First attempt at S&C for Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by s4keithv6, Dec 17, 2012.

1. s4keithv6

s4keithv6 White Belt

I'm a 3rd degree black belt in traditional Taekwondo. I had been focusing on lifting heavy to get big for a year or so, but i've decided that I wanna get back into martial arts. Went to my first workout tonight...my cardio was pathetic. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do as my strength and conditioning program to improve this. Here's a sample of what I'm thinking of trying; any helpful input would be extremely appreciated.

Day 1:
    Barbell Squats 5x5
    Hack Squats 4x10
    Interval running on treadmill (2 minutes fast-paced walk, 2 minutes sprint, alternating for 30 minutes)

Day 2:
    Barbell Deadlift 5x5
    Pull-ups 3x10
    Interval running on treadmill (2 minutes fast-paced walk, 2 minutes sprint, alternating for 30 minutes)

Day 3:
    Barbell Bench Press 5x5
    Incline Bench Press 3x10

Day 4:
    Barbell Military Press 5x5
    Shoulder Shrugs 4x10

2. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

Why only interval runs?

3. s4keithv6

s4keithv6 White Belt

I had read that interval running was better than long distance running, plus my cardio is horrible at the moment

4. squat

squat Green Belt

I'd find a different exercise than the hack squat if you can. Also, why are you only squatting once per week?

5. squat

squat Green Belt

Also, switch day two and three, and put shrugs on the same day as the deadlift.

6. lts5025

lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

I would consolidate the 4 days of lifting into 3, and then do the interval runs on days you're not lifting. 3 days of lifting, 3 days of running and 1 rest day.

7. Fighting Sprite

Fighting Sprite Green Belt

You need more pulling. Three presses and one pull does not sound like a good idea.

EDIT: Okay deadlifts and shrugs could both be considered pulls but you still need to add more pulls to keep a good balance in your rotator cuffs.

8. TeddyRoosevelt

TeddyRoosevelt Brown Belt

Your cardio might very well be horrible because you only do interval running. Interval running is a type of running; it's not better or worse than other types, depending upon your goals. And for your goals, it might not be ideal yet. You sound like you could benefit tremendously from some LSD work.

9. Pathogenic

Pathogenic Wo Cao Ni Ma

Like Teddy said, LSD might be better for you right now. Whenever I take breaks, it's always my conditioning and skill that go first. If you're used to just lifting and don't really do much outside of that then you probably have to work on your cardiac output.

10. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Exactly, i dont get this whole movement of running long distances not being beneficial to your cardiovascular system in martial arts.

It just sounds like a bunch of Bro "Just Bleed" Bicep Curl Science.

No wonder MMA as a whole is a gas-fest, if this is the type of thinking people are seriously carrying over.

11. squat

squat Green Belt

I was thinking barbell rows too. Pendlay

Why not just do stronglifts and run on your off days?

12. Chucknate

Chucknate Blue Belt

What are your numbers? Reccomended programming will largely depend on your strength levels

13. s4keithv6

s4keithv6 White Belt

I don't make a habit of maxing out on anything, so these are the best measures of my strength for each lift I can give

Barbell Squat: I do 225 on a 5x5
    Barbell Deadlift: I can do 315x5
    Barbell Bench: 225x7

14. SunNovaGun

SunNovaGun Blue Belt

I'd recommend doing no more than 2 interval runs per week, the other two LSD.

Even better would be 1 interval, 2 LSD and 1 tempo run (30-60 minutes at 70-80% max HR).

Optimally would be a block of 8-12 weeks all LSD where your LSD runs get up to two hours or so, and then add in the intervals and tempo stuff after that period.

15. cheez whiz

cheez whiz Brown Belt

I agree hack squat maybe isn't the best choice, but hey, I "only" squat once a week. Something wrong with that? Not to be harsh, but aren't you pretty much a complete novice? Should you be doling out advice at this point?

16. squat

squat Green Belt

This is true... I'd still like to think I have a basic understanding of strength training. I tend to stay away from things I know are out of my realm of knowledge, but basic programming seems simple enough. Plus, trying to help gives me practice for what I want to do (strength training for sports). And I figure that if I'm wrong, the more knowledgeable posters (such as you and others) will point it out and OP will be no worse off than before.

Was my questioning of his once/week squatting wrong? If so, why? I'm not using the word only in a bad context, it's rather fitting. It's the one day that he squats; the only day. I don't want that to come off as me thinking everyone should squat 3+ times per week.
    By the way, I don't mean to argue. Just trying to learn is all. And nah I wouldn't say I'm a complete novice, I'm just weak. My log and conquest to squat started long before I found F13. But, I've spent much more energy on actually learning things rather than doing them, which now I'm trying to balance out.

Oh, and IMO; the hack squat isn't practical at all. I can think of no time, nor have I heard of any time, where something calls for a hack squat. Or where a hack squat was a better fit for something than a squat, or leg press, or anything for that matter. At the old gym I used to work at, I was trying extremely hard to get rid of that thing and replace it with a power rack.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  17. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

I don't see any reason why a beginner who is lifting 4x/week should only be squatting one of those days.

18. Ethan

Ethan Green Belt

These numbers, Am I wrong in thinking 5/3/1 could be a good fit? He seems a little too strong to get big gains on SL or SS

19. cheez whiz

cheez whiz Brown Belt

Here's one example of a routine that would work just fine:

Day 1: Press/Pullups/accessories
    Day 2: Deadlift/Abs/Grip/accessories
    Day 3: Bench/Rows/accessories
    Day 4: Squat/Abs/accessories

It's a nutshell of my routine, and it makes gains just fine. More volume isn't always the cure. I work hard in my workouts, and one squat day (plus one DL day) a week is plenty.

20. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

Have you tried squatting more than once a week to see if you get better gains from it?

TS' squat is an obvious weakness and so he could likely see better gains with more frequency in the lift. There's a reason most beginner programs have squatting multiple times a week.