Media Firas Zahabi boxing up fight tips Shane

Around the 13 minute mark, Firaz compares mma/boxing defence to baseball. He says if you are in doubt, throw the ball to home plate. This is incorrect, when in doubt, throw it to 1st and get the sure out.

Everytime you search for any technique stuff on Youtube the first 50 videos you see are from that motherfucker.

you can tell if Firas decided to turn it on he could've mopped the floor with him at any moment.

Shane had stiff hands but his foot work semi looked slick for a beginner so you can tell he has training experience.

Firas actually shows sorta punching sloppy technique at times but he's boxing a rookie (I get caught for being too relaxed against rookies than I do against pros). The guys IQ is so high level and you can see it, in like the first 40 seconds he has all of Shane's reads and just covers up when something "new" comes up.

I've sparred high level guys (in my area) and there certainly is levels to it. Seeing Firas spar is cool because you can see what sort of principles he holds as a fighter and coach through his movements and style.

Shane is not bad, he's just a bit timid and doesn't have the power that Firas does. When he stuck to clean technique and orthodox he didn't do too bad. Firas has a lot of tricks, but he's all over the place and basically bullying Shane around with sloppy stuff. Went a little too hard too fast and came off looking mediocre imo.

Shane is not bad, he's just a bit timid and doesn't have the power that Firas does. When he stuck to clean technique and orthodox he didn't do too bad. Firas has a lot of tricks, but he's all over the place and basically bullying Shane around with sloppy stuff. Went a little too hard too fast and came off looking mediocre imo.
It's different when you're sparring somebody who isn't on your level, you get a bit lazy mentally.
Firas showed just by angles and footwork alone that Shane wouldn't be able to land a punch if Firas turned it up for real.

Remember when Sherdog thought there was no way Artem could lay a finger on Paulie?

Yeah. The best coaches tend to be the ones with a bit of fight experience. Not the ones with a long fight career or without any fight experience.
Look at Freddie Roach, only every held a minor regional title, retired at 26. One of the greatest boxing coaches of all time.

Shane had stiff hands but his foot work semi looked slick for a beginner so you can tell he has training experience.

Firas actually shows sorta punching sloppy technique at times but he's boxing a rookie (I get caught for being too relaxed against rookies than I do against pros).
This ”rookie” has fought as a pro in muay thai and has a amateur boxing and taekwondo background. Trained martial arts since he was a kid. Hardly a beginner by any stretch.

Come on now.

This ”rookie” has fought as a pro in muay thai and has a amateur boxing and taekwondo background. Trained martial arts since he was a kid. Hardly a beginner by any stretch.

Come on now.
I'm going off of what I see by my eyes, it looks very stiff IMO. Regardless Firas is going to make him miss no matter how fluid Shane's punches are. Firas shows way too slick IQ and distance control.
No disrespect to shane at all, like I said you can tell he knows some shit by his footwork and stance

It's different when you're sparring somebody who isn't on your level, you get a bit lazy mentally.
Firas showed just by angles and footwork alone that Shane wouldn't be able to land a punch if Firas turned it up for real.

He could have been punched off balance at like 4 different points, but yeah. Good footwork or something.

He could have been punched off balance at like 4 different points, but yeah. Good footwork or something.
Light sparring is completely different and you can clearly see he's not taking it serious. I'm not going to be the guy who critics GSP, and Rory's coach. On a light sparring session.

Firas is awful, but if he hasn't sparred like he says I get it I suppose?

Edit: Firas actually has some good advice for absolute beginners in this video. The covering up to get time to think is pretty good, finding a center where you can't really be hurt. Doesn't work on those who will turn you/force you to move but its a good tip for beginners.
Okay mma tough guy

Sparring is always or should always be light. Weird take.

Former amateur boxer, I did alright.
Sparring is different for different gyms. Chute boxe used to kill each other (not the point)

Firas is clearly taking it super easy, easier than easy sparring. About as easy as i'd take it with a complete newbie. When he spars legit fighters I guarentee you he looks different.

Sparring is different for different gyms. Chute boxe used to kill each other (not the point)

Firas is clearly taking it super easy, easier than easy sparring. About as easy as i'd take it with a complete newbie. When he spars legit fighters I guarentee you he looks different.

Chute boxe was wrong in doing so.

He's taking is seriously, he's working technique and trying to give him a bunch of different angles to work off of.

I don't think you spar noobs. Because you give them basic things to keep track of and work them up. You don't overwhelm them.

Chute boxe was wrong in doing so.

He's taking is seriously, he's working technique and trying to give him a bunch of different angles to work off of.

I don't think you spar noobs. Because you give them basic things to keep track of and work them up. You don't overwhelm them.
I don't know what your point is?
Firas is clearly levels above and just giving him looks to keep Shane on his toes. You said Firas could be knocked off balance but he's clearly not worried about getting hit.

The 2nd most rocked I've ever been sparring was against somebody I could dust in 2 minutes if I took them serious.... You get relaxed and make lazy mistakes against people a couple levels below while sparring.

Look at Freddie Roach, only every held a minor regional title, retired at 26. One of the greatest boxing coaches of all time.

That is a bit of a stretch to put Roach in there. He was a professional fighter with more than 40 fights and more than 30 wins. Heck he fought Hector Camacho. Freddy as a fighter was lightyears better than these two and that in the absolute prime of boxing with loads of talent!!

He just couldnt make it to the absolute top. You could shackle him one hand behind his back and he would outfight Shane easy and Firas also. Just a whole different level.

You guys seriously underrate Freddys boxing pedigree.

Back