Firas Zahabi Talks About Conor/Diaz, "99% Chance Of A Finish"

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by raconnor, Feb 29, 2016.

1. raconnor

raconnor Rebawk Belt

Zahabi did a short breakdown of the fight. Hope he will publish a longer breakdown soon but it definitely sounds like he is leaning heavily toward Conor in this fight whereas he seemed 50/50 of Conor vs RDA

Loose transcript (weird interviewer that can't string together a sentence in brackets):

I’ll tell you something about conor. Conor can adapt his style. I believe he can fight in many different ways. We’ve seen him fighting forwards, fighting backwards. We’ve seen him adjust his kicking style to the opponent he's fighting. He’s really at good at adaptation.

Diaz fights one way. It doesn't matter if you’re a wrestler, a striker, a clincher... he fights one way. That’s a big advantage for conor. Conor knows what to expect. Diaz doesn't know what to expect as much.

Now, that being said, Diaz has a longer reach. He has a very, very unique punching style. A high volume punching style.

Now conor is high volume. Diaz is high volume. You guys are going to see a fight. This is not going to be one of those slow paced decisions. This will be a fight, and I give it a 99% chance of being finished one way or the other.

I don’t' see it going to the judges this fight because these guys are going to scrap to the end. I would be shocked if they got into a point-style fight. I would be horrendously shocked.

So, can Diaz absorb that left hand? Or evade it in the first 2 rounds?

I think in the first 2 rounds is a big chance of knockout. Like conor's history has always been. He's been knocking guys out.. Every single victory comes within 2 rounds.

Does Diaz get hit? Yes he does get hit. He gets in the pocket. So he will get hit with that left hand.

He could go down early. He could go down early, guys. Sorry for the Diaz fans. He could go down early.

But if he doesn't. If he somehow survives the early storm, I can't wait to see what happens in round 3 and 4. Because we have never seen conor in rounds 3, 4, 5... We saw him in the max Holloway fight but he outwrestled maxed. He took him to the ground. He had torn his acl.

When you tear your acl it's hard to strike. You have to pivot off you knee, you can't twist and turn, so that fight was ab it of a weird one because of his acl.

Diaz gets hit a lot. Conor’s really good at hitting. It’s kind of a dangerous fight.

Conor has a lot of weapons. When he tore his ACL on max Holloway he took him down. Took him down quite easily and passed his guard.

He has a lot of tools. What he does is he has so many tools against you and then he's got one... you know I call it the touch of death. He’s got that card.

When he's ready to lay it down on the table, he will lay it down on the table. But if he was a 1 trick pony he would be easier to avoid. Guys would have made it out of the first 2 rounds more often.

It's because he's so tricky in so many other realms you're defending so many different styles of attack that that left hand .. You know he corrals you toward that left hand.

Diaz gets hit a lot. Can he make his way out of the first 2 rounds? I believe he can. It’s possible. He’s bigger. It’s a welterweight fight. There are so many x factors.

For me, the first 2 rounds are super dangerous for Diaz. The rounds after that we really don't know what to expect. Diaz has got the heart, he's got the guts, and he’s got the toughness... but again that left hand, man.

[Speak about conor for a second. in terms of how your athletes portray themselves compared to how conor has chosen to portray himself, it's almost polar opposites...Do you feel there's a place for the talk like conor McGregor? or sometimes it detracts from...]

I tell my fighters this, if you have that naturally don't make it fake. If it's really who you are, there's nothing wrong with being who you are. But there's a line you shouldn't cross - you shouldn't insult people.

If you have the charisma and you can pick a fight...look... the truth of the matter is I’m happy we see conor break records. It’s making the sport better and I encourage him. If he gets paid $100 million that's great for all of us. I honestly wish him it.

When people talk now they are upset they heard sage gets paid. Good for him. That means he's blowing up the roof. He’s blowing up the lines. He’s shifting the lines higher up.

When McGregor gets the big pay days... When aldo… We should encourage them to move forward. It’s good for everybody.

You should not be upset that someone is getting paid big bucks. That just means there's more money in our business. So for me I encourage it. Conor has that natural ability to talk.

What would boxing be if Ali kept quiet? What would be boxing be?

If you have it in you naturally, use it. I just think you shouldn't cross the line. Like don't make it personally an insult or insult a person. You know his race, his nationality. I think there is a line.

[Do you think that's actively part of conor's game plan…Do you think there's a strategy there]

I think so... I think it depends on the fighter. Like Georges, when you talk trash, it makes him more and more. He was so bullied when he was young. You’re reviving these old memories of them. He’s like a robotic killer when it comes to bullies.

So for some guys it crushes mentally. For some guys it fuels them. Diaz I think…it’s going to fuel him. I think he's been in that world too long. It’s going to fuel him.

Then again it's conor's natural way so I think he's just being conor. And that's fine. It's going to make for an exciting fight and build up. And it's going to make our sport bigger.

[for the fans, is it a bigger fight for RDA or can this fight not be as big?]

For me, because I'm so into MMA, I'm glued to the set either guy. I think if they had more time to build it up the Diaz fight could be bigger because of all the buildup. Because of all the talk. I just looked at the promo and I was so hyped. They crossed out dos anjos' name and spray painted Diaz. I’m not going to miss this fight.

I wouldn’t have missed the dos anjos fight but I can see the fans being more intrigued with the back and forth because RDA was more quiet and reserved. But Diaz is not going to sit back.

He’s going to pull out the fingers, start slapping, and get in conor's face. I wouldn't be surprised if they throw down before the event. It’s two loose cannons you know.

2. Loiosh

Loiosh Detective Platinum Member

Thanks for the good work, TS.

JohnyBrabo likes this.
  3. FlyingKimurabar

FlyingKimurabar Silver Belt

Wish we could get a technical breakdown. He doesn't say much here that everyone doesn't already know.

His technical breakdowns are amazing though.

JohnyBrabo likes this.
  4. Sparkie

Sparkie Black Belt

thanks for the post ts

I like Zahabi's breakdowns

JohnyBrabo likes this.
  5. machidafan99

machidafan99 Silver Belt

Fasten your seatbelt Firas you're about the be shocked

6. Jay philips

Jay philips Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Firas looks like a Taliban fighter

stevenseagle, Fight To Win and tonil like this.
  7. tonil

tonil ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Sounds interesting , didn't know Zahabi have that ability to explain and express .

Jay philips likes this.
  8. Jay philips

Jay philips Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

You can tell that the guy doing the interview is dying to know what Conors dick taste like but afraid to ask because Firas will whip his ass.

VitorReem likes this.
  9. Ube

Ube Bibingka Belt

wait, are you implying that there's a good chance this fight's gonna be a five round point fight?

machidafan99 likes this.
  10. Jackonfire

Jackonfire Senior Modulator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Thanks for the transcript TS.

ilwab likes this.
  11. Faceplanter

Faceplanter Purple Belt

I always like hearing Firas' thoughts on fights, especially fighters' strengths and weaknesses and how they match up stylistically. Like he said, sorry Diaz fans, he's likely not surviving the first 2 rounds. The 99% chance of a finish he mentioned is geared towards Conor getting it done as usual. Nate's gonna get harpooned by that left early and he'll be in survival mode. Firas said it himself, "if he can survive the first 2 rounds then it will be interesting". Only one fighter has ever survived more than 2 rounds with Conor to see the 3rd round.

12. sidecheckkick

sidecheckkick Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Kinda overrated coach didn't he do a 2 hour breakdown for Aldo vs Conor? lol

stevenseagle and ilwab like this.
  13. raconnor

raconnor Rebawk Belt

when did we get all these teal baby mods

14. Chicagoluciano

Chicagoluciano White Belt

Made famous by GSP.

mrsenor and ilwab like this.
  15. billharford

billharford 181 Likes

great interview. thanks TS

16. DIRTYCOP

DIRTYCOP Purple Belt

17. BROWNPRIDE

BROWNPRIDE Red Belt

Firas is saying there's a chance.

18. raconnor

raconnor Rebawk Belt

no one gives a fuck.

Dragin'Don likes this.
  19. KootenayKid

KootenayKid Brown Belt

Nate just isn't skilled enough to beat Conor, no matter the reach or height.

20. JasonJJJ

JasonJJJ Orange Belt

What is the balls thing that the guy is hitting in the beginning and end of the video?