first day of wrestling

GeeGee said:
yeah man, its kinda hard to imagine doing it everyday, but i guess we'll get use to it. ill update u on our 3rd practice. i really need some kneepads though, my knees are all bruised and they feel scraped.

yea exactly, im sitting now at home, tired & sore, and thinking how this is just the second day. In the end though, i guess its worth it :D

Ruick said:
yea exactly, im sitting now at home, tired & sore, and thinking how this is just the second day. In the end though, i guess its worth it :D

We'll pull through, the good thing is that wrestling is supposedly the hardest sport in high school, so any other sport we do after the season should be a cinch. I'm really sore to dude, I just ate 3 pieces of beef with some rice, and a protein shake. It's weird though, when I weighed in today, I was 1 pound heavier.

hah i hear that alot. my friend whose both a wrestler and a baseball player says that baseball practice is a joke compared to wrestling, in terms of how much training we do and such. And while were doing intense drilling, our coach is shouting that the gym isnt filled, cause wrestling is a hard sport. So i'd say its pretty intense, but i'd assume my schools football team would be harder yet (we've won 3 out of our last 4 state championships) but wrestling beats everything else

ahhh... i had my 3rd day of wrestling today, hardest day for me yet. we did the usual drills and such, pyramid sprints, we easily did over 50 today, and then we had to run 2 miles in 18 minutes, if you dont run it in 18 you gotta run another mile. and this is when I found out i am the least athletic person i know, i literally cannot run 1/4 of a mile without being exhausted, my ankle was hurt because this kid i live wrestled fell on it, and my chest felt like it was scrunching up. what does it mean if you have chest pain after an exercise? i dont know about you guys, but i seriously do not know someone who is my weight and cant run half a mile without being exhausted, i was even behind the heavyweights, i questioned myself, wtf is wrong with me? is athleticism a genetic thing by any means? i really dont understand, at that point i was thinking of quitting, but ill go till the end of the week and think about it.

GeeGee said:
ahhh... i had my 3rd day of wrestling today, hardest day for me yet. we did the usual drills and such, pyramid sprints, we easily did over 50 today, and then we had to run 2 miles in 18 minutes, if you dont run it in 18 you gotta run another mile. and this is when I found out i am the least athletic person i know, i literally cannot run 1/4 of a mile without being exhausted, my ankle was hurt because this kid i live wrestled fell on it, and my chest felt like it was scrunching up. what does it mean if you have chest pain after an exercise? i dont know about you guys, but i seriously do not know someone who is my weight and cant run half a mile without being exhausted, i was even behind the heavyweights, i questioned myself, wtf is wrong with me? is athleticism a genetic thing by any means? i really dont understand, at that point i was thinking of quitting, but ill go till the end of the week and think about it.

One thing that you should probably take into account (regarding being beat by the heavyweights in running) ... and this might not be the case, but not only are you new, but you might have been training a lot harder and more intensely than they were during all of the other drills/sprints, hence, why you were so gassed. Those heavyweights might not have been pushing themselves so much during the drills beforehand like you, so maybe that's why they seemed to have more gas than you ... just a thought ....

bacon said:
I never used the pads. I had the asics sleeves. They move around but its better than mat burn. Try shaving your knees. The sleeves and the pads will rip the hair out if you don't. Some wrestlers shave there legs....but that's a bit much for me.

... couldn't you also just wear sweatpants to prevent mat burn and what not? that's what I do ...

Diligent said:
One thing that you should probably take into account (regarding being beat by the heavyweights in running) ... and this might not be the case, but not only are you new, but you might have been training a lot harder and more intensely than they were during all of the other drills/sprints, hence, why you were so gassed. Those heavyweights might not have been pushing themselves so much during the drills beforehand like you, so maybe that's why they seemed to have more gas than you ... just a thought ....

well yeah, i was trying my hardest. I've never done a sport, my body isnt use to this kind of intensity at all. when i did the sprints i was jogging my hardest, i cant run fast, and i tried my hardest to keep up with everyone on the track, and that was just as difficult. whilst the coach was yelling "do not jog the sprints, that will not help you in a match"

GeeGee said:
well yeah, i was trying my hardest. I've never done a sport, my body isnt use to this kind of intensity at all. when i did the sprints i was jogging my hardest, i cant run fast, and i tried my hardest to keep up with everyone on the track, and that was just as difficult. whilst the coach was yelling "do not jog the sprints, that will not help you in a match"

at certain times, when running an intense drill or running there are atleast a few seconds, probably at the end when you just feel like you cant handle it anymore - you gotta stick with it. sure you feel like quitting right then and there, but afterwards you feel accomplished and it seems like there wasnt any pain at all. About your running, you just have to practice.. running. The heavyweights might of had been cheating like someone else mentioned, or they've simply been running alot and are used to the pain. And about your coach, my coach says the SAME thing for every drill we do. He's just trying to motivate everyone, and if you're trying youre best he'll understand that (well most do). Try breathing evenly and deeply when you run, and stretch good (important).

Now about my third day. Same running as the day before, and we did more conditioning inside.. wheelbarrow with partners, crawling, hand walking with partners, spinning,etc. moves, review and some new ones. So it was pretty easy till the end, when the coach suprised us with some cardio. did the bike, stairmaster, steps, this other stairmaster? you move foward and your hands hold and move with you by holding the bars. All of it was easy, till the abs.. i found my weakness. Well actually crunches werent bad, but then we had to do two excercises that i was struggling with. You had to put one of those big bouncy balls in between your legs, then raise your legs 90 degrees, and the second was almost the same - but you throw your legs up and your partner pushes them down, cant touch the floor. I was struggling with the first one.. was raising only like 35-45 degrees up.. then the second time around.. i found out that i have alot of trouble doing leg lifts... i was trying to pull my legs up and my the guy i was working with was one of the captain kids and he kept yelling to try harder, and it was massively hard. What muscles does it train? I'm gonna start doing basic leg lifts or something at home now, and work on those so that doesnt happen again.

also, we were learning this new move where the person on top flings your arm up and drags your leg, and basically the guy on bottom falls flat on his chest. When i was on bottom, most of the time like youre suppose to i was putting out my arms but a few times i just hit the ground hard. I didn't feel anything during practice but now when i bend backwards or stretch upwards i have this alittle pain to the right of my left nipple. Is this ok?

GeeGee said:

Let me tell you as a heavyweight wrestler. just beacuse I might be bigger does not mean that I am not in shape and have not put the time in on the road or the mat.

You are new to the sport and young to boot. read my tag line.

Keep showing up and you will get better.

GeeGee said:

Remember what Yoda said " DO or do not their is not try."

Go till you cannot go any more and thebn ask some one to push you even more.

I use to puke for the first week of wrestling then after that I was fine.

Ruick said:
hah i hear that alot. my friend whose both a wrestler and a baseball player says that baseball practice is a joke compared to wrestling, in terms of how much training we do and such. And while were doing intense drilling, our coach is shouting that the gym isnt filled, cause wrestling is a hard sport. So i'd say its pretty intense, but i'd assume my schools football team would be harder yet (we've won 3 out of our last 4 state championships) but wrestling beats everything else

Wrestling is harder. If you suck on a football feild, you got other guys to help you out. If you suck on a mat, you.......um....suck on a mat. See the difference? I used to play football at 170, I wrestled at 152. The practice is definitly harder.

GeeGee said:

If this is your first attempt at playing a sport, you picked the hardest one! Stay with it and push yourself to do better everyday. DO NOT QUIT! I used to coach HS wrestling and I've seen a lot of kids give up on themselves. It's sad to watch. No matter how hard it gets, stick with it. You'll come out the other side a better man. Good luck

Ruick said:
at certain times, when running an intense drill or running there are atleast a few seconds, probably at the end when you just feel like you cant handle it anymore - you gotta stick with it. sure you feel like quitting right then and there, but afterwards you feel accomplished and it seems like there wasnt any pain at all. About your running, you just have to practice.. running. The heavyweights might of had been cheating like someone else mentioned, or they've simply been running alot and are used to the pain. And about your coach, my coach says the SAME thing for every drill we do. He's just trying to motivate everyone, and if you're trying youre best he'll understand that (well most do). Try breathing evenly and deeply when you run, and stretch good (important).

Now about my third day. Same running as the day before, and we did more conditioning inside.. wheelbarrow with partners, crawling, hand walking with partners, spinning,etc. moves, review and some new ones. So it was pretty easy till the end, when the coach suprised us with some cardio. did the bike, stairmaster, steps, this other stairmaster? you move foward and your hands hold and move with you by holding the bars. All of it was easy, till the abs.. i found my weakness. Well actually crunches werent bad, but then we had to do two excercises that i was struggling with. You had to put one of those big bouncy balls in between your legs, then raise your legs 90 degrees, and the second was almost the same - but you throw your legs up and your partner pushes them down, cant touch the floor. I was struggling with the first one.. was raising only like 35-45 degrees up.. then the second time around.. i found out that i have alot of trouble doing leg lifts... i was trying to pull my legs up and my the guy i was working with was one of the captain kids and he kept yelling to try harder, and it was massively hard. What muscles does it train? I'm gonna start doing basic leg lifts or something at home now, and work on those so that doesnt happen again.

LOL. memories... The exercise where you lay on you back and your partner throws your feet at the floor is a killer. We used to call the "motherfuckers" for obvious reasons. Keep doing them, you'll get stronger.

Gothic_Coop said:
Let me tell you as a heavyweight wrestler. just beacuse I might be bigger does not mean that I am not in shape and have not put the time in on the road or the mat.

You are new to the sport and young to boot. read my tag line.

Keep showing up and you will get better.

Most heavyweights are also linemen (football), so they're already in pretty good shape going into wrestling season.

Hey Nizzle, 189 is a tough weight class. You'll be up against some strong guys. Just remember, speed kills and Technique pwns.

bacon said:
If this is your first attempt at playing a sport, you picked the hardest one! Stay with it and push yourself to do better everyday. DO NOT QUIT! I used to coach HS wrestling and I've seen a lot of kids give up on themselves. It's sad to watch. No matter how hard it gets, stick with it. You'll come out the other side a better man. Good luck

you're right, im not gonna quit, i must finish what i have begun, I can not imagine seeing the kids from wrestling practice everyday at school and tease me for quitting, its something i must do, its a goal for me. today for me was so much better, and actually pretty fun, we did the usual drills. and then jumpropes, learned the banana something, forgot what its called, but its basically you figure 4 your legs to one of his, and pull the other towards you, and force him to make a split, i got that one pretty good. i also learned the half nelson correctly this time, and the guillotine, ouch. then the coach picked 2 team captains, the captains picked out people to be on their teams, there were 2 teams. there is a line where each team stands opposite of each other, and the game we played was to drag the other person on to your side and make them cross the line, it was pretty fun. and then we had a few sprints, went to the weight room and did circuit training, and that pretty much summed up my day. sunday we're running 5 miles, and then up and down bleachers.

bacon said:
Wrestling is harder. If you suck on a football feild, you got other guys to help you out. If you suck on a mat, you.......um....suck on a mat. See the difference? I used to play football at 170, I wrestled at 152. The practice is definitly harder.

Actually my friend who is a heavyweight in wrestling played football, he said it was the easiest sport he had ever done.

GeeGee said:
you're right, im not gonna quit, i must finish what i have begun, I can not imagine seeing the kids from wrestling practice everyday at school and tease me for quitting, its something i must do, its a goal for me. today for me was so much better, and actually pretty fun, we did the usual drills. and then jumpropes, learned the banana something, forgot what its called, but its basically you figure 4 your legs to one of his, and pull the other towards you, and force him to make a split, i got that one pretty good. i also learned the half nelson correctly this time, and the guillotine, ouch. then the coach picked 2 team captains, the captains picked out people to be on their teams, there were 2 teams. there is a line where each team stands opposite of each other, and the game we played was to drag the other person on to your side and make them cross the line, it was pretty fun. and then we had a few sprints, went to the weight room and did circuit training, and that pretty much summed up my day. sunday we're running 5 miles, and then up and down bleachers.

That is what it means to be a wrestler NEVER GIVE UP. You work hard and you play hard. Trust me it will get eaiser the harder you push your self.

BTW the move is called a banana split.

GeeGee said:
Actually my friend who is a heavyweight in wrestling played football, he said it was the easiest sport he had ever done.

Football is just what I played to pass the time until wrestling season.

Back