Finishing Reverse/Inverted Triangles

Wandgun

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I've been catching some triangles in different positions lately, and have been stuck on the proper ways to finish or if even possible.

One is if I'm on bottom in north/south. I can catch this sometimes and try to sweep with it, but I don't really understand how or if I could catch a submission with it.

Also, if someone shoots on me, I can catch them as they drive into me. So it's almost like I'm sitting on their head looking towards their heels. I can finish this by grabbing their ankles and arching, but my buddy/training partner told me that it was hurting his back which is why he tapped, so I'm not sure if that's even legal. What's the proper way to finish that one?

Thanks!

Just like a normal triangle you need to create angles to finish well; if you're on bottom catching an inverted triangle you need to angle off to the proper side, if you're still not getting a tap try to pull the arm that's caught in the triangle closer so you can help the choke.

The "inverted/reverse" triangle off of the single leg shot can be finished pretty easily by applying the correct pressure and making sure the arm caught inside is secured tightly within the triangle; definitely do not pull on the ankles and make your training partners back arch like that because you're going to seriously injure the spine or neck doing that, if you want try to hook a leg with your arm to secure yourself while you apply the squeeze.

Inverted and reverse triangles have the same principles applied to them as normal triangles, make sure you're completing all the basic steps to finish the normal triangle but within the inverted or reverse position.

I like a couple of different approaches from bottom n/s inverted triangle. The less obvious (to me) is to approach it like a n/s choke. Control their hips by wrapping them up with your arms (aligning yourself with them), then the pressure goes south (or north, relative to them) as you squeeze. It feels like you're going to take their head off, just like when you're backing away from them to finish the n/s choke. I was dubious of this one but it works, as long as you keep their hips firmly controlled.

Second approach is like above suggested... finish like a normal triangle. Cut your 90 degree angle so you can do the stomp/curl finish

If you really are catching a reverse triangle, then you're looking to finish by getting your shin in tight to you and hip pressuring into them (forcing the space for their shoulder and carotid to shrink). It's WAY different than the stomp and curl, but it's good to recognize when you're in that position and be able to finish, inverted or not.

Back