First day sparring and feeling down

Haha I got MASSACRED the first time I sparred. And I trained for close to a year on and off before I sparred for the first time. I was basically a double end bag for an hour. Everyone get theirs. It won't be the last time either. Three years from now if you're still training, someone will hand you your ass on a silver platter. You learn to actually appreciate it, being humbled every once in awhile is a good thing. At my old gym I was Top 5.. got to my new gym and got the shit kicked out of me by damn near everyone, I'd like to think I am now a better fighter/person for it.

if you aren't getting soundly beat after only a few weeks of muay thai during sparring you aren't going to the right gym. It takes a long time and a lot of sparring before you get your timing and distance down. Keep sparring and you will eventually get better.

I remember my first sparring session. getting my ass handed to me actually made me want to learn more!

edit: Also good luck with your training! Keep at it and you will notice your improvements after each session. take time to think about what happened in sparring and how you can improve on it

3 whole weeks? Are you on the next season of ultimate fighter yet?

Yup, it happens to everyone, Man. I had a headache for two days after my first sparring session. Everyone imagines himself as being a good fighter, until he finally gets in the ring and sees how complicated it is. Just stick with it, and you'll get better.

I'll give you something else to think about. You know when you go to the sports bar to watch UFC, and you see those beefcakes acting like douchebags, talking about "what they would do if they were in the cage"? Now you know that 90% of those guys have never actually laced up a pair of gloves. Why? Because if they had been through that first day of sparring like you have, they wouldn't be talking like that :)

Same here man. I got nailed with a nasty left hook to my head and a headache ensued for 48 hours after. :icon_sad:

To the TS, don't quit.
You'll only get better each time you spar.

Your first sparring session is supposed to suck. Afterwards its usually gets better, but sometimes you do have bad days. I've been training Muay Thai for over a year now, sometimes I do great in sparring, then the next time I get destroyed.

I got punched in the nose in the first second of my first sparring.

If you've only hand a handful of lessons, the sparring should be very light, technique really.

Nonetheless, what you're feeling is normal. It's very common for beinners to train for a while, spar, get hit in th face a couple of times and never come back.

The best thing fo you to do is get back into it as soon as you can, that way you'll get over it, get used to it and improve. Oh, and i will get worse. At some point you'll get your nose cracked or a bruised eye and that will be a eal test to see if you want to carry on!

I completely got my ass handed to me the first time I sparred. I got rocked twice, was dizzy, and my instructor asked me several times if I was OK. This wasn't because I was hit hard, but more that when I was hit I was so bad they easily hit me right on the chin. It's a good thing your first session went poorly. You don't want to be at a school where you're doing good against guys your first time sparring. You're paying to learn. Just like you'd expect Kasparov to hand you your ass in chess with no experience, you should expect the same from experienced people. Stick with it.

first time i sparred mt i got outclassed and smacked around; an while its a big shock to the system, esp if you have prior experience in martial arts cus your used to a certain amount of success when doing combat sports.

but i kept going..kept training and stayed dedicated to the process; an not only did i get better, BUT i got the respect of the people i have been training w/. An those two things are priceless.

sidenote-when you really get it going or get better, its a great feeling cus you can and will see it; but the people you train will notice it too...an that's pretty freaking awesome.

Your first sparring session is supposed to suck. Afterwards its usually gets better, but sometimes you do have bad days. I've been training Muay Thai for over a year now, sometimes I do great in sparring, then the next time I get destroyed.

qft

i have had days where im a punching bag w/arms and legs and then i have days like saturday night when im putting in work lol.

The first time my friend sparred he went up against our gyms main instructor, who is a Black Belt under Jacare Cavalcanti, and has an extensive background in Martial Arts. What happened was they measured each other up for a few seconds, then my friend got taken down and crushed against the wall, he rolled over but got mounted and got hit with blows after blows, until the session ended.

First time sparring is brutal for everyone, keep your head up.

My first time sparring kickboxing was an introduction to leg kicks - damn my legs were sore for a week afterwards.

My first time sparring boxing was an introduction to hand speed - try as I might puches were landing on me from all angles.

But damn so much fun.

After I first session of sparring, I remember thinking to myself "it was so much easier on the pads". At the end of a session I always ask my sparring partner to let me know what I was doing wrong so I can improve for the next time.

Back