First few MMA lessons

geoffreysquire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I been to 2 classes now of MMA (wrestling and BJJ) classes, Ive never done anything like this before. I enjoyed them, was tapping most of the time whilst sparring but it was a good laugh and the guys were cool. This morning though i woke up and had a pain on the top of my left ear, and it was annoying me whilst sleeping. I have heard of cabbage ears...is this the beginning?? :redface:

Also I got a mouthguard...but got it at the price of $5. so its a crap one. do most of you guys have custom fitted ones? I am doing MT/ boxing as well and saw the sparring which was quite hard and dont know if that mouthguard will do the job.

thanks

geoffreysquire said:
Hi,

I been to 2 classes now of MMA (wrestling and BJJ) classes, Ive never done anything like this before. I enjoyed them, was tapping most of the time whilst sparring but it was a good laugh and the guys were cool. This morning though i woke up and had a pain on the top of my left ear, and it was annoying me whilst sleeping. I have heard of cabbage ears...is this the beginning?? :redface:

Also I got a mouthguard...but got it at the price of $5. so its a crap one. do most of you guys have custom fitted ones? I am doing MT/ boxing as well and saw the sparring which was quite hard and dont know if that mouthguard will do the job.

thanks

Just a quick comment here, it is actually called cauliflower ear, and if it starts to get puffy, then yes it just may be the start of "cauli" as some people here call it.

On mouth guards, I will suggest for sparring a mouth guard that covers the top and bottom teeth, with a space in the middle to breathe.

p1915103nm.jpg

versus single mouthguards, which dont protect too much, can be hard to breathe with, and will fall out from time to time.

mouthgrd.jpg

And welcome to the wonderful world of mma.

thanks for the advice mate. I live in the UK so I dont know if i can get those mouthguards. do you know of a website that sells them? Also how can i prevent the cauliflower ears, I really really dont need them im ugly enough! LOL What causes them?

from what i am told, what causes cauli is broken cartiledge in the ears. Someone hitting you in the ear, rubbing your ear roughly, these all cause it. You could wear wrestling head gear, that helps alot. As for mouth pieces im not sure. Most sporting good stores in the states carry them. I can't think of any place online.

Back