Firefighters as "Heroes"

I am a bit late to this one, but it is a point that I have been arguing for years. The "police and firefighters are not as dangerous as fishing/logging" bullshit is some of the dumbest propaganda garbage to be spewed forth.

You will never get anyone with intelligence, or without a large amount of bias to argue that cutting down a tree, or falling into the artic ocean is the same as being shot, and/or trying to rescue people from burning to death.

And until the trees grow legs and walk like Ents and begin killing loggers, or giant snow crab begin dismantling fisherman, it is just an accident.

Even amongst firefighters, the wildfire guys are the ones who are really risking their necks. Normal firefighters, look, they are generally great guys, reliable, good to have in your corner. But they aren't risking their lives, statistically, very much. This is just the reality of it.

Do they rescue people from burning buildings? Is being in any burning building 100% safe?

UFC fighters face danger every time they step into the Octagon.

Are they heroes too?

If my screaming child is about to die in the octagon, yes they are. If they are just fighting, no, they are not. Do you see the difference yet you gradeschool imp?

Seriously?

They're heroes because they're risking their lives in the name of Public Service.

They're not doing it for profit, or to become famous, or to pay the rent. They're doing it to protect the lives and property of their fellow citizens. And they don't discriminate over who they save. You could be Bill Gates or Joe Blow in Compton, they'll still run into that burning building and try to save your home.

Do they rescue people from burning buildings? Is being in any burning building 100% safe?

In reality urban structure fires nowadays are relatively uncommon, and they don't go in unless it's relatively safe. They have very sophisticated procedures and equipment that keeps them relatively safe.

Captains (one of my brothers is a fire captain) don't send their guys in to die. Certainly there is risk, but there's risk in everything in life ... this is what people don't think about, the overall statistical risk of horrible injury/death from being a fisherman or a logger is vastly higher than they think it is. People think jumping on a fishing boat is super safe, while spraying water from a truck at a fire is super dangerous.

The way firemen die is typically (a) forest fires or (b) vehicle accidents (often there are vehicles racing all around accidents or fires). Death in burning buildings is far less common. But people have the misconception that they are constantly risking their live by running into burning buildings. Statistically, it just ain't so.

They're doing it for profit, to pay the rent.

Fixed that for you.

It's a job. It can/does require heroics acts at times, but by and large it's a job not much different than being an IT guy or a carpenter.

Fixed that for you.

It's a job. It can/does require heroics acts at times, but by and large it's a job not much different than being an IT guy or a carpenter.

There's about 800,000 volunteer firefighters out there so no you didn't fix anything.

These guys are pulling people out wrecked cars on dark highways in the middle of blizzards and people are arguing "but they don't go into enough burning houses" smh

Is the definition a hero to do something dangerous in civil service? I had dangerous things happen in the Navy where a few of us almost died. Never really considered myself to be a hero, I was doing my job.

Yeah, it's not like they run into burning homes or anything (something that would make many people shit their pants) :rolleyes:

Fire fighters are only fighting God's will and deserve no accolades for it. It is no more righteous to fight a fire than light one, they are both sins and both deserve to be punished.

You are my favorite poster.

I've been reading a lot about the wild fires raging through the North West of the United states of America for the past couple of days and it's seems not a day goes by that someone is talking about the "Heroic Firefighters" putting their "lives on the line" and making the "ultimate sacrifice".

gr-pm-fatalities-616.gif

Well it appears that fishermens work is incredibly more dangerous than Fireman, are anybody calling them heroes? Perhaps they should be, risking life and limb to put the freshest seafood on our plates and feed the hungry.

And what about those Firemen that do "make the ultimate sacrifice" and perish in a blaze? Are they heroes or simply incompetent in their position?

To most, fire in it's simplest description is simply the rapid oxidation of a material in the exothermic chemical process of combustion, releasing heat, light, and various reaction products. Something to be harnessed and used for selfish reasons such as heat and light. People are forgetting that fire is actually one of Gods cleansing agents to be used at his discretion. Fire fighters are only fighting God's will and deserve no accolades for it. It is no more righteous to fight a fire than light one, they are both sins and both deserve to be punished.

It's funny, a friend of mine is a high level official in the City of San Jose and has been involved in contract negotiations etc. with the fireman.

He said the same thing... they get all of this credit as heroes when in reality they basically just sit around the firehouse hanging out 99% of the time, and when they do respond to a fire, it is very rare that anyone actually goes in the building. Usually they just spray to make sure the surrounding buildings don't catch on fire also.

Anyone can be a hero if looked at as one. Some people look at sports, or science figures as heroes. To some, criminal masterminds or gangsters are heroic. Dying a martyr can be an act of heroism. Anything, fukintg anything. Sure, a firefighter can be a hero, but so can a single mom, working 4 jobs to support her 10 kids. Everyone is a hero.

It's funny, a friend of mine is a high level official in the City of San Jose and has been involved in contract negotiations etc. with the fireman.

He said the same thing... they get all of this credit as heroes when in reality they basically just sit around the firehouse hanging out 99% of the time, and when they do respond to a fire, it is very rare that anyone actually goes in the building. Usually they just spray to make sure the surrounding buildings don't catch on fire also.

Sounds like your friend flunked out of being a FF.

Good. The people in the area decided that they don't want to pay a tax for a fire department. Fine. They still want a fire department, then thry will have to pay.

You don't have a municipal fire department AND refuse to pay the fire department for coverage, then I will not feel bad when your house burns down and they watch.

UFC fighters face danger every time they step into the Octagon.

Are they heroes too?

Everyone has a different type of "hero", Michael Jordan or Babe Ruth could be considered some kid's favorite "hero". But I wouldn't compare guys who literally save lives to those who punch each other for a living (or throw a ball).

Well pay the 75 dollar annual fee. The city order them not to fight the fire for the people that refuse to pay.

Or have some common human decency and put the fire out before their life burns away and just charge them for the service after.

Or have some common human decency and put the fire out before their life burns away and just charge them for the service after.

So no one would pay until their house was on fire.

The 75 doesn't cover the fuel to get the trucks there hardly.

It's like insurance many pay in for the few the need it.

You can pay at the time of the fire but by the article it's thousands.

Maybe they should cut back on the beer a little to make the payment.

In reality urban structure fires nowadays are relatively uncommon, and they don't go in unless it's relatively safe. They have very sophisticated procedures and equipment that keeps them relatively safe.

Captains (one of my brothers is a fire captain) don't send their guys in to die. Certainly there is risk, but there's risk in everything in life ... this is what people don't think about, the overall statistical risk of horrible injury/death from being a fisherman or a logger is vastly higher than they think it is. People think jumping on a fishing boat is super safe, while spraying water from a truck at a fire is super dangerous.

The way firemen die is typically (a) forest fires or (b) vehicle accidents (often there are vehicles racing all around accidents or fires). Death in burning buildings is far less common. But people have the misconception that they are constantly risking their live by running into burning buildings. Statistically, it just ain't so.

Right. I get that. Firemen do this shit for a living and know the best way of doing it. And a wilderness fire is much less predictable and dangerous.

But still, a fireman is risking his life to save people and property.
A fisherman loses his life trying to take in the big catch to make big cash.

The level of risk =/= level of hero.

Take the Soldiers who liberated the death camps. They weren't at risk of being killed by the small garrisons stationed at these camps, but they rescued those poor people dying in there and they are heroes.

Back