Elections First GOP Debate on Fox Discussion: Who's in and Who's Out.

Diamond Jim

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/republican-presidential-debate-whos-whos/story?id=32717700

The first debate is Thursday and should be pretty entertaining so I thought we can discuss it here instead of the GOP primary thread.

Anyways, the national averages are out and the top ten who will be in the prime time debate are:

1) Trump 23.2%
2) Bush 12.8%
3) Walker 10.6%
4) Carson 6.6%
5) Huckabee 6.6%
6) Cruz 6.2%
7) Rubio 5.2%
8) Paul 4.8%
9) Christie 3.4%
10) Kasich 2.8%

The remaining will take part at the "kiddie table" debate held a few hours earlier on fox and will include Perry, Jindal, Santorum, Graham, Pataki, Gilmore, Fiorina.

There's been general outrage on the part of pollsters about Fox's approach. Basically everything below Walker is statistically indistinguishable. Fox picked whomever they wanted to round out 4-10. At least one major pollster refused to release any polls over the last little bit because the whole thing is bullshit.

Interesting that they go 10 deep and no military vets make the cut. Yet, outside of Paul, they'll all try to out-Hawk each other.

they should have both pauls, get shit really interesting. I hope trump just shouts and talks over everyone.

they should have both pauls, get shit really interesting. I hope trump just shouts and talks over everyone.
I've seen considerable speculation that Trump will likely be very well behaved (many GOP active campaign strategists are suggesting that). The thinking is that he's gotten a lot of media attention and GOP attacks for being outlandish and ridiculous. For many potential voters the debate will be one of the first times they get much exposure to him as a potential politician. If he comes out very well prepared and very calm, most of the previous bruh-ha-ha gets dismissed and he gets viewed as a victim of the evil "MSM" and of same old same old political insiders.

Then again, a bullying, bellicose, bloviating, blowhard is exactly what many people want.

I wanna see Christie and Trump go at it.

Interesting that they go 10 deep and no military vets make the cut. Yet, outside of Paul, they'll all try to out-Hawk each other.

Perry flew C-130's for a few years, Gilmore was stationed in Germany for Vietnam and Graham was a JAG officer. Not exactly combat vets. The only legit combat veteran this primary is a democrat, Jim Webb.

I've seen considerable speculation that Trump will likely be very well behaved (many GOP active campaign strategists are suggesting that). The thinking is that he's gotten a lot of media attention and GOP attacks for being outlandish and ridiculous. For many potential voters the debate will be one of the first times they get much exposure to him as a potential politician. If he comes out very well prepared and very calm, most of the previous bruh-ha-ha gets dismissed and he gets viewed as a victim of the evil "MSM" and of same old same old political insiders.

He is who he is though. Its tough to pull an ego like his into containment, hes so use to just being able to yell and shout that it is who he is. I also hope he refers to himself as Trump or Donald (in the third person) at least 5 times, thats my over/under on it at least.

Those would be my 10, glad to see guys like Jindal, Perry, Santorum, and Graham kicked to the wayside. That said, I still don't get the Ben Carson thing, but it will be over soon.

Those would be my 10, glad to see guys like Jindal, Perry, Santorum, and Graham kicked to the wayside. That said, I still don't get the Ben Carson thing, but it will be over soon.

Hes black they need some diversity up on the main stage.

Hes black they need some diversity up on the main stage.

Yeah, I meant his backing in general, I guess he's been spending a bunch of time and money in Iowa, and hitting all those nutty little "Freedom and Firearms" type events to keep his numbers up. There is a bit of Cosby involved (pre-rapist) where a successful black man is telling white people what they want to hear.

My problem with Carson is his hypocrisy. Early in his career he told of the gov't assistance his mother and he received at a young age and how it helped him and now it's the complete opposite. Now gov't assistance hurts people according to him.

Yeah, I meant his backing in general, I guess he's been spending a bunch of time and money in Iowa, and hitting all those nutty little "Freedom and Firearms" type events to keep his numbers up. There is a bit of Cosby involved (pre-rapist) where a successful black man is telling white people what they want to hear.

Yea for someone who is so smart he seems awfully fuicking dumb too.

Perry flew C-130's for a few years, Gilmore was stationed in Germany for Vietnam and Graham was a JAG officer. Not exactly combat vets. The only legit combat veteran this primary is a democrat, Jim Webb.

After your comment I decided to look up Webb's military service. It sounds like he was a bit of a bad ass:

He served as a platoon commander with Delta Company, 1st Battalion 5th Marines. He was awarded the Navy Cross for heroism in Vietnam, the second highest decoration in the Navy and Marine Corps. Webb also was awarded the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, and two Purple Hearts.[22]

The Navy Cross is presented to James H. Webb, Jr., First Lieutenant, U.S. Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving as a Platoon Commander with Company D, First Battalion, Fifth Marines, First Marine Division (Reinforced), Fleet Marine Force, in connection with combat operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam. On July 10, 1969, while participating in a company-sized search and destroy operation deep in hostile territory, First Lieutenant Webb's platoon discovered a well-camouflaged bunker complex that appeared to be unoccupied. Deploying his men into defensive positions, First Lieutenant Webb was advancing to the first bunker when three enemy soldiers armed with hand grenades jumped out. Reacting instantly, he grabbed the closest man and, brandishing his .45 caliber pistol at the others, apprehended all three of the soldiers. Accompanied by one of his men, he then approached the second bunker and called for the enemy to surrender. When the hostile soldiers failed to answer him and threw a grenade that detonated dangerously close to him, First Lieutenant Webb detonated a claymore mine in the bunker aperture, accounting for two enemy casualties and disclosing the entrance to a tunnel. Despite the smoke and debris from the explosion and the possibility of enemy soldiers hiding in the tunnel, he then conducted a thorough search that yielded several items of equipment and numerous documents containing valuable intelligence data. Continuing the assault, he approached a third bunker and was preparing to fire into it when the enemy threw another grenade. Observing the grenade land dangerously close to his companion, First Lieutenant Webb simultaneously fired his weapon at the enemy, pushed the Marine away from the grenade, and shielded him from the explosion with his own body. Although sustaining painful fragmentation wounds from the explosion, he managed to throw a grenade into the aperture and completely destroy the remaining bunker. By his courage, aggressive leadership, and selfless devotion to duty, First Lieutenant Webb upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service.[23]

Source

He's not a debater either - no real experience in it. He's best to just be low key and seem credible and knowledgable. Leave his attacks and craziness away from the debates when he's seen in direct side-by-side comparison to the other candidates, and when it's just a crazy tweet or minute soundbyte and then he could damage control it, or have his campaign do it.

With 10 debaters, commercials and time for question to be asked and such, most candidates will have maybe 6-7 minutes of actual response time over the whole of the debate.

Yea for someone who is so smart he seems awfully fuicking dumb too.

He's skilled in his field, to be sure, but that doesn't really translate into anything you can really use in politics, or even point to a general level of intelligence outside that field. He tried to do the Trump, but he just didn't do it as well or as big.

He's not a debater either - no real experience in it. He's best to just be low key and seem credible and knowledgable. Leave his attacks and craziness away from the debates when he's seen in direct side-by-side comparison to the other candidates, and when it's just a crazy tweet or minute soundbyte and then he could damage control it, or have his campaign do it.

With 10 debaters, commercials and time for question to be asked and such, most candidates will have maybe 6-7 minutes of actual response time over the whole of the debate.

I just dont know if he can contain himself. The thing is he probably could have a lot of decent ideas, he just comes off like such a twat sometimes its hard to take ANYTHING he says seriously. Ill be surprised if he is able to handle having a limited time to talk like an adult without whining and bitching about something. I hope he doesnt duck face the entire time as well.

He's skilled in his field, to be sure, but that doesn't really translate into anything you can really use in politics, or even point to a general level of intelligence outside that field. He tried to do the Trump, but he just didn't do it as well or as big.

Its just if you make it to the level he has in the field that he has i expect you to be smart in other ways just as a result of being so smart in what you do. Then he says some of the shit he does, and i just find myself in amazement that the same guy thats saying what hes saying is a doctor, and a pretty respected one at that. I guess i assume some sort of residual smartness.

Back