First Deuce Place at Tournament.

Jimmy Cerra

Amateur Fighter
@Black
Reaction score
I won first place in both the gi and no-gi grappling lightweight novice divisions in the Ultimate Force 2005 tournament. I wrestled twice with my kimono on and twice without. Therefore, I went 4-0 today. :) Pictures and video forthcomming.

I spent all week stressing over my weight (I was 160, now I'm 152) and having nightmares about losing in the first ten seconds. It is a relief!!! I am a little nervous too; since, now I will have to do well in the intermediate or beginner divisions in the future... Does anyone else feel not as good as they thought they would after winning?

Congrats on the wins! Was this your first tournament?

No. I've been in four (really six, but those two were random things); however, I started grappling in April. It was the first time I won first place, and the first time I ever competed with a gi on, though. I entered practically every tournament I could find so that I would get more experience and have a good time. Some people wait until they compete; however, that seems silly to me. I never compete solely to win and winning feels weird to me this time. But good. :wink: Thanks for the congrats!

You definitely earned them both.

Keep it up.

Gratz bro, i was gana head down to that one but it seemed really small and the drive would have been awile. I'll be in the burgh for the Kumate Classic tho...

Frodo said:
I entered practically every tournament I could find so that I would get more experience and have a good time. Some people wait until they compete; however, that seems silly to me. I never compete solely to win...

What a great attitude. It took me nearly 6 years to get to a similar mental place about competitions.

Congrats.

Thanks everyone!

Kyle Johnson said:
Gratz bro, i was gana head down to that one but it seemed really small and the drive would have been awile. I'll be in the burgh for the Kumate Classic tho...
The last Kumite Classic was the first "real" competition I entered. I went in after just starting with only about one month of semi-regular training; I was also 35 pounds fatter then. I had no clue what I was doing and got key-locked within two minutes. That loss must be avenged!

Bubble Boy said:
What a great attitude. It took me nearly 6 years to get to a similar mental place about competitions.
Thanks. It took me about the same amount of time to start exercising and stop taking my depression and weight gain as inevitable. Jiu-Jitsu certainly changed my life in drastic ways.

94porkchop said:
congrats man.when and where is your next tourney?
Right now I only have the Kumite Classic scheduled; however, I will probably add one or two in the meantime.

Back