Firefighters as "Heroes"

Some people in this thread hate themselves so much because their failed lot in society they can't bring themselves to call anyone but themselves a hero.

In their own mind stealing ketchup packets from McDs is a heroic deed and they are slowly hurting the society the deemed his limited skills and pursuits worthy of recognition.

Hell even ripping off public transportation and not paying for simple services are heroic actions in degenerates minds.

In this world if a soldier walks throw the crossfire of three machine gun nests picks up a small child and drags himself back to friendly lines and saves the child at the cost of his own life that soldier is not a hero.

He signed up for the job he was paid to get shot, he never really cared about the child anyway he did it for a medal, he was probably a rapist and a murder the rest of his time in the military as soldiers are nothing but the most brainwashed storm troopers of corporate society and nothing good they do can make up for their evil actions.

That person has serious mental issues. The OP on the other hand is just a troll.

They're not doing it to protect anyone.

That has nothing to do with being a hero. It says "showing bravery for the greater good." Entertaining millions is a greater good. Therefore, UFC fighters fit the definition of heros.

Both are just work. And being a fisherman seems to be more dangerous.

what is your definition of a hero?

my def of a hero is someone risking his life to save someone's else.

i don't know if a fisherman fits my def of a hero because they aren't saving anybody.

maybe the fisherman fits your def of a hero. Gotta have that damn salmon sushi fresh!!

80-men_at_work_golf_clap_short_charlie_sheen_and_emilio_estevez_4a08f94bbc8c2e7e9354a44f4f97e2018ae39619.gif

Seems like an obvious troll post -- worlds deadliest job doesn't necessarily imply hero as some have pointed out. I'm sure we've all caught an episode or two of "deadliest catch", but I don't consider the people catching me the crab that I eat a couple of times a year a hero.

That said, I wonder how many times on average a firefighter actually enters a building on fire in their career? I'm guessing in more calls than not the firefighters get there and the occupants are safely out of the house. They train a lot and while they take risks, they are normally calculated risks. I don't think they very often enter a fully engulfed house that's half collapsed where the chances of them getting out are ridiculously impossible.

Also, when you look at 3 of the top 4 jobs on that list, they involve heavy machinery, working in 30-40 foot waves in the ocean, arguably lack safety regulations and/or oversight, and this maybe is a bit of a generalization, but attract lower educated people who have a higher rate of substance abuse increasing the likelihood of an accident.

what is your definition of a hero?

my def of a hero is someone risking his life to save someone's else.

i don't know if a fisherman fits my def of a hero because they aren't saving anybody.

maybe the fisherman fits your def of a hero. Gotta have that damn salmon sushi fresh!!

Yeah, but that "risk" seems to be relatively small for firemans, so I kinda understand TS` point. Media just loves to hyperbole things like that. They are just doing their job, which seems to be a relatively safe job.

That has nothing to do with being a hero. It says "showing bravery for the greater good." Entertaining millions is a greater good. Therefore, UFC fighters fit the definition of heros.

If you think entertaining people is "showing bravery for the greater good" then you have no idea of what the term means and should go back to reading Highlights magazine

I live in an area where there wildfires everywhere right now. And those wildland firefighters are awesome. The smokejumpers are complete badasses, basically the special forces of wildland firefighters. They are heroes, they're doing it to save the properties and lives of people who were dumb enough to build their homes in fire prone areas.

And their compensation fits what they do. Wildland firefighters make great money.

obvious troll post. the sad thing is, there are idiots that are actually agreeing with the OP

I live in an area where there wildfires everywhere right now. And those wildland firefighters are awesome. The smokejumpers are complete badasses, basically the special forces of wildland firefighters. They are heroes, they're doing it to save the properties and lives of people who were dumb enough to build their homes in fire prone areas.

And their compensation fits what they do. Wildland firefighters make great money.

I'm in Oregon right now on a fire, browsing Sherdog before I go to sleep in a sleeping bag on the dirt. I've worked 16-17 hour days the past 5 days. Dinner was an MRE. Certainly not a hero, I do it for a check. But it is hard, very dangerous work. It pays "well" if you think 40k a year is well.

I know two guys that signed up a seasonal contract firefighters for BC during the forest fire season. They're putting in 16 hours a day trying to keep hundreds of wildfires under control around the province. One of them has been working non-stop for two weeks. It's absolutely exhausting and dangerous work, not to mention those smoke you're breathing into your lungs will come back to haunt you later in life.

If the risk of dying on the job is the criteria for being a hero, where do bank robbers rank?

Yeah, but that "risk" seems to be relatively small for firemans, so I kinda understand TS` point. Media just loves to hyperbole things like that. They are just doing their job, which seems to be a relatively safe job.

If you think risky job = automatic hero, then convenient store clerks/cashier in the ghetto are superheroes because those guys get shot/robbed all the time

A friend of mine is retiring after 25 years as a firefighter. He works for a relatively small, upper-middle class suburb.

His body is absolutely thrashed and he's not even in his 50's. Knee surgeries, back surgeries, wrecked fingers, arthritis. I can't imagine how best up he'd be if he worked in a big city with more fires and more medical calls.

I agree that he's been overpaid, but he's also missed a lot of Christmases and his kids' birthdays.

I'm in Oregon right now on a fire, browsing Sherdog before I go to sleep in a sleeping bag on the dirt. I've worked 16-17 hour days the past 5 days. Dinner was an MRE. Certainly not a hero, I do it for a check. But it is hard, very dangerous work. It pays "well" if you think 40k a year is well.

I salute you man. Like I said, wildland firefighters are awesome. But I've known enough wildland firefighters to know that you guys also make some (completely deserved) MONEY.

fishermen deserve more sympathy

Its a dangerous job. So compared to most other people, they are heros. I have no issue with the media calling them that.

My brothers are firemen, and my dad was a fireman his whole career. It's a great job, which I seriously considered following.

But they will be the first to LOL at the heroes line.

Even amongst firefighters, the wildfire guys are the ones who are really risking their necks. Normal firefighters, look, they are generally great guys, reliable, good to have in your corner. But they aren't risking their lives, statistically, very much. This is just the reality of it.

Just like fishermen are regular guys doing their job to make money, so with firefighters. I would agree that the commitment and sacrifice of many jobs like fishing/lumber etc. is undervalued relative to the 'flashy' jobs that are actually less dangerous.

I've been reading a lot about the wild fires raging through the North West of the United states of America for the past couple of days and it's seems not a day goes by that someone is talking about the "Heroic Firefighters" putting their "lives on the line" and making the "ultimate sacrifice".

gr-pm-fatalities-616.gif

Well it appears that fishermens work is incredibly more dangerous than Fireman, are anybody calling them heroes? Perhaps they should be, risking life and limb to put the freshest seafood on our plates and feed the hungry.

And what about those Firemen that do "make the ultimate sacrifice" and perish in a blaze? Are they heroes or simply incompetent in their position?

To most, fire in it's simplest description is simply the rapid oxidation of a material in the exothermic chemical process of combustion, releasing heat, light, and various reaction products. Something to be harnessed and used for selfish reasons such as heat and light. People are forgetting that fire is actually one of Gods cleansing agents to be used at his discretion. Fire fighters are only fighting God's will and deserve no accolades for it. It is no more righteous to fight a fire than light one, they are both sins and both deserve to be punished.

You sound jealous and weak.

Back