first day of wrestling

Ruick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
wow. practice went like this: we put on running gear, and jogged 1/2 a mile. Then we ran about 2 miles in indian (last guy on the line sprints to the front). We ran back inside, and put on wrestling gear. we drilled for about 30mins and learned new moves/did some live matches for about an hour. then we did some heavy drills.. this is where i almost died. we did the 6pt drill, right left shoot sprawl get up and roll w/o stopping for a while.. same with long pushups and abs. so practice went from 2:30 to 5:00. we changed abit, then went to the weight room and stayed there till 5:30.

Overall, i was pretty beat.. i def. have to work on my endurance on those drills. running wasnt that bad, i ran about 2-3 times a week for 2 months before wrestling. Hopefully this was just the first day, and i'll get used to it. Though i do feel abit overtrained, and i think the coach is going overboard with the lifting after practice.. everyone comes in exhausted and i dont think it helps your muscles at all doing it after such a practice.

Ok one major problem. http://www.sportsauthority.com/prod...=1306778&cp=2017929.2017931&parentPage=family

those are my kneepads. While i was doing shots, the pads kept moving and i had to keep adjusting them even though they were tight on my knees. the big problem though is they did more damage than good. I have like a skin rash (not sure how to call it) in the middle of my knee. I guess from it sliding around. What can i do? When i just took a shower it hurt like hell. I hope it doesnt get worse tomarrow, and i wont be able to shoot at all. What kind of other kneepads can i get? them being huge might be a problem, like ninja turtle pads..

Second, so what can i do to deal with my lack of energy on some of those endurance drills? For breakfast i have oatmeal w/ milk and a multivitamin. Lunch was a tuna sandwich (but cafeteria tuna, ie mayo in it). Breakfast being at 6:30 and lunch 12:00-12:30 with the practice starting at 2:30. During the practice i just had alittle bit of water. So how can i fix my lunch? should i just try to eat more? throw in granola bar in there or something? And during practice should i mix my water with some apple juice/gatorade/gen-c?

Man thats an intense workout. I would make sure I drank some sports drink during and after training and eat some high GI carbs after training. Some good quality protein aswell to aid muscle repair.

Sounds a cool class.

Dude, I was just going to make a thread titled the first day of wrestling.

I was able to handle everything alriht, except the sprinting. Sprinting makes me so nausas. I just threw up. = /

Swerve said:
Man thats an intense workout. I would make sure I drank some sports drink during and after training and eat some high GI carbs after training. Some good quality protein aswell to aid muscle repair.

Sounds a cool class.

its for my highschool wrestling team. last yr we did horrible, and the coach says hes gonna take us to the states this yr heh. Yea im gonna buy a box of gatorade then. I ate a chicken wrap and drank a protein shake after practice, that fine?

Ruick said:
wow. practice went like this: we put on running gear, and jogged 1/2 a mile. Then we ran about 2 miles in indian (last guy on the line sprints to the front). We ran back inside, and put on wrestling gear. we drilled for about 30mins and learned new moves/did some live matches for about an hour. then we did some heavy drills.. this is where i almost died. we did the 6pt drill, right left shoot sprawl get up and roll w/o stopping for a while.. same with long pushups and abs. so practice went from 2:30 to 5:00. we changed abit, then went to the weight room and stayed there till 5:30.

Overall, i was pretty beat.. i def. have to work on my endurance on those drills. running wasnt that bad, i ran about 2-3 times a week for 2 months before wrestling. Hopefully this was just the first day, and i'll get used to it. Though i do feel abit overtrained, and i think the coach is going overboard with the lifting after practice.. everyone comes in exhausted and i dont think it helps your muscles at all doing it after such a practice.

Ok one major problem. http://www.sportsauthority.com/prod...=1306778&cp=2017929.2017931&parentPage=family

those are my kneepads. While i was doing shots, the pads kept moving and i had to keep adjusting them even though they were tight on my knees. the big problem though is they did more damage than good. I have like a skin rash (not sure how to call it) in the middle of my knee. I guess from it sliding around. What can i do? When i just took a shower it hurt like hell. I hope it doesnt get worse tomarrow, and i wont be able to shoot at all. What kind of other kneepads can i get? them being huge might be a problem, like ninja turtle pads..

Second, so what can i do to deal with my lack of energy on some of those endurance drills? For breakfast i have oatmeal w/ milk and a multivitamin. Lunch was a tuna sandwich (but cafeteria tuna, ie mayo in it). Breakfast being at 6:30 and lunch 12:00-12:30 with the practice starting at 2:30. During the practice i just had alittle bit of water. So how can i fix my lunch? should i just try to eat more? throw in granola bar in there or something? And during practice should i mix my water with some apple juice/gatorade/gen-c?

I never used the pads. I had the asics sleeves. They move around but its better than mat burn. Try shaving your knees. The sleeves and the pads will rip the hair out if you don't. Some wrestlers shave there legs....but that's a bit much for me. First week of practice is the3 worst. Stick with it, it won't really get easier, but you'll get used to it. Bust your ass in practice or look like a fish in a match. Take yer pick.

As far as eating...I don't know what you weigh or what weight class you're shooting for but eat a bigger breakfast. It is always hard to eat healthy in a cafeteria, so just do the best you can.

If you wanna be great, you gotta practice outside of practice. Good Luck

thanks. yea i forgot to list: i weigh 145lb, 5"11. Gonna wrestle at 145. With this kind of intense workout though, i'm probably gonna quickly lose weight - so yea i should up the calories. Should i just eat more oatmeal or throw in some other food? perhaps some egg whites and whole wheat?

And what does everyone think about granola / protein bars in general? it would be an easy way to add in some calories for my lunch or breakfast meal.

By sleeves are you referring to one of those really light / gel pads? http://www.sportsauthority.com/prod...55&cp=2057779.979690.694086&parentPage=family

Every single day I whine about not going to a school that offers wrestling. I hate my parents for sending me to a nice school (well not really).

Sounds like an intense practice. Try to eat something between that breakfast and lunch. Maybe if you got a break or something, eat a granola bar or something.

Ruick said:
thanks. yea i forgot to list: i weigh 145lb, 5"11. Gonna wrestle at 145. With this kind of intense workout though, i'm probably gonna quickly lose weight - so yea i should up the calories. Should i just eat more oatmeal or throw in some other food? perhaps some egg whites and whole wheat?

And what does everyone think about granola / protein bars in general? it would be an easy way to add in some calories for my lunch or breakfast meal.

By sleeves are you referring to one of those really light / gel pads? http://www.sportsauthority.com/prod...55&cp=2057779.979690.694086&parentPage=family

Those look like the pads/sleeves I have, If you weigh 145 and you plan on wrestling 145 you'd better start eating. I don't know what your body composition is, but if you don't play football, you're probably a little soft (not a put down, just a reality). Remember that what you eat is just as important as how much and when. Definitly get some protien in at breakfast. Eggs (with yolks) are great.
If you're new to nutrition, check out menshealth.com. They have meal plans. Check out the other sherdog forums too. I could post eight pages on how a wrestler should eat...but I ain't gonna. Ask around, Coaches are excellent resources!!

Ruick said:
I have like a skin rash (not sure how to call it) in the middle of my knee. I guess from it sliding around. What can i do? When i just took a shower it hurt like hell. I hope it doesnt get worse tomarrow, and i wont be able to shoot at all.

Before practice, you may want to put a butterfly bandage or some kind of big bandaid over your knee area, so it can take the friction from your kneepads instead of rubbing off more of your own skin. It'll feel so much better, plus it'll help the burn heal.

After it heals, you may want to continue doing this. I think I would if I were in your situation.

Edit: oh yeah- if you don't think the bandage will stay on with all the shoot practice, you may want to tape it on real nice & good

I wouldn't use the knee pads unless your need them. After a week or two on the mat my knees get used to it and mat burn doesn't really bug me.

Ruick said:
its for my highschool wrestling team. last yr we did horrible, and the coach says hes gonna take us to the states this yr heh. Yea im gonna buy a box of gatorade then. I ate a chicken wrap and drank a protein shake after practice, that fine?

Thats the idea.

I would look like, if I eat really well then my bodies gonna adapt to the intensity as much as it can with no restrictions. The Gatorade is gonna help you keep up the intensity during class, help your body to refuel it's muscles after class.

I think this is important to prevent overtraining.

Good luck! Sounds as if your coach means business and it should definitly pay off!!

I had my first practice today too, 2:30 to 5. First thing we did was warmup, jogged around the mat for a while, shuffles, and then we formed 5 lines. We would do those drills where you put your legs in position as if you were going for a takedown, and do it with each leg all the way to the other side of the gym, what really got me a little dazed when we rolled(literally) across, when I got to the end and got up I was so dizzy. Then we did a bunch of drills, like tilby drills, and the ones where someone lays flat on their stomach and you jump over side to side, that killed my calves. Then we did frog hops, and all that, and then techniques. We did high doubles, singles, and high crotch, I liked those. The hardest part for me was when he made us jog around the matt for 20 minutes, and then said "sprint!" and we had to sprint for 2 minutes non stop, then we grab someone and carry them while running with them, and finally, walk on our hands, there were other technique running things we did but I forgot, by this point I was completely exhausted. We left the gym at 4:30 and went up the stairs to run up and down the halls which was easy, because he stayed at one end so we could walk the other end. Overall, it was hard, but not as hard as I imagined it being, but I'm pretty sure it'll get harder.

GeeGee said:
I had my first practice today too, 2:30 to 5. First thing we did was warmup, jogged around the mat for a while, shuffles, and then we formed 5 lines. We would do those drills where you put your legs in position as if you were going for a takedown, and do it with each leg all the way to the other side of the gym, what really got me a little dazed when we rolled(literally) across, when I got to the end and got up I was so dizzy. Then we did a bunch of drills, like tilby drills, and the ones where someone lays flat on their stomach and you jump over side to side, that killed my calves. Then we did frog hops, and all that, and then techniques. We did high doubles, singles, and high crotch, I liked those. The hardest part for me was when he made us jog around the matt for 20 minutes, and then said "sprint!" and we had to sprint for 2 minutes non stop, then we grab someone and carry them while running with them, and finally, walk on our hands, there were other technique running things we did but I forgot, by this point I was completely exhausted. We left the gym at 4:30 and went up the stairs to run up and down the halls which was easy, because he stayed at one end so we could walk the other end. Overall, it was hard, but not as hard as I imagined it being, but I'm pretty sure it'll get harder.

yea thats the basic way to drill, but today we were in 2 groups - the new kids and last yrs kids. the new kids were learning single,double,high crotch,etc. too. Yea we had to roll, literally. Makes you dizzy as hell.

so how did you do on your mat work geegee, boy sounds like yall are having fun, can't wait till i have my first bjj class.

yall keep it up and hang in their.

Brand Nizzle said:
You guys are lucky my practice goes to 6:30

mo practice = mo betta. What weight class you goin for nizzle?

I miss my high school wrestling days. Hey if you could make it through all that one your first day I say you got a great future ahead of ya bro. Keep at it.

marine said:
so how did you do on your mat work geegee, boy sounds like yall are having fun, can't wait till i have my first bjj class.

yall keep it up and hang in their.

well they said my physical paper didnt come through for some reason, so today I couldn't do any live wrestling, I'm kinda glad because the workout before that made me completely exhausted, some kid popped his ACL wrestling and screamed real loud, we thought he broke something. whilst everyone was wrestling, everyone that didnt have their physical papers approved had to jump rope, which wasnt bad at all. when we were doing the singles and high crotch takedowns, i saw i was getting better, but i get tired way too quickly, and it didnt help that both my legs were real sore from yesterday. after live wrestling, he made us sprint a shit load of times, i dont even remember how many, but for the last few times he said "the first to finish is finished with sprints", and me being the slow kid, i wasnt one of the first ones to finish. sprints suck so bad. but ahh well, i guess my body will recover faster as the season goes. after the stuff we did in the gym we went to the weight room, and i did shoulders/legs. only thing i hate about wrestling so far is that it takes up all my time, i literally feel like i go home at 9 and wake up, go to school and then wrestling, only time thats gonna be easy is saturday, where we run around the track a bit and up the bleacers, at 7 in the morning.

GeeGee said:
well they said my physical paper didnt come through for some reason, so today I couldn't do any live wrestling, I'm kinda glad because the workout before that made me completely exhausted, some kid popped his ACL wrestling and screamed real loud, we thought he broke something. whilst everyone was wrestling, everyone that didnt have their physical papers approved had to jump rope, which wasnt bad at all. when we were doing the singles and high crotch takedowns, i saw i was getting better, but i get tired way too quickly, and it didnt help that both my legs were real sore from yesterday. after live wrestling, he made us sprint a shit load of times, i dont even remember how many, but for the last few times he said "the first to finish is finished with sprints", and me being the slow kid, i wasnt one of the first ones to finish. sprints suck so bad. but ahh well, i guess my body will recover faster as the season goes. after the stuff we did in the gym we went to the weight room, and i did shoulders/legs. only thing i hate about wrestling so far is that it takes up all my time, i literally feel like i go home at 9 and wake up, go to school and then wrestling, only time thats gonna be easy is saturday, where we run around the track a bit and up the bleacers, at 7 in the morning.

awesome, keep posting updates of your practice. i feel you 100%. Were doing similar things, and going to the weight room after. I was also really sore from the day before, and i felt like i would be too tired before i started. After stretching/running though it wasn't a problem. Same here dude! every day i feel like just going to sleep after practice, and i feel like its just wrestling afterschool.. some food then sleep, and all over again.

Ok so my second day. We ran down to the track, about 1/2mile. jogged 1/4 and indian'd again another 1/4 and ran back again to the school. So running was really light compared to what we did yesterday. We did some more drills & jogging inside then went to review/learn new moves. I don't know if i mentioned this in the other msg, but we've so far been split up into two groups. the newbies and the people who've wrestled before. We've been doing the same stuff, just that the advanced people have been reviewing harder moves while we've been learning the basic stuff. Today though they did spinning and crawling for pretty long, while our group was just reviewing moves. Coach says next week were all going together, so its gonna get even harder for me. After moves we did 4 station drills. This is what sucked. Sprints, getting up (you know, getting out of the starting defensive positon, not sure what this is called), push ups and mountain climbing (put your hands on the ground, then move your feet up and down, simulating mountain climbing basically). You do each section for 1:30 mins straight w/o stopping, run to the next area when he blows the whistle and do that, rinse and repeat. We did that cycle twice. ouch, it might not seem hard but its hell. Then we went lifting for 30mins, did shoulders/triceps today. During lifting i also asked the coach some nutrition questions, which was informative.

So to sum up, it was as hard or alittle bit harder than the first day - but i was already alittle more used to it.

Oh problem: the pads. So now it looks even worse than it did before. I asked the coach and he said to wrap it, all they had was that sticky tape, so i put that over my crappy bandage tthat i was wearing the whole day, didn't help. Gonna try it again tomarrow, and get the bandage stuff youre suppose to put under it. I also asked the coach about my pads, he said hes gonna give out new pads shortly so idk. If anyone still has some reccomendations though, im open.

Ruick said:
awesome, keep posting updates of your practice. i feel you 100%. Were doing similar things, and going to the weight room after. I was also really sore from the day before, and i felt like i would be too tired before i started. After stretching/running though it wasn't a problem. Same here dude! every day i feel like just going to sleep after practice, and i feel like its just wrestling afterschool.. some food then sleep, and all over again.

Ok so my second day. We ran down to the track, about 1/2mile. jogged 1/4 and indian'd again another 1/4 and ran back again to the school. So running was really light compared to what we did yesterday. We did some more drills & jogging inside then went to review/learn new moves. I don't know if i mentioned this in the other msg, but we've so far been split up into two groups. the newbies and the people who've wrestled before. We've been doing the same stuff, just that the advanced people have been reviewing harder moves while we've been learning the basic stuff. Today though they did spinning and crawling for pretty long, while our group was just reviewing moves. Coach says next week were all going together, so its gonna get even harder for me. After moves we did 4 station drills. This is what sucked. Sprints, getting up (you know, getting out of the starting defensive positon, not sure what this is called), push ups and mountain climbing (put your hands on the ground, then move your feet up and down, simulating mountain climbing basically). You do each section for 1:30 mins straight w/o stopping, run to the next area when he blows the whistle and do that, rinse and repeat. We did that cycle twice. ouch, it might not seem hard but its hell. Then we went lifting for 30mins, did shoulders/triceps today. During lifting i also asked the coach some nutrition questions, which was informative.

So to sum up, it was as hard or alittle bit harder than the first day - but i was already alittle more used to it.

Oh problem: the pads. So now it looks even worse than it did before. I asked the coach and he said to wrap it, all they had was that sticky tape, so i put that over my crappy bandage tthat i was wearing the whole day, didn't help. Gonna try it again tomarrow, and get the bandage stuff youre suppose to put under it. I also asked the coach about my pads, he said hes gonna give out new pads shortly so idk. If anyone still has some reccomendations though, im open.

yeah man, its kinda hard to imagine doing it everyday, but i guess we'll get use to it. ill update u on our 3rd practice. i really need some kneepads though, my knees are all bruised and they feel scraped.

Back