1. Sherdog will be undergoing additional maintenance in a few hours, lasting until 6am EST. The site may experience some technical difficulties during this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

First Fight!!

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by mdcholakian, Aug 9, 2016.

1. mdcholakian

mdcholakian White Belt

Hello folks, i've been training kickboxing since December 2015 and i know it's a very short time but I committed to have my first fight this Saturday.-

It's no big deal, 3 rounds of 1:30 in the place i go training, all organized by my teachers.

I'm training and dieting hard, but my confidence is going down the last days. I'm going to fight a guy who has no fights like me and a similar weight. But since I'm a newbie, maybe the guy has more experience practicing but he just never fight yet.-

I don't know, these are maybe the usual nerves...

What do u think? Any advice?

Thanks!!

2. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

You're already prepped, most of the time the opponent picked out in terms of skill, size, record is pretty similar to you. I don't think you'll be facing a sandbagger, unless the coaches got lazy looking to detail and the guy's a crafty one at hiding his record.

The only advice I can give at this stage, is to go out and have a blast. You've been drilling techniques, gameplan, tactics, etc over 8 weeks now, and nothing said now will change or alter it.

Relax, try not to think about anything, and use this week to unwind.

A fight, esp. at newer stage is more run on instinct, than technique. Its why most coaches will have you equipped with 1 combo, basic defense, and have you retaliate ASAP while pushing with aggression.

Its going to be an intense fight. The shorter the round, the more of a sprint it is.

Anyways, good luck with your fight.

Sano likes this.
  3. mdcholakian

mdcholakian White Belt

Thanks!! Great advice!!

The relaxation part is really difficult LOL... but it's a fact than being relaxed more than trying to crash in every punch will make me box better.

4. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    I've said it before on similar threads. Just go and fight, and listen to your coach and have fun and try not to panic.

If you lose, who cares? Do you think you'll care in 6 months time if you lost a fight? It's just a fight, don't panic. Go in with a clear mindset and you'll have a much better chance of getting that win :)

mdcholakian and Sano like this.
  5. Sano

Sano Red Belt

It's hard, everyone who has been through it knows. I personally got wired as hell leading up to my first fight. Way more than what was necessary. Trust your training, do your best to keep your mind off it and relax. Rest and prepare.

Don't worry, everything will be alright. There's your corner, it's a ring, there's a ref. It's a great opportunity. When the fight comes, you turn that switch, use what you have learned and let the chips fall where they may. Don't get intimidated. I like to think of it as if I was standing infront of a wild animal that is about to pounce. There's no crowd, there's no judgement, there's no failure or success, no where to go, there is only fighting. Just you and the beast. You have to embrace that fear and accept that the only option is to fight without hesitation. Take that suckers head off! Everyone has their own way of dealing with it.

Haha, but save that shit for the ring! :) Chill during the week and have fun! Good luck! It's a great experience.

AndyTran, mdcholakian and AndyMaBobs like this.
  6. mdcholakian

mdcholakian White Belt

You're right!! Thanks

AndyMaBobs likes this.
  7. mdcholakian

mdcholakian White Belt

It's the experience, yes... Thanks to all. You're helpin to chill.

8. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

youre going to murder the guy. Fuck him and his parents. You're stronger, better and in better shape. You're a god damn champion

mdcholakian and roventu like this.
  9. mdcholakian

mdcholakian White Belt

LOL thanks!! I wasn't lookin the fight thing from that angle. I'm more of the sportsmanship mind, but u all are right. I need intensity, it's my best asset.

10. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

Sportsmanship is for afterwards. No quarter. When I noticed my opponents head gear was slipping and starting to cover one of his eyes i pounced and started hammering homes straight lefts from the blind side while he was against the ropes.

The next round when he saw my gas tank failing he went to work on my body and tried to beat the fight out of me. We still hugged it out afterwards

j123 and mdcholakian like this.
  11. mdcholakian

mdcholakian White Belt

Have to tear him down, no other choice.

I'm nervous and mostly tired. I need to get rid of 4 pounds, the mirror and people told me this weak i'm famelic; but the scale is not cooperating. Training a lot. All day sleepy and hungry, even the dog candies where tempting last night.

Last night i told my wife her soap smell really good, and she joked me that it has almost no calories LOL

Sano likes this.
  12. j123

Slip a roofie in his drink when he's rehydrating for max effectiveness. Or fight him as soon as he gets out of the sauna dehydrated.
    WWE taught me alot in my youth.

AndyMaBobs likes this.
  13. mdcholakian

mdcholakian White Belt

Today i see my fight almost done... I arrive training and told there were no debutants in 155lbs...
    But my trainer -formerly world champion of WAKO- told me i'm fighting. So its confirmed!!

In another news, i'm just a pound away... Yes!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    j123 likes this.
  14. mdcholakian

mdcholakian White Belt

Well the day finally came!! It was difficult to find me a newbie that wanted to step up the ring in the 155lbs or aproximately. So it was an exhibition with a guy who is teenager but taller (6' 1" against 5" 9') and 171lbs. He is younger but it was his 3rd or these kind of fights.

I loved the experience, but I already knew i wasn't ready enough. My only wish now is to go for better cardio, cut to 145lbs to fight smaller guys and of course and mainly the technique.

Too much boxing, awful low kicks and very few kicking in general.

I'm the one with black and orange venum headgear. I'm willing to receive all your commentaries even if the are cruel enough to feed this fighter.

1ST ROUND

2ND ROUND

3RD ROUND

Sano likes this.
  15. Sano

Sano Red Belt

Well done man. Balls on you for taking a new and bigger opponent like that! You stayed in there and did good, it's a learning experience.

Respect!

mdcholakian likes this.
  16. j123

Not bad.
    You need to keep your opponent in the corner better. Its a problem with all new guys, myself included at the time. We all spar with our teammates, and after a combo, we let off and restart. Doing that throughout all camp ingrains a bad habit.
    Your opponent when escaping through your left: use hooks to get him moving back, he escapes the other side, use your rear kick. You can even push him back in, it works well actually.

At Rnd1 0:35-0:40, you had him on the ropes, and I don't know why you backed up and left him push. Try not to do that.

But man, that ring looks tiny

I like how you retaliate well, and know how to "fight". I find an issue with newer guys is that they are too technical and didn't learn how to fight. Too much thought that if the tech. is off, then it shouldn't be done. That's not a good way about things. Its good you don't have that, and you do know how to fight/brawl.

There are a few times where you were a bit tired, and was getting cautious of your opponent's strikes. Imo, try not to over think things, when you start getting worried and overthink, its when you start losing. You stop being offensive, and they continue working while you aren't and thats not good.
    Its a good thing it didn't happen long, but it did come up occasionally.

Was clinching banned? At the range you were at, alot of times (putting your opponent on the ropes), was a good time as any other to start clinching. A knee from the outside would be very effective as well. Those are the ones that you don't brace for, and lead to TKOs usually. A proper outside knee (good lean back so you don't get hit) when they're committing to a cross is a beautiful thing.

imo you won that one, the W would've been yours if this was a fully sanctioned ammy fight. You were more aggressive and had good ring control.

mdcholakian likes this.
  17. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

I'm a big proponent of the Muta mist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sano and j123 like this.
  18. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Also, good on you for fighting. Good first fight too, especially in that shoebox sized ring

j123 and mdcholakian like this.
  19. mdcholakian

mdcholakian White Belt

Man, I really aprecciate your post. Very well written and u put a lot of dedication to it. Thank you really much. I owe u.

Clinching was forbidden, yes. Anyway it's a nice observation, all the trainers and teammates told me i go so much ahead so learning the clinch is something i'm gonna do in the future.

Sometimes and was so tired, didn't have the strength and i was being cautious cause in the first seconds of the fight i kick his balls trying to have the inside part of his front leg. Because he is a teenager after that I really could feed confortable kicking him. A newbie mistake.

Thanks for the winning comments, I agree the tie because he land some serious shots that i didn't or couldn't.

Sano and AndyMaBobs like this.
  20. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

I gotta echo this, because this is an issue I STILL have sometimes where I try so hard on technique that I end up kinda not fighting. I have to try to work it out by just feinting lots and keeping a really high pace to over compensate :p

I caught it bad because I'm a southpaw as well, so much of what you get taught starting out then is about how to be very technical that you do kinda not learn how to fight. Ironically it's my sambo training that is getting that habit out of me at the moment and getting me to be more aggressive and work more.

mdcholakian likes this.