First bjj/mma class tonight!

jamiesda

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
hey guys, first of all ive been training muay thai for a long time so im not new to the fight game but im going to my first bjj/mma class tonight, just wondering if anyone has any tips, info i might want to know before i start bjj like wats good to wear since i dont have a gi etc, im so pumped! thanks guys

Similar when you started Muay Thai, your going to be completely clueless for a while. The best advice is just to enjoy the ride and keep an open mind.

Stuff that seems extremely difficult and complicated at first will become basic and second nature with experience, its all repetitions like anything else.

Relax. Don't be a jerk when you're working techniques with someone.

Don't try any submissions you think you know from books, Youtube, or that your buddy showed you when you were drinking, etc. You will soon find out that most of that junk was wrong. Start with a clean slate and assume you know nothing. When I started, only about 2% of what I thought I knew was even remotely correct. I thought I would go in there owning other beginners but I got schooled. PS... Have fun!

BJJ and MMA are 2 differents animals. It might pay off if you ask the instructor what he is actually teaching. i.e rules etc...

Cut your nails, and everytime someone taps you , ask him what he did exactly, ask if you can try the move and how you couldve countered it and try that aswell.

Imo this occupies you with the techniques, instead of wasting the first couple of classes on learning nothing and trying to power out of stuff and working towards nothing.

edit : What to wear... a t-shirt that can stand some pulling and your muay thai shorts for example are fine for first class, you could bring knee pads , a cup even a mouthpiece if you like.
Ore other shorts all fine. Just know they could get ripped from pulling.

Osu

Last edited:
BJJ and MMA are 2 differents animals. It might pay off if you ask the instructor what he is actually teaching. i.e rules etc...

its actually 2 classes, an hour bjj class then mma for another hour so no problems there

thanks for the input guys, i should be fine my egos in check and im very open minded. i know everyone says crap like this but ive been an mma fan forever blah blah blah i know the mechanics of most of the common subs but no idea how to get in position or how to defend them so yeh should be interesting. iill post again and let u know how many times i get tapped haha

Back