First day of Renzo gracie BJJ: injured neck

First off, grammar is your friend. You will get more replies if you don't type like a 12 year old on a sugar high. It takes no more effort to use good grammar than not to, if you are keyboard savvy.

It is an internet forum, unless it is a solid block of text without pargraphs then who gives a shit about his grammar or lack of.

you know who's going to be a bigger friend right now than grammar, ice, or an anti inflammatory? a doctor, as in a real one, not a pretend one on the internerd. they have them all over nyc, go see one. right now.

There are no doctors on Sherdog, and internet diagnosis is just about impossible, so your best bet is to make a visit to a real doctor ASAP, incase it's something serious. Neck injuries are nothing to fuck around with.

This says it all.

Yeah nirzhar, real doc asaplar and keep sargin. Also, when I had a neck sore from grappling it was when someone did a hip throw on me and our weights sorta crashed by my neck and it was super stiff. I just stretched it and gave it a few days. Hope yours isn't any worse.

Neck pain is common in BJJ. Depending on what you did, could take a while. Shit, sometimes if you sleep funny your neck can be sore for a few days. I had to do a lot of neck stregnthening excercises. Eating pussy helps.

Neck pain is common in BJJ. Depending on what you did, could take a while. Shit, sometimes if you sleep funny your neck can be sore for a few days. I had to do a lot of neck stregnthening excercises. Eating pussy helps.

ya soreness happens but this is a bit more extreme. i decided to give it couple more days since its a bit better. if it doesnt get better enough to go back to training by this week then i will make an appointment for the docs.

also the only reason i posted here is because i am sure others could tell me if this kinda neck pains is normal from training.

dont ask this kind of stuff on sherdog and go see a doctor fool , It makes no sense not to go see a guy who went to school for a million years that knows what could be wrong with your neck .

you know who's going to be a bigger friend right now than grammar, ice, or an anti inflammatory? a doctor, as in a real one, not a pretend one on the internerd. they have them all over nyc, go see one. right now.

its not good to put ice on your neck your i work in a physio department and i had a sore neck once thinking to put ice on it they yelled at me and told me to get a massage i guess it has something to do with the nerves in your neck .

dont ask this kind of stuff on sherdog and go see a doctor fool , It makes no sense not to go see a guy who went to school for a million years that knows what could be wrong with your neck .

well i have to make an appointment and here i would get it in like 2-3 weeks.. i can go to emergency room but thats gonna waste me a full day. so i rather not go to ER if i can heal in couple days. thats for last resort.

I am sorry, but I have to wonder why you were allowed to grapple on your first day. Have you had training elsewhere? Noobs should not be doing grappling right off the bat.

About your neck. Go to a doctor.

About not putting ice on your neck, that is not right.

In fact, right after the injury you are supposed to put ice to reduce swelling and inflammation (within the the first few hours).

After that, contrast bathing is good (Alternating ice and heat every few minutes). This will create a pump like action to help flush out swelling.

After that, it is all about heat to encourage increased blood flow and relax the musculature.

Massages are NOT good during acute times, but are acceptable several days later when things are not so actue. And, furthermore, you should get it looked at by a doctor first to make sure it is not more than just a muscular injury. If there is skeletal or even a rupture in the disk, a massage therapist should not touch it for a while, or at the very least, should not do too much manual manipulation.

I am a licensed massage therapist and worked in rehab for many years.

I am sorry, but I have to wonder why you were allowed to grapple on your first day. Have you had training elsewhere? Noobs should not be doing grappling right off the bat.

In fact, right after the injury you are supposed to put ice to reduce swelling and inflammation (within the the first few hours).

After that, contrast bathing is good (Alternating ice and heat every few minutes). This will create a pump like action to help flush out swelling.

After that, it is all about heat to encourage increased blood flow and relax the musculature.

Massages are NOT good during acute times, but are acceptable several days later when things are not so actue. And, furthermore, you should get it looked at by a doctor first to make sure it is not more than just a muscular injury. If there is skeletal or even a rupture in the disk, a massage therapist should not touch it for a while, or at the very least, should not do too much manual manipulation.

great advice. ya i have done judo for awhile before but that was 3 years ago. so i did have some previous training.

try a chiropractor, I did after a similar neck injury. I had a couple of disks out of alignment and after the first treatment it felt 100 percent better. I had to do exercises and go back for a few weeks. Also you will probably need to take about a month off from training.

Since you did something similar before, this might have just aggravated the old injury. I found out my neck injury had been around for years when I finally had it treated. It just never bothered me that much before.

We let noobs do the postional rollong only allowing the techniques we taught and the defense and counter associated with that technique. The dummy is only suppoosed to go 60% so that the student can learn the moves and not get beat up. We have one dominating muscle wrestler spaz with no off shift but his future is comining to a critical point.

Tweakig anything on the spine means stop in class so that you go home and come back latter.

I dont iam just going by what they said they freaked when i put ice on my neck ...

i want to state that when i was rolling it was perfectly normal. i was not doing stuff that was very hardcore or anything. i have done judo for a long time so i wasnt "new" to grappling. just weird that i injured neck because all i was doing was positional training where i would have to pass someones guard for example while he tried to keep me in his guard or submit. it was nothing i couldnt handle.. right now im actually doing better and i am preety sure that i can go back to training this week (or atleast just see how it feels and take it from there). neck still hurts but as long as i can train, i will do so. if it stil bothers me by end of this week then i will get it checked.

Typically The Colonel would rub his secret blend of 11 herbs and spices on your neck, but since I'm not there I'd suggest seeing a doctor.

If you're not as in as much pain and its been more than two days since the day of the injury, start putting some heat on it with a hotpad or a gel pack. Get a massage or take a soak in a jacuzzi. Then go eat some Kentucky Fried Chicken, you'll feel better for doing so.

I tweaked my neck practicing hip bumps the other day. Better to see a doctor to make sure everyting is ok because it will happen again and having a undiagnosed pre-existing injury is generally bad.

Back