First attempt at S&C for Martial Arts

That's why I asked, too. Most people who aren't squatting multiple times per week have been at it for a while. If TS can handle more squatting and would benefit from more squatting, then why not?

These numbers, Am I wrong in thinking 5/3/1 could be a good fit? He seems a little too strong to get big gains on SL or SS

No, he benches more than he squats, which means he's more than likely a beginner around the 200lb mark who trained upper-body much more than lower body. I think SL would be a decent fit.

Have you tried squatting more than once a week to see if you get better gains from it?

TS' squat is an obvious weakness and so he could likely see better gains with more frequency in the lift. There's a reason most beginner programs have squatting multiple times a week.

I know elite powerlifters who only lift once a week.

Tom Platz only squatted twice a month.

I've lifted on and off for 30 years. I'm seeing my best gains ever with the program above, done as basic 5/3/1. The two beginners I'm working out with are making massive gains on the same program. Trying different frequencies experimentally until you find the right one is a good idea. Telling someone they need more frequency without knowing quite a bit about them is not a good idea.

So you say: "I don't see any reason why a beginner who is lifting 4x/week should only be squatting one of those days."

I'm showing you a reason why. Doesn't mean it's his panacea, but it's as valid an option as increasing frequency.

That's why I asked, too. Most people who aren't squatting multiple times per week have been at it for a while. If TS can handle more squatting and would benefit from more squatting, then why not?

You know neither this: "If TS can handle more squatting"

nor this: "...would benefit from more squatting"

But you suggest greater squatting frequency. You just don't know enough to make that call. Perhaps his squat workout lacks intensity. I'm usually about to throw up after mine. You don't know.

Okay, then why would less squatting frequency be a better option than more squatting at the same intensity, for a beginner?

But, I don't believe that almost throwing up constitutes the effectiveness of a given routine. I also know plenty of elite lifters who only squat once per week. I know some who don't squat hardly at all. TS is not an elite lifter.

Okay, then why would less squatting frequency be a better option than more squatting at the same intensity, for a beginner?
Not arguing, just curious.

I college I ran track five days a week, lifted four days a week, and played about six hours of racquetball each weekend. My squat didn't go up much. Do you think I should have added another squat workout?

Maybe that's what his recovery can handle.

But first, I'd like to see the guy's workout, diet, and rest. Without more information, it's tough to make any call. You're just too eager to tell someone to add volume. I'm saying don't do that.

Maybe that's what his recovery can handle.

But first, I'd like to see the guy's workout, diet, and rest. Without more information, it's tough to make any call. You're just too eager to tell someone to add volume. I'm saying don't do that.

Based on what TS has told us, it would seem to me that he can handle much more than squatting once per week. He's probably not as active as you were in college, that sounds gruesome. I think you're underestimating him and the human bodies ability to recover/adapt.

TS: what is your weekly routine like? It'd give a lot of us a much better idea of what you need/don't need and can handle/can't handle.

I know elite powerlifters who only lift once a week.

Tom Platz only squatted twice a month.

Strong lifter who have built a strong squat can often squat once a week and still see gains. TS however is not an elite lifter.

He said
I had been focusing on lifting heavy to get big for a year or so

but then said his lifts are:

Barbell Squat: I do 225 on a 5x5
Barbell Deadlift: I can do 315x5
Barbell Bench: 225x7

It's obvious that the squat is his weakness.

He may need more frequency. He may need more volume. He may need more intensity. He may need all three.

All we have to work with is what he gave us which is:

Day 1:
Barbell Squats 5x5
Hack Squats 4x10
Interval running on treadmill (2 minutes fast-paced walk, 2 minutes sprint, alternating for 30 minutes)

Day 2:
Barbell Deadlift 5x5
Pull-ups 3x10
Interval running on treadmill (2 minutes fast-paced walk, 2 minutes sprint, alternating for 30 minutes)

Day 3:
Barbell Bench Press 5x5
Incline Bench Press 3x10

Day 4:
Barbell Military Press 5x5
Shoulder Shrugs 4x10

From that information I would suggest to up his squat frequency.

From that information I would suggest to up his squat frequency.

I disagree. He does two heavy compound workouts for lower body a week. His squat may have issues, but it will improve. Suggesting an increase in squat frequency for this guy is just "one squat workout isn't working? Try two." That's not sound, necessarily. It may be helpful, it may not, but you can't conclude it's the best way to help him improve.

If TS worked out with me, he'd do just fine on one squat-based and one DL-based workout a week.

Back