First BJJ Class Monday - What to wear?

JeffP

White Belt
Reaction score
I need to go pick up some workout clothes, but dont want to waste money on stuff that I wont be able to use. What kind of shorts/shirts(if any) does everyone wear?

thanks. jeff

a pair of board shorts, or swimming shorts should work. make sure they go down to your knees or just slightly above. A cup, umm...a t-shirt with short sleeves, nothing that will bleed with sweat. That covers the basic "First day" thing. Anything else you need, your instructor will tell you about, or he will have the connections for you to get.

Any pair of shorts that can take some punishment and don

Yeh make sure the shorts you bring are a pair that you won't mind people grabbing and stretching. Trust me, even in no gi stuff people still do that, i tbugs the crap out ofme. Same with the shirt. Eventually you'll want a rashguard but a t shirt will be fine. Oh yeah, bring a good attitude too, you will get tapped a lot! :)

rory_44 said:
you guys wear a cup when grappling?
You ever had someone grinding their knee across your protectables when escaping from half guard?
Or even worse: when someone passes the guard by jumping knee first through your legs and not quite making it?

cups hurt me more than they help, i just ignore the pain.
maybe a body armor shirt, it can be worn elsewhere also.

I use long swimming trunks and an old Nike shirt. If I wasn't such a fatass, I would wear a rashguard.

Cup optional.
Shorts without zippers, buttons etc.
T-shirt.
Also, panty hose. Don't be embarassed, everybody does it. Protects against ringworm and mat burn. Panty hose are not optional, you will need to wear them your first day. They may send you home if you don't.

Bubble Boy said:
Cup optional.
Shorts without zippers, buttons etc.
T-shirt.
Also, panty hose. Don't be embarassed, everybody does it. Protects against ringworm and mat burn. Panty hose are not optional, you will need to wear them your first day. They may send you home if you don't.

Was the pantyhose thing a joke? No one wears it at my place, althought some football players wear it to make their legs more slippery. It is so pourous, it isn't going to protect against ringworm anyways.

Thanks for the info guys, I know this place (north dallas bjj) has a no-gi class, which is really all im interested in, but I'm not sure if their beginner is Gi or not. Crossing my fingers..

Until you buy a gi, you can still go to the gi classes, you just have to wear your shirt and shorts.

You'll begin to like the gi once you wrestle more and more with it.

I wear a mouthpiece sometimes as getting good teeth cost a fortune and I don't want to waste that. Cup is definitley a must, though some days I forget to wear it.

So basically: A pair of boardshorts, crappy t shirt/under armour shirt, and mouthpiece is optional.

What about a Gi? I heard they were wearing them to warm up and did no-gi later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back