1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Finger stiffness morning after BJJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by asphyxia, Jul 9, 2010.

1. asphyxia

asphyxia Orange Belt

When I wake up on mornings after BJJ my fingers feel really stiff and its hard to stretch them straight and close them in a fist. They feel normal the rest of the day after I initially stretch them out for a few minutes when I wake up.
    Been training for 8 months, stiffness started a few months ago I'd say.

Anyone else experience this? Is it normal? Sign of arthritis or just my grip recovering/getting stronger?

2. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I'm getting that too in several of my fingers. The joints are a little swollen and stiff, and my right pinky can no longer straighten all the way. It will probably get better if you take time off, take joint supplements or whatever, but as long as you keep training gi BJJ you will probably keep hurting your fingers. I don't think it will go ever go away unless you quit training. I think it's extremely common, judging by how many people tape their fingers for training, and how many times I've seen people on Sherdog complain about finger injuries.

3. ILikeBread

ILikeBread Green Belt

I've been training for a little over a month, and the issue I have is with my wrists. When I wake up in the morning I have to use my fists to push myself out of bed.

4. asphyxia

asphyxia Orange Belt

Luckily it's not really painful, it just feels like they need to be lubed.

I've been building up the callouses on my knuckles but they still get ripped off sometimes. For a week or so after they get ripped off I tape them (only while at BJJ) to let them heal. I don't tape for anything other than that, but maybe I should?

I saw Robson Moura wearing these fingerguards (?) on his fingers during one of his instructional DVDs. Know what those are?

5. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Same issue here, fingers are pretty beat up.... I took 5 days off for the holiday weekend and they felt better, but I just hurt them again when I started back up.

6. superking

superking Poet — Traveler — Soldier of Fortune

My fingers do get stiff and hurt, but my biggest problem is my knees. Ever since starting BJJ my knees hurt like a bitch.

7. HotViolence

HotViolence White Belt

I went through the same thing when I first started, but after a few months it went away after doing finger exercises daily. I've also gotten less crazy with trying to cross choke everyone, so that is probably a big factor as well. As odd as it sounds, stretch your fingers daily

8. ichimonji

ichimonji Blue Belt

try using the grip on the gi a little less. And when you grab the gi don't try to use all your strength.

I have done judo and BJJ for years. I see alot of people who cause premature arthritis in their fingers. Try learning to use your no gi moves in a gi and save your fingers when they are really needed (Gi Chokes and Spider Guard)

But I would try some the nsaid of your choice. If you are missing strength in your hands I am a big believer in pull ups with a gi.

9. ShindoNinja

ShindoNinja faixa marrom

When I started grappling I had sore hands bc I was holding on for dear life. As you get better at it I think you only grip tight when you need to. I am getting old and I also work at a computer, so I can't over do gripping or I pay the next day big time.

10. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Yeah good advice. I've been trying to use the cuff grip and pistol grip less as they're pretty hard on the fingers. I've been gripping the bottom of the sleeves between my fingers and palm instead. It's not as strong of a grip but it saves wear and tear on your knuckles. I've also been trying to use underhooks and overhooks more, like in no-gi.

11. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

My fingers are usually sore, try also taping in between the joints to help support.