Finally Nick Diaz rematched with Robbie Lawler after 17 years

It wasn't the weed suspension... It was partying with Ronda that did him him.

I believe he lived a rather disciplined t life before that, and then started liking that booze just a bit too much.

I can't believe one of my favorite fighters from the dawn of Martial arts Nick Diaz is finally getting the chance to come back to the UFC. Nick hasn't fought in six years because of a BS marijuana suspension. I mean yeah Nick used marijuana but it's so insane that he wasn't allowed to be a professional fighter because of it. And now that California is legal, fighters are allowed to use it to heal finally since it has incredible rehabilitation and recovery uses. Nick looks fit, clear minded, focused and his belief is back. Also Nick has thrown off his gangster attitude and represents himself as a lifelong martial artist. How much of that is TV and how much is reality remains to be seen.

And he's fighting Robbie Lawler. Robbie who won the UFC Welterweight division championship from Big Rigg Johnny Hendricks when he was at the top of his game. Robbie has fought every great fighter in the UFC not named GSP and destroyed GSP's protege The Red King from British Columbia Rory Macdonald when he was at the top of his game. Robbie has several belts at home.

This fight is a rematch 17 years in the making. In the first fight Nick knocked out Robbie in the second round.

I'm stoked to see these old warriors in their twilight about to go to battle against each other.
Very good summary of the Countdown vid right there.
Yes, mighty excited here also. Big Robbie fan and Diaz appears to be more clear-headed now.
Also says he'll probably be more respectful to Robbie but then again he also recognizes that his trash talk was pretty effective the first time around

It's weird to me people will bash the boxing exhibition nonsense and be excited about this fight at the same time. This is one of those types of fights.

They are both shadows of their former selves. BUT. Their styles make me think that they can still put on a show even if it's just for this one last fight.

Yep you are the only one.

170 is a wasteland right now. A couple of top dogs and a ton a B level guys like Masvidal or old guys near the end of their career. Nick will add some much needed zing into the 170 division. I doubt even at his best if he beats Usman or Covington but everybody else (other than maybe Leon) would be in a shit ton of trouble against him.
Nick's never been elite either,

Beyond me how anyone can be a fan of the sport and not a fan of Nick.

Also, I think all of us, looking at the stats, are very nervous. Typically this age/this length of inactivity never bodes well. Would be amazing to be wrong here though!

Yep you are the only one.

170 is a wasteland right now. A couple of top dogs and a ton a B level guys like Masvidal or old guys near the end of their career. Nick will add some much needed zing into the 170 division. I doubt even at his best if he beats Usman or Covington but everybody else (other than maybe Leon) would be in a shit ton of trouble against him.

Thanks for the laugh<Lmaoo>

Even in his prime Diaz couldn’t cut it in the UFC, he wouldn’t do well against the current guys.

Nick hasn't won a fight in almost 10 years and he's spent a lot of the last 5 years partying and getting wasted. Lawler hasn't won a fight in 4 years, but as far as we know he's still been training that whole time.

Maybe I'm in for a shock but I think Lawler wins and wins quite easily

Thanks for the laugh<Lmaoo>

Even in his prime Diaz couldn’t cut it in the UFC, he wouldn’t do well against the current guys.

Maybe go have a look at who was in 170 when Nick was in his prime. When GSP sat on top of the 170 division it was the strongest weight class. Today its pretty much a joke.

I would have assumed you would know enough about the history of the 170 division to understand that but clearly not. When you have guys like Masvidal, Burns and Luque in the top 10 you know the weight class is shit.

Right now you have Usman, Covington and Edwards and then everyone else.

Nick's never been elite either,

And yet you have guys like Luque and Masvidal ranked in the top 10 and they are "elite" ? lol.

When WW was at its peak, Nick was entertaining but limited due to his inability to stop takedowns. WW hasn't been a top weight class in a long time. Just a couple of really good guys and a bunch of bums.

Nick Diaz sending Lawler to the canvas was one of those fights I walked away with some emotional feeling about the outcome. Hope Lawler can take one back.

Got a horrible feeling that the winner of this will end up fighting one of the celebrity boxing personalities.

It's criminal this fight didn't happen while Nick was still semi active and Lawler was in prime resurgence. 2013 would have been fucking fireworks.

Their first fight made me hate Diaz for over a decade (I was a huge Lawler fan at the time) and Diaz humiliated him. Slapping him, trying to still fight him after the bell...goddamn that pissed me off. I wanted this rematch more than any other rematch in history.

I'm still glad to finally see it, but Lawler has looked terrible in his last 5 or so outings, his knees are gone...Diaz hasn't won a fight in a decade and both are nearing 40.

I just hope they bring it to each other and not circle, faint, taunt repeat. I gotta feeling this is gonna happen.

Back