out 4-10. At least one major pollster refused to release any polls over the last little bit because the whole thing is bullshit.

3. ShoelessRye

ShoelessRye Gold Belt

Interesting that they go 10 deep and no military vets make the cut. Yet, outside of Paul, they'll all try to out-Hawk each other.

4. theocean

theocean Silver Belt

they should have both pauls, get shit really interesting. I hope trump just shouts and talks over everyone.

5. UpaLoompa

I've seen considerable speculation that Trump will likely be very well behaved (many GOP active campaign strategists are suggesting that). The thinking is that he's gotten a lot of media attention and GOP attacks for being outlandish and ridiculous. For many potential voters the debate will be one of the first times they get much exposure to him as a potential politician. If he comes out very well prepared and very calm, most of the previous bruh-ha-ha gets dismissed and he gets viewed as a victim of the evil "MSM" and of same old same old political insiders.

6. UpaLoompa

Then again, a bullying, bellicose, bloviating, blowhard is exactly what many people want.

7. Hog-train

Hog-train Black Belt

I wanna see Christie and Trump go at it.

8. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Silver Belt

Perry flew C-130's for a few years, Gilmore was stationed in Germany for Vietnam and Graham was a JAG officer. Not exactly combat vets. The only legit combat veteran this primary is a democrat, Jim Webb.

9. theocean

theocean Silver Belt

He is who he is though. Its tough to pull an ego like his into containment, hes so use to just being able to yell and shout that it is who he is. I also hope he refers to himself as Trump or Donald (in the third person) at least 5 times, thats my over/under on it at least.

10. Makani

Makani Ain't Nobody Ever Been Free

Those would be my 10, glad to see guys like Jindal, Perry, Santorum, and Graham kicked to the wayside. That said, I still don't get the Ben Carson thing, but it will be over soon.

11. theocean

theocean Silver Belt

Hes black they need some diversity up on the main stage.

12. Makani

Yeah, I meant his backing in general, I guess he's been spending a bunch of time and money in Iowa, and hitting all those nutty little "Freedom and Firearms" type events to keep his numbers up. There is a bit of Cosby involved (pre-rapist) where a successful black man is telling white people what they want to hear.

13. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

They're friends, so I doubt that's going to happen.

14. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Silver Belt

My problem with Carson is his hypocrisy. Early in his career he told of the gov't assistance his mother and he received at a young age and how it helped him and now it's the complete opposite. Now gov't assistance hurts people according to him.

15. theocean

theocean Silver Belt

Yea for someone who is so smart he seems awfully fuicking dumb too.

16. weich

weich Silver Belt

After your comment I decided to look up Webb's military service. It sounds like he was a bit of a bad ass:

Source

17. ShoelessRye

ShoelessRye Gold Belt

He's not a debater either - no real experience in it. He's best to just be low key and seem credible and knowledgable. Leave his attacks and craziness away from the debates when he's seen in direct side-by-side comparison to the other candidates, and when it's just a crazy tweet or minute soundbyte and then he could damage control it, or have his campaign do it.

With 10 debaters, commercials and time for question to be asked and such, most candidates will have maybe 6-7 minutes of actual response time over the whole of the debate.

18. Makani

He's skilled in his field, to be sure, but that doesn't really translate into anything you can really use in politics, or even point to a general level of intelligence outside that field. He tried to do the Trump, but he just didn't do it as well or as big.

19. theocean

theocean Silver Belt

I just dont know if he can contain himself. The thing is he probably could have a lot of decent ideas, he just comes off like such a twat sometimes its hard to take ANYTHING he says seriously. Ill be surprised if he is able to handle having a limited time to talk like an adult without whining and bitching about something. I hope he doesnt duck face the entire time as well.

20. theocean

theocean Silver Belt

Its just if you make it to the level he has in the field that he has i expect you to be smart in other ways just as a result of being so smart in what you do. Then he says some of the shit he does, and i just find myself in amazement that the same guy thats saying what hes saying is a doctor, and a pretty respected one at that. I guess i assume some sort of residual smartness.