First day sparring and feeling down

LilLydi9

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing Muay Thai for only about 3 weeks now i go twice a week for about an hour at a time and today we sparred. Honestly, i thought i would be alot better, but i did not do too good. My head movement was horrible. Did anyone else feel down on themselves like i do after their first time sparring?

you are supposed to get beat up your first time. It happens to everyone

Honestly, this is the test.

All us guys who have done this for awhile all watch after the first session. i see new blood doing great for beginners but in their heads they think their a spike tv UFC highlight reel. When reality sinks in, two things happen. They either quit or they come back to do better.

So what are you going to do?

You gonna be a quitter?

or

Pay your dues and put in the time... you WILL be as good as you think you are. It just takes time.

When you been there for a year (im guessing you're not a quitter) you'll see guys coming in and out like a revolving door. Don't be a quitter. One day you'll look back and think, i was pretty damn good as a new blood, if you stick with it.

Honestly, the coaches won't care if you get beat up when you first start sparring. They probably just want to see if you have balls because a lot of people give up after they get beat in sparring. Just keep going man and you will improve quick.

You know the guys you see at training and think "man, I wish I could do that"?
Well at one time they were just like you.

Everyone starts at the beginning.
Train hard and good luck!

I have been doing Muay Thai for only about 3 weeks now i go twice a week for about an hour at a time and today we sparred. Honestly, i thought i would be alot better, but i did not do too good. My head movement was horrible. Did anyone else feel down on themselves like i do after their first time sparring?

No...because I made sure to spar someone newer than I was !!! Now that the joking is done...

The first time I sparred in Muay Thai, was against the coach's younger brother. Ironically--his name was "Pray". Seriously. He asked if I was ready, I said yes. He hit me with a hook, I dropped to one knee.

First time I'd even been hit in the face hard. No one else could do it--but to be honest I was intimidated by this guy. He outweighed me and was all muscle. Took me a good 6 months till I figured out how to beat him.

You'll find your thing soon. The more you spar the more comfortable you'll be with it.

So, you have trained for 2 x week for 3 weeks and you started sparring? That's 6 classes, man! Please tell me it was some sort of limited or select/situational sparring as opposed to Full-On.
If it wasn't, I'd probably look for a new gym.

If it was (limited or situational) then don't worry about it, man. Like everyone else said, you're gonna get your ass kicked for a bit. EVERY ONE does.

Yup, it happens to everyone, Man. I had a headache for two days after my first sparring session. Everyone imagines himself as being a good fighter, until he finally gets in the ring and sees how complicated it is. Just stick with it, and you'll get better.

I'll give you something else to think about. You know when you go to the sports bar to watch UFC, and you see those beefcakes acting like douchebags, talking about "what they would do if they were in the cage"? Now you know that 90% of those guys have never actually laced up a pair of gloves. Why? Because if they had been through that first day of sparring like you have, they wouldn't be talking like that :)

Yeah man, just keep at it. If you fall off the horse, dust yourself and get back on! I had a similar situation, it wasn't my first time sparring, but I was definitely handed my first complete ass-whooping a couple weeks ago. I've been sparring for about 4 months now, and that was the first time I felt truly discouraged. I shied away from a few sparring sessions after that. Some encouragement from my coaches and I was back in the ring a week later though.

LOL. I was beat up so bad when I started sparring I thought I must have been the worst fighter in history. I was just getting beat the eff up for like a month every Wed nght. But after a while I started to show a little improvement in our MMA class but was still sloppy as hell. Then I started Muay Thai only classes and discovered that I kind of had a talent and started to spar a lot more. Now I'm probably in the top 2 at stand-up at my gym and dudes are scared to go against me. They never land as I just brutalize them.

I'm not saying this to brag but to say I've been there and hang in there. You will get better if you stick with it. Striking is hard, real hard but when you start getting good, you'll be amazed at how fun it is. And trust me, everyone respects a good striker..

The first time I sparred, I spent 80% of the time turtled up and trying to back away from my opponent. Happens to everyone.

The important thing to remember in sparring is to remain calm. If you stay nervous and fidgety, you are most likely not breathing correctly either, and that can take a lot out of you.

First time I sparred, I ate a round kick to the face. Good times...

dont be so hard on yourself. if you walk away from a sparring session saying you had learned a thing or two, then it was a successful session.

Before you get good, first you get beat. This goes for anything you do in life. Keep at it and you'll eventually get better. Good luck.

Everyone is pretty spot on. Your gonna get your ass kicked the first time you spar. If not the first time, then eventually. Takes a while to get your timing and your footwork down. That comes with MORE SPARRING. So keep at it if your serious about training.

If your the one kicking ass your first day sparring... THEN there is a problem

your situation is normal

I'm kind of surprised that nobody else has commented on the fact he's only trained about 6 times and is sparring already.

My first sparring session was an embarassment.

The guy I was going against was smaller than me so I figured I had an advantage, and then I heard the trainer tell him not to use his kicks and to only use his left hand. I got the wind knocked out of me and got my head bounced around like it was attached to a paddleboard.

It took me a while, but now I'm one of the top students in my gym and I consistently out-spar the guy who gave me that first beating.

Stick with it.

I'm kind of surprised that nobody else has commented on the fact he's only trained about 6 times and is sparring already.

when I read his post, I was really surprised he is sparring already or that his coach has let him do so. I hope this is light sparring, but these days anyone can spar just after one day of training. some coaches just aren't that strict anymore.

Back