first class tonight, question

so, Monday night when I went there ended up not being a class, but instead our head instructor, Marcello Monteiro was hosting a seminar. Since I was unaware of this, I was allowed to sit in and watch how the seminar went. I didn't participate, but I watched everyone learning. It was a fantastic experience.

Last night I went for my first class. As I was walking to the building from my car, I met a friendly guy and he gave me some info about where changing rooms were, etc...

After putting on my Gi, I realized I didn't know how to tie my belt :icon_neut. Luckily another very friendly white belt helped me out. He said he'd been coming for about 6 months, and that I was going to have a good time.

The instructor for our beginners' class came in, and was very nice. He's a brown belt under Marcello, and really was accessible. I was worried that our instructor wouldn't be open to questions, but that was not the case at all.

We started off with some stretching and very light cardio to get warmed up, then jumped right into learning. We began be learning some open guard positions. after practicing those for a while, we moved into a triangle and omoplata from that particular open guard. that's where my issues are.

I'm a big guy (fat), training with other large guys. There were three of us larger men in the class, myself being the smallest. I'm 5'6", 260lbs with short thick legs. I cannot lock a triangle on other big guys, as my ankles can barely lock. The instructor showed some techniques grabbing the pant leg to adjust, but it's still a very difficult move to pull off on other big guys.

the omoplata was easier, but still very hard. my problem lies with the initial pivot from an open guard to the omoplata position. Once I maneuver to that pivoted position, sitting up is also difficult. granted it's my first class ever, but would have been nice to be more fluid with my movement :)

then we went into some rolling from guard. Onc person started on bottom with closed guard and the guy on top tried to pass while the guy on bottom tried to submit or sweep. as soon as someone achieved their goal, we reset. After about 4 or 5 minutes, we switched position. I was going against another white belt who had a fair bit more experience than me, but he was also smaller. He was maybe an inch or two taller than I, and only 225. He didn't manhandle me as much as I was expecting, but I chock that up to the size difference. I was able to pass his guard twice to side control (EPIC good feeling :icon_chee), but from the bottom I was unable to sweep or submit while he passed my guard each time. I did however get a compliment from the instructor, saying I was doing excellent for someone with no background at all.

He (the instructor) said to have fun with it, that training was meant to be enjoyable and a learning experience; to try something new. The worst that happens is you lose position, reset, and learn from that mistake. So that's what I did. I was trying new things (which was damn near everything being that it was my first class ever), and most didn't work, but some did. I remember the compliment from my instructor came when I was on bottom during the rolling and as my partner stood up to a three point type stance, I hooked his leg from the bottom and kept him from passing for a while.

Overall it was a fantastic experience, and I am looking forward to going again tonight. Sorry this post ended up way longer than I anticipate when I started typing, I just wanted to share my excitement :)

Last edited:
Take it from one big guy to another, that triangle may not be there sometimes, however a few tips to make it easier: Get your hips up nice and high off the ground. You can post off your partner's hip with your heel to make this easier. The idea being, the closer your hips are to his head, the more leeway you've got with your legs up above.

Also, as you continue to train and the pounds fly off you (which will happen) you'll notice it just gets easier and easier.

Also good work with the hook! You'll be using it a lot and you'll eventually develop a ton of sweeps off it, so keep it in the arsenal.

Glad you had a positive experience. Don't feel bad about the techniques not working. It's your first class. Nothing is going to work. Nothing is going to work for a while, in fact. As you train more, your fitness level will improve, as will your technical level, and the moves will start working, not just in drilling but rolling as well. Yes, even the triangle at times. And the omoplata will definitely work. I trained with a black belt a few times who is a huge guy, about 235 and just really strong and built thick. And his whole bottom game revolves off the omoplata, and he could apply it far better than me (including the hip movement) even though I'm nearly 100 pounds lighter. So keep at it. Don't ever discard a technique because you think it doesn't work for you.

sounds like you had a great first class. like others said hip movement is something you build up and learn. And you will lose weight!

My first class my GI did not come in yet so another guy gave me his extra GI that didn't fit him. So happy he did that because I felt like I would disrespect him if I quit and took his GI. Was like insurance to keep me going in the start.

I appreciate all the positive words from you all.

as for washing the Gi, OF COURSE! :). As soon as I got home last night, I threw it right in the washer and then machine dried it in order to shrink the sleeves and legs. I needed an A5 for the girth, but the sleeves and pant legs were crazy long last night. This morning after a good wash/dry, it fits perfectly in the arms, and just a tiny bit too long in the legs. Much better!

I meant to ask, how long is "too long" to wait for getting a shower? I'm scared of all the MRSA/Staph/Ringworm stories I see online. Our academy doesn't have showers, just changing rooms. After class I take the Gi off, put on a tee shirt and shorts (I leave my compression shorts and rash guard on), and drive 15 minutes home. I get straight in the shower. is this 25-30 minutes period after class too long?

I just ordered some Defense Soap too.

i do the same. we usually have a big bottle of the nowater hand sanitizer at the gym on the way out i do a quick pump of that, rub my hands and feet. if you are really concerned get defense soap wipes.

I appreciate all the positive words from you all.

as for washing the Gi, OF COURSE! :). As soon as I got home last night, I threw it right in the washer and then machine dried it in order to shrink the sleeves and legs. I needed an A5 for the girth, but the sleeves and pant legs were crazy long last night. This morning after a good wash/dry, it fits perfectly in the arms, and just a tiny bit too long in the legs. Much better!

I meant to ask, how long is "too long" to wait for getting a shower? I'm scared of all the MRSA/Staph/Ringworm stories I see online. Our academy doesn't have showers, just changing rooms. After class I take the Gi off, put on a tee shirt and shorts (I leave my compression shorts and rash guard on), and drive 15 minutes home. I get straight in the shower. is this 25-30 minutes period after class too long?

I just ordered some Defense Soap too.

An A5, really? I'm currently 5'10, a tubby 235 lb and an A3 fits me just fine. I started around 280 and wore a judo A3 gi, which is somewhat looser, but is still very wearable, even though it has big sleeves and very big lapels and generally looks like a huge dress.

An A5, really? I'm currently 5'10, a tubby 235 lb and an A3 fits me just fine. I started around 280 and wore a judo A3 gi, which is somewhat looser, but is still very wearable, even though it has big sleeves and very big lapels and generally looks like a huge dress.

well, I didn't try any other sizes, but the A5 fits me well around the belly. you are 4 inches taller and 25 pounds lighter, so an A3 fits you. I have about 3 inches over overlap across the stomach when the Gi is wrapped around, and the belt goes around like I was shown and ties with about 6 inches of leftover on each end. the only thing not right was the length or arms and legs, but the shrinkage in the dryer took care of that.

one of the other big guys I guess had to order a Gi special because it needed larger than normal A5 sizing. he's about 6' and said he weighed in at 360lbs. i couldn't triangle him either :icon_chee

well, I didn't try any other sizes, but the A5 fits me well around the belly. you are 4 inches taller and 25 pounds lighter, so an A3 fits you. I have about 3 inches over overlap across the stomach when the Gi is wrapped around, and the belt goes around like I was shown and ties with about 6 inches of leftover on each end. the only thing not right was the length or arms and legs, but the shrinkage in the dryer took care of that.

one of the other big guys I guess had to order a Gi special because it needed larger than normal A5 sizing. he's about 6' and said he weighed in at 360lbs. i couldn't triangle him either :icon_chee

That A5's not going to fit you much longer. I'm guessing with your height and weight, as I alluded to earlier, you're gonna shrink pretty fast. I'm 5'11", 250 lbs and I wear an A4 and I can almost fit into an A3. I guess my point is, don't go out and buy like 2 gi's sized A5 or something.

As for the MRSA/Staph thing, I have no idea where some people are training, but it's not going to kill you within 20 minutes or something. Just grab a shower once you get home so you're not bathing in everyone's sweat for a day or two, and make sure to wash your gi so it doesn't get rancid/rot to pieces. This saves you not only cash in replacing gi's (Cotton will rot if you let sweat linger in it,) but it's pretty much the key to maintaining good personal hygiene and a hygienic gym.

Nobody wants to roll with the dude who's white gi is brown and stinks like a dead racoon.

I've just today started a website to track my progress along with any other info that I decide to share (stories, questions, feelings about class).

NoobJitsu | Journey To A Better Me

feel free to bookmark it and check back periodically. I'll be adding new posts regularly. I'm thinking of it as a public journal of sorts as it pertains to my BJJ training.

thanks everyone :)

Back