First comp today

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Sadsully, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Sadsully

Sadsully Yellow Belt

Did my first competition today Las Vegas Nationals Summer Showdown - Saturday July 24th, 2010

Competed in Men's novice-- I was weighed in at the 180-189 division, but they ended up combining some of the weights. I felt great about my weighin-- I have lost about 20 lbs in the past 2 months, this is the lightest I have ever been!

First match: guy comes out and immediately jumps guard and starts working for an armbar. This is definitely my weakest area -- top guard. I get caught in training on the time from here. He gets the armbar, and we fight a bit. I stack him and he goes belly down and cranks hard, but I manage to slip my arm out -- I probably should have tapped, and am already having some pain in the elbow, but am sure it will be fine in a few days -- after getting out of the armbar he immediately transitions to a triangle, and I fight for a few minutes, but can't get out and have to tap after only about 1.5 minutes.

After that, I felt spent; I have never felt so tired after such a short time-- adrenaline dump I guess? I was definitely feeling pretty nervous before the match. They call me back for a second match, and this one goes a little better. I fight off a takedown for a bit, but eventually he gets me down and I start working my guard game, which in training is typically where I am best. I'm just not feeling it though-- I am tired, and can't really think straight on what I want to do. After a few minutes, I eventually shoot up a sloppy triangle which he easily blocks and uses to pass my guard. I go on the defensive and we fight for a bit, we roll and he locks in a triangle but it isn't tight. We stay in that position for a bit, and I am stuck but shoot my legs up and get him in like an inverted triangle, and that is where time ends and I lost on points (takedown + pass).

All in all it was dissapointing to do so poorly, but a good experience. After the second match my entire body was jello-- I could barely open the cap on my water. I'm hoping that next tournament I will do better and won't have the same reaction to the competition.

2. Oak

Oak 栄誉

Ya it was definitely an adrenaline dump. Just keep at it. It will get better and better every comp.

Drinking gatorade before and after matches can help with some of the exhausted feeling.

3. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

The only way to make competitions go better is to keep doing them.

Eventually, the jitters become less and you learn to control it.

Congrats on competing. It's not for everyone, but I think everyone should try it at least once.

4. wiscobjj

wiscobjj White Belt

I never post on here but i like to read about whats going on,lurk i guess.I also had my first tornamant today
    I did beginers no gi ,and white belt gi losing 2 matches by points and 2 by subs.I wasnt prepared for how tired i was after just one match,alot different then rolling at my gym.I also was not prepared for takedowns and how much energy i spent trying to get them.
    I was disapointed too but all in all it was a good experience and now I know what I need to work on

5. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

Nice start, especially because you got a second match. Losing the first one and then having to stick around in the crowd or go home really sucks.

6. Pierced7681

Pierced7681 Black Belt

congrats on your first tournament. I entered my first one after 4 weeks of training and had the same thing happen with the energy dump.

The more you compete the more comfortable you'll be at it.