1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Finishing the Triangle Choke

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by MatrixMA, Aug 8, 2010.

1. MatrixMA

MatrixMA Green Belt

Okay I have a question about the Triangle Choke. I have the set-up pretty much down I think, but once hold is locked in, is the textbook way to finish it by squeezing together as hard as you can, or like pulling down with the hooked leg. I know this is a very white belt question, I'm just trying to improve my ground game.

2. dirtypablo

dirtypablo Brown Belt

3. MatrixMA

MatrixMA Green Belt

Okay that was very helpful, what about if you don't spin to the side, like Werdum with Fedor?

4. thedoc56**

thedoc56** Blue Belt

hips up,head down, squeeze legs

-gjj

5. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

6. stile0

stile0 Purple Belt

the way i learned to do it was to do something like a crunch and just squeeze your knees together. shouldn't have to grab the head or anything like that.

7. Alaskantkdkid

Alaskantkdkid Green Belt

8. Team Sleep

Team Sleep Black Belt

The first step in finishing the triangle is to know what he defense for the triangle is and defending against that while you cinch it up.

The setup, especially in No Gi, must be lightning fast usually.

So the initial defense is to stack the guy on bottom.

Make sure you pull the cinched arm across your body, I like to put it under their chin to lock it down personally. Then take your hands and make a gable grip behind their head and crank their neck downward, so as to force their mouth onto your balls, like a tea bag.

Now they will really begin to fight if they haven't already. As long as the triangle is tight and cinched, it's 100%. So when the guy tries to stack you and create that compression on your spine, you just walk your shoulders away from the guy, extending his body, while tightening the choke and really cranking that gable on his neck.

You just finished the triangle.

The most important thing is to not get frustrated and release the choke. Also don't burn out your legs trying to finish it... the guy ain't goin nowhere if you can keep walking your shoulders away from him.

Even if you don't have it really cranked, once you defend against his initial response and he tries to stack you again and you walk your shoulders out again, he's extending all the effort to get out... you're gradually walking up the pressure...

not 100% power... try 40... can you hold 40% power for 20 seconds, then double that for 20 seconds, then REALLY up the hold for another 20 if need be?

If not, try 20%... no matter what, if you're not sure you can finish before you burn out your arms or legs with a choke, don't fully commit that energy. He gets out of the triangle, and into side control and you have no legs?

Knee/Belly, Mount, Armbar, etc... bad for you.

9. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

10. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

Maybe in case the guy, like me, is in work and a) got no sound on his PC, b) would be frowned upon if caught watching YouTube videos? Mind you, verbal/textual descriptions of complex physical movements and positioning isn't exactly ideal either :icon_chee

11. bunga

bunga White Belt

Yeah, once I saw that Ryan Hall video my triangles are so much more efficient and deadly lol
    Once it is slapped on you just move to the side and grab their leg and push your leg down creating unholy amount of pressure on their neck.

12. Team Sleep

Team Sleep Black Belt

Because Ryan Hall isn't the end all, be all of grappling. And that is one method, which leaves out a few things you can do to neutralize the defense that WILL BE COMING at a high level. It's not like you sink in a triangle and the match just ends.

13. bjornvil

bjornvil Blue Belt

I have found that Ryan's method, although very good, doesn't really apply to guys with short legs. Ryan has really long skinny legs, so he usually has no problem slapping on the triangle and locking it in. But because his legs are so long and skinny, he needs to squeeze really hard to finish the choke.

My triangle improved ALOT after I watched Ryan's DVD, but I've never gotten a hang of his "stomp and curl" finish. I really think it's because he needs to do this to tighten the triangle, where as when I get the perpendicular angle, I really don't have any space at all to do any stomping or curling... but that's a good thing as I usually get the tap as soon as I get the angle. If I don't I can pull the head or use Jeff Glover's "hug the knees" finish.

Peuhkis likes this.