First competition

beardedphoenix

White Belt
Reaction score
My first competition is this Saturday. (Icon Grappling submission only) I am competing only in no-gi as I have never trained with a gi. So for those of you who have competed what did you do to prepare? What did you bring with you? Supposedly the event is 8-4ish so right now I have no idea what to do about food etc weigh ins are at 7am so I am thinking caffeine as well. I have been drilling and rolling but still any suggestions would be great.

As far as food, pack light. All you want is enough food to give you energy to get you through your matches. If you over-fill your stomach you'll feel sluggish, under fill it and you have no energy. That said, granola bars are always good, watermelon/cantaloupe, pineapple..I like watermelon and cantaloupe because it is saturated with water, and also has a lot of simple sugars which are good for energy with no crash. Beverages, water and gatorade G2 (the low-calorie stuff) because all you're looking for is hydration and electrolytes.

As far as prep, these days turn into long days..so without breaking a sweat, stay loose, keep moving around a bit until about half hour-45 minutes before you go on the mat and go through a warm up routine that slowly builds your heart rate up, and you just barely break a few beads of sweat before you step on the mat.

As far as on the mat..don't let the chaos of combat get into your head..keep the same level of calmness or intensity that you do in the gym..that chaos/panic factor will burn you out very fast if you let it..

Hope this helps, and good luck! Oss!

Remember to breathe, first time most guys compete they get the adrenaline dump, cotton mouth and burn out in the first 2-3 min of the first match. It is important to stay loose, especially if the previous divisions are kids or young adult, the event could start around 8 but if you're older you may not roll till 12-1.

Most importantly...you have to win, wait no, have fun, yes have lots of fun and enjoy the competition of it all.

Have fun, enjoy.

Thank you to both of you. I am looking forward to it. I am thinking cliff bars or something of that sort. Gatorade actually goes through me pretty rapidly (my body hates it) so I think I may bring some BCAA's. What have you found seems to be the schedule? I am thinking kids may go first like Unr8d says. Does this seem to be the norm? What about gi/no gi is there one that goes before the other do you find or do they do it by the division?

Check the flyer or the site man, it should have a layout of the schedule. As the others said, relax, it's key. Have an idea of what you want to do, but be ready to be flexible. KNOW THE RULES! Try to have someone tape your matches, so you can look at them and see what you can improve on.

Good luck man!

my experience: kids go first because they get restless pretty quickly and usually gi divisions then no gi so absolute is last.

Back