Finishes from full guard: top vs. bottom

MMADragonFan88

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is a really interesting stat to me. I know Rashad finished Forrest from guard (I think Shogun did too), Anderson & Pettis both have a submission from bottom in guard, and IIRC Cain finished someone from top in their full guard.
Anyone else think of others?

Scott Jorgenson against Ken Stone is a good one.

3.gif

Bader vs Tom Lawlor on TUF.

2ue475e.gif

That's actually a pretty good KO against a decent fighter for Bader. Lawlor was one of the better guys to come out of that season.

I have no idea why I remember this but there was a sick arm triangle from the bottom full guard on a TUF elimination fight

Found it, Eddy Ellis:

Finishes from top vs bottom in closed is a weird statistic because most fighters aren't trying to finish from inside guard, whereas tons of fighters are good from the bottom.

You're probably going to find more submissions than finishes via strikes from inside the guard.

But there are tons of cases where fighters pass guard and then get the finish via strikes or submission.

BTW, there are pretty much limitless examples of both scenarios. Most guillotine chokes are "closed guard" submissions, and there are plenty of armbars and triangles that qualify.

Rick Story finished Brian Foster with an Arm Triangle from inside Foster's guard.

mousasi vs sokoudjou i think ended with mousasi gnp in sokoudjou's guard

Back