Fingle Fingers

Chad Hamilton

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Good day gentlemen-

I have recently fashioned some telephone poles into some fingle fingers of varying lengths. I am curious if any of you have any routine suggestions.
I assume to do them with my GPP day that already includes:
Tire Flips
Keg Toss (actually its a log)
Sledgehammer swings
Sandbag clean and press, or more like clean and throw.

Any routine suggestion would be appreciated.

Chad

Haha! Holy shit you've got fingle fingers thats awesome! How tall are the telphone polls? How difficult are they for you to lift? I'd really like to see how you made them.

Chad Hamilton said:
Good day gentlemen-

I have recently fashioned some telephone poles into some fingle fingers of varying lengths. I am curious if any of you have any routine suggestions.
Tire Flips
Sledgehammer swings

Chad

sorry no advice, but I sure would love to throw some logs. I need to start doing some of the methods you listed...

Stand them up, flip them over, and then yell, "Viking Power".

Have you tried doing the caber toss with one yet? That would be sweet.

Chad Hamilton said:
Good day gentlemen-

Tire Flips
Sledgehammer swings

Chad

Dude, Chad, did you steal some telephone poles? Because that would be awesome.

You would totally have my little brother by the balls. He's stolen 3 street signs now (including a stop sign at the end of the block...he took that on foot, with a roommate accomplice, in a drunken hysteria, and much retelling ahead of him).

That is awesome chad. I sometimes wish I lived in a more rural area so I could have things like tires and telephone poles in my backyard.

Not to hijack, but stealing stop signs is a bad idea. If someone doesn't stop and gets killed or injured in an accident and they find out who took it you are in big trouble. If someone dies you can get in trouble for manslaughter. I took a few signs at college, but stayed away from those.

First off, they were cut down by the county in front of my fathers house.
Caber toss....I did not think of that.
They're 12, 16, 18 ft.
The 12 is more of a warm up and now Im gonna use it for the caber toss.
16...tough
18...I almost hurt myself.

Now someone help me out and answer my Q please.

Rjkd12 said:
That is awesome chad. I sometimes wish I lived in a more rural area so I could have things like tires and telephone poles in my backyard.

Not to hijack, but stealing stop signs is a bad idea. If someone doesn't stop and gets killed or injured in an accident and they find out who took it you are in big trouble. If someone dies you can get in trouble for manslaughter. I took a few signs at college, but stayed away from those.

Actually, I realized I got the story wrong. He took the stop sign from somewhere else (I know it's not the best idea, but in many places around where we live, street signs are still something of a formality). I think they might have put that one back. I have no idea where it went. It's not in their backyard anymore.

No, wait, this is the story. This is great. I can't believe I screwed it up.

One night my little brother's roommate Chris comes home. This guy is a bio major, the #1 student in his class at Chico State. He studies hard. He also plays hard. My little brother was playing Halo, about to go to bed, he had some committment early the next morning. Chris stops at the door and says hi. Cam turns, sees the beer in his hand, and says, "Ah, you're drinking?"
Chris says, "Yeah, you are too."
Cam sort of squints quizzically, "No I'm not."
"Yes you are."
"No, dude, I have (some shit in the morning)."
"That's gonna suck with a hangover."

Having successfully peer pressured my brother into drinking, Chris asks, "Wanna do something stupid?"
"YES."

So they brainstorm. Here's where you need a touch of backstory. They live on a residential street that outlies most of the town, yet this short, residential street sees a ton of traffic simply because it's the shortest route connecting two more heavily trafficked areas of the town. There are several speed bumps on this road, yet people still wanna rip down it at 50 mph. This has always pissed all of us off. We actually love it when someone damages their vehicle. One time this dumb teenager tried to rev his Audi or whatever down this street at 2AM. We were in the house and it sounded like an explosion. He had ripped off that fancy bumper guys like to deck out their cars with, I don't know what it's called. He was hysterical right at the end of our driveway, and we were pointing and laughing at him and his friends.

So Chris asks Cameron, "Wanna steal the speed bump sign?" I admit it, this is sheer spite. And youthful mischievousness. But they thought it was hilarious. They laugh to themselves at their evil little plan: without the sign, people are in for some rude driving.

Now, these guys were smashed. Cam said they downed something like half a handle together. But they're running and laughing down their street gearing for the sign. They uproot it, and Cam shoulders it and starts to sprint to safety. Probably 200 yards. But he's laughing uncontrollably now thinking about what he's done.

He's telling me this, and he says, "Man, I was so gone from the booze and hysterical that I had this sign on my shoulder that says, 'Warning: Speed Bumps' that I forget there's fucking speed bumps on the street, right? On my own goddamn street. Suddenly I catch one with my toe at a dead sprint and next thing I know I faceplant the concrete."

He had to get seven stitches. Because he couldn't remember, despite carrying a sign that says speed bump right there on it, in bold letters, a sign he had stolen in order that people wouldn't know there were speed bumps on the street and forget to monitor their speed, and he forgets to monitor his, and he ends up with a cut so deep we had to patch on gauze to his chin like we were putting a diaper on a baby.

Irony or karma, you decide.

Great story. I love shit like that. Now, sometimes when I drink with buddies I get upset about thinking of all the good times we had and how I"m too old to do crap like that now. I'm not that old, and considering I"m still a student I may still be eligible for stuff like that, I still feel like I should be doing different things than stealing signs and pissing on foreign cars.

Chad Hamilton said:
First off, they were cut down by the county in front of my fathers house.
Caber toss....I did not think of that.
They're 12, 16, 18 ft.
The 12 is more of a warm up and now Im gonna use it for the caber toss.
16...tough
18...I almost hurt myself.

Now someone help me out and answer my Q please.

That's pretty sweet! The routines you could make are nearly endless. You could flip one, run around to the other side and flip it back over. Repeat as many times as you want and time yourself. You could do a couple of mini-medleys with the two bigger ones. You could make up other kinds of medleys too, like flip tire twice, flip 16' finger, flip tire twice, flip 18' finger, flip tire twice. You could go for max reps and vary your technique as you begin to fatique. You generally want to keep your elbows locked out so you're not pressing it up with each step. This will tire your shoulders so as they begin to burn you can get more of your triceps involved and press it out a little bit. When your tris and shoulders are fried set the log down directly onto your shoulder, give it some leg drive and run under it. Keep inching it up this way until it's flipped. You could even just train your explosiveness by cleaning the finger for reps without worrying about flipping it over. Is this the kind of stuff you were looking for?

If this is the first time you've used fingers you'll own that 18 footer in no time.

BC.

Thanks BC.

I had some similar ideas.
Trained with them yesterday and the clean portion is quite satisfying.
Supersetted with tire flips.

By the way Madmick, good read.

Chad Hamilton said:
By the way Madmick, good read.

Thanks. Sorry I can't really contribute anything to your routine.

We used to have two guys who compete in the Scottish games work out here all the time at night, I bullshitted with them a lot. If they come in, I'll ask them, but they haven't been in for like 3 months (which makes me question their dedication to their sport).

I tried the caber toss.

I'll do harm to the man who suggested that.

Chad Hamilton said:
I tried the caber toss.

I'll do harm to the man who suggested that.

That was me. Did you hurt yourself? Try wearing a skirt/kilt next time. :D

Tsk Tsk Chad. You should have known. With the kilt being so big you should have expected those things to fly around like tiny balls in a large can of spray paint.

Rjkd12 said:
Tsk Tsk Chad. You should have known. With the kilt being so big you should have expected those things to fly around like tiny balls in a large can of spray paint.
Good Thread. Great reads, I got a nice chuckle out of Madmick's story and have added a new analogy of balls in a oversize spraypaint can to my rep.

Back