first class tonight, question

WAR MMA

White Belt
Reaction score
:icon_chee :icon_chee :icon_chee

tonight is my first ever BJJ class, and I'm super stoked. I've read all of the first-class material i can find in blogs and such online, but I've got a few lingering questions.

I'm not sure what all I need to wear/bring to class with me. Here's what I have bought so far:

rash guard/compression shirts
compression shorts
jock strap/cup
mouthpiece

I know the cup and mouthpiece aren't required, but I bought them anyway. if its uncomfortable or I feel after tonight I don't need to have them, I just won't wear them to anymore classes.

I'm going in a bit early to meet with the academy's manager to buy my Gi. Do I need multiple Gi's? I will be going to class mon-thurs for an hour each night, and don't know if I need a new Gi for each night of the week. They are pricey, so if one is fine I'll just buy the one.

anything I'm missing? I'm very excited-nervous, and very much looking forward to tonight!

here's the school I'm going to:
Marcello C. Monteiro's - BJJ Coach

thanks all!

looks like your prepared, dont be nervous, i was nervous at first too when i started, just be excited and relaxed. it will take a few classes for sure before you're comfortable and used to the environment, so dont get discouraged and stick with it!
good luck and have fun, you should love it

One gi is fine for now, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be sure to wash the damn thing.

Just start with one gi. You'll want to wash it after each class, and if you need to get a second gi (due to air drying constraints, etc.) it'll become apparent quickly. Most people wait a while before getting into multiples, and they often start exploring other types/brands. (Some gi manufacturers, like Koral, sell pre-shrunk gis that can be machine dried, which can really cut down on turnaround time).

If they ever do no-gi you may want to get fight shorts at some point, but you can just wear gi pants (but people WILL grab them).

Don't worry about fitting in for a couple weeks and it will happen on its own (you never want to be the creepy guy that laughs at jokes in a conversation that doesn't involve you).

:icon_chee :icon_chee :icon_chee

tonight is my first ever BJJ class, and I'm super stoked. I've read all of the first-class material i can find in blogs and such online, but I've got a few lingering questions.

I'm not sure what all I need to wear/bring to class with me. Here's what I have bought so far:

rash guard/compression shirts
compression shorts
jock strap/cup
mouthpiece

I know the cup and mouthpiece aren't required, but I bought them anyway. if its uncomfortable or I feel after tonight I don't need to have them, I just won't wear them to anymore classes.

I'm going in a bit early to meet with the academy's manager to buy my Gi. Do I need multiple Gi's? I will be going to class mon-thurs for an hour each night, and don't know if I need a new Gi for each night of the week. They are pricey, so if one is fine I'll just buy the one.

anything I'm missing? I'm very excited-nervous, and very much looking forward to tonight!

here's the school I'm going to:
Marcello C. Monteiro's - BJJ Coach

thanks all!

you mean Mon-Thurs or Monday and Thursday?

if you are going mon,tue,wed,thur, than you will need more than one GI.You should be washing before every use.Machine drying and 4 days a week with one GI it will get beat up quickly. If your classes are just monday and thursday one GI will be fine.

Other than that you sound ready. stretch out really good, leave your ego at the door, prepare to get your ass beat possibly throw up and have a lot of fun!

anything I'm missing?

No idea how strenuous your class is, but you might consider bringing your own water. I sweat a lot in class and like to stay hydrated. Bringing my own water means that I can drink on water breaks without holding up everyone else at a drinking fountain.

Bring water, can't hurt.

Also one gi works fine for me and I train a lot (5-6 nights a week). It is a PITA to wash it after every class, but until I come up with the scratch to buy a second one I just deal with it.

well one time i bit thru my tounge (got kneed while breating with mouth open, i was tired) and another time my balls were kneed/shinned to hell when i was workin from guard and person passing put their knee into my crotch tryin to pass (people with experience know what im talkin about)

very good purchases imo :icon_chee

def the more gis u have the better, i have 3 gis now

You sound prepared. You don't need any more gi's right now. Stick to the one for now. You'll decide if you want to buy more after your first week of class. Maybe you'll prefer no-gi classes..maybe you might not like it. You never know.

Take with you an open mind and a willingness to learn. Also if there are any chips on your shoulders you need to knock them off right now because you will be utterly humiliated if you feel like you have something to prove. Enjoy yourself, pay attention and ask questions if you don't understand something. The only stupid question is one that doesn't get asked. Also, one gi is fine for now. I would hold off on multiples until you are sure that this is the sport for you. Just make sure you keep it washed and hang it on a line to dry if you can. This will prevent it from getting even more beat up in the dryer.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!!!

thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'll stick with one Gi for now until I know more about the abuse it will endure during the classes.

For the person asking if it is monday-through-thursday or just monday and thursday, it's 4 days a week. Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday, 7-8pm each day. Fridays the academy is open for a couple of hours for open-mat. Hopefully I will find a friend in someone at the school who also wants to do open mats.

Take with you an open mind and a willingness to learn. Also if there are any chips on your shoulders you need to knock them off right now because you will be utterly humiliated if you feel like you have something to prove. Enjoy yourself, pay attention and ask questions if you don't understand something. The only stupid question is one that doesn't get asked. Also, one gi is fine for now. I would hold off on multiples until you are sure that this is the sport for you. Just make sure you keep it washed and hang it on a line to dry if you can. This will prevent it from getting even more beat up in the dryer.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!!!

I definitely have no chips on these shoulders. I just wanted to find an activity that I think I would enjoy, and is also physically demanding. I'm in the process of an entire lifestyle and body change, dropping weight and getting much more fit. I've made tremendous progress, but going to the gym 4 nights a week was getting...stale. being a huge fan of MMA, but much less a fan of getting punched and kicked, BJJ seemed like the right choice.

I'm not sure about the gym you're training in but the one I was investigating in my area, would allow you to rent a gi for $5 a class that you turned in at the end of the class for them to clean. You should still buy your own, but if for whatever reason yuo don't get to clean it before class it's a nice option.

thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'll stick with one Gi for now until I know more about the abuse it will endure during the classes.

For the person asking if it is monday-through-thursday or just monday and thursday, it's 4 days a week. Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday, 7-8pm each day. Fridays the academy is open for a couple of hours for open-mat. Hopefully I will find a friend in someone at the school who also wants to do open mats.

I definitely have no chips on these shoulders. I just wanted to find an activity that I think I would enjoy, and is also physically demanding. I'm in the process of an entire lifestyle and body change, dropping weight and getting much more fit. I've made tremendous progress, but going to the gym 4 nights a week was getting...stale. being a huge fan of MMA, but much less a fan of getting punched and kicked, BJJ seemed like the right choice.

I feel ya'. I'm also in the process of dropping about 60 lbs and getting back into the sport I've dedicated 11 years of my life to. I've been absent for the past 2 years due to health issues and my daughter being born. She's 1 year old now and I'm putting my mind and body back in place. Good luck and train, train, train.

I'd be careful about buying a load of stuff. Buy things as you need them, especially because with time, you'll figure out everything you need and even what you like. For the gis, I recommend you just buy the cheapest one you find for the start. Then, you'll figure out what you don't like in it, what could be better, and you'll have the idea of what you want. Relax and enjoy the class.

Back