Finally watched Carmont-Costa, not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

613MMAfan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
With how much criticism this fight got and having seen Carmont's fights with Lawlor and Larkin I was expecting this to be awful, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some people made it out to be. And I'm definitely not a fan of Carmont in the least, not after those fights and I think his nickname is ridiculous, but this fight just wasn't that bad.

Carmont was very active in trying to pass Costa's guard and was pretty successful in doing so, and he landed a decent amount of good shots from the top and tried to set up submissions when he had the chance. He certainly wasn't just laying on top not trying to do anything like people made it sound like. A lot of you people seem to think it should be easy for someone to land big ground and pound or get submissions on good UFC fighters like Costa.

Also, Big John standing them up when Carmont was in his half guard for like 20 seconds was beyond ridiculous.

yea i didnt find it to be a bad fight at all. a little lackluster and one sided maybe but if you were listening to a lot of other sherdoggers it seemed like the trash of the year in terms of the fight.

i'd attribute it to:

a.) Carmont not being popular- most people think of him as a dull points oriented fighter

b.) Carmont's last two victories- one of which i thought was ludicrous (Lorenz) and the other of which i thought was paper thin.

c.) Costa being a darling of sherdog and being anticipated as a potential title challenger. i dont think anyone wanted to see him get completely put out of his game like that.

Yeah, Carmont was kinda active (but not that much effective), but at least derailred Costa hype train.

I had money on Costa and seriously, Carmont looked great in this fight.

He didn't destroy Costa, but he was consistently working, throwing shots, and trying to pass.

Complain about his last 2 where he effectively did very little and should've lost. He dominated Costa in a GSP-esque performance (which is what he was hyped as being capable of when he first showed up in the UFC).

yea i didnt find it to be a bad fight at all. a little lackluster and one sided maybe but if you were listening to a lot of other sherdoggers it seemed like the trash of the year in terms of the fight.

i'd attribute it to:

a.) Carmont not being popular- most people think of him as a dull points oriented fighter

b.) Carmont's last two victories- one of which i thought was ludicrous (Lorenz) and the other of which i thought was paper thin.

c.) Costa being a darling of sherdog and being anticipated as a potential title challenger. i dont think anyone wanted to see him get completely put out of his game like that.

Maybe a little bit of C, but I think you're off the mark here...

The over the top trashing was due to the GSP/Zahabi connection, and the fact that you could tell he had no intention of trying to finish the fight. The idea that finishing your fight should be priority #1 for any MMA fighter is a concept near and dear to the hearts of many a sherdogger...and when they see another guy from that camp fighting in a very GSP-esque way (safe), with GSP right there in his corner, they lash out.

Unless, there is a heck of a mismatch, there is nothing really safe in the UFC, especially when you are a champ like GSP and that you face only the cream of the division (usually.)

GSP "creates" his safety as he still wants to be able to spell his name when he is 48 years old. I call it smart. He his in no hurry to sound like Ozzy Osbourne.

I am a GSP fan and I would also like a bit more offensise flash here and there but the guy has little punching power other than a hell of a stiff jab.

He stitches is often average tools with one of the best fighting IQ in the biz along with some very solid strategic preparation. Strangely enough, his fights attract a lot of eyeballs.

I might actually not dislike Carmont if the Larkins fight wasn't such a bad decision. Hell I might of even jumped on the bandwagon now but alas, dat Larkins fight.

I was a bit surprised Dana made that big of a deal about it. Carmont was landing some big gnp while Costa actively fought for submissions.

With how much criticism this fight got and having seen Carmont's fights with Lawlor and Larkin I was expecting this to be awful, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some people made it out to be. And I'm definitely not a fan of Carmont in the least, not after those fights and I think his nickname is ridiculous, but this fight just wasn't that bad.

Carmont was very active in trying to pass Costa's guard and was pretty successful in doing so, and he landed a decent amount of good shots from the top and tried to set up submissions when he had the chance. He certainly wasn't just laying on top not trying to do anything like people made it sound like. A lot of you people seem to think it should be easy for someone to land big ground and pound or get submissions on good UFC fighters like Costa.

Also, Big John standing them up when Carmont was in his half guard for like 20 seconds was beyond ridiculous.

Yes.... it was bad, Carmont is the king of dry humping

I didn't know who Carmont was when I watched it and I thought it was pretty boring. Then I saw GSP in his corner and knew after the first TD how the entire(obviously full 3 round) fight would go. Do just enough to not get stood up, a little squirming and grunting, but don't try to posture for more than 1 shot to maybe do some damage. My friend didn't know who either guy was and his reaction halfway through was "this is a shitty fight".

Carmont is the most boring fighter in the UFC. Carmont/Costa is the most blatant display of lay n pray i have ever seen.

If you'd paid $50 for the PPV, would you have said the Carmont fight was worth paying for?

Great post and agree with you 100%. You will catch a lot of flack from people tho because most of them dont really care if a guy can pass guard quickly and dominate a very strong opponent as they've probably never tried grappling. He landed good shots and avoided getting subbed, but that doesnt matter to a lot of people because he didnt get a tko from it. I thought he was great and that Costa was exposed as having no business in top 5.

Back