Finally! My Jon Jones thread

goforthefinish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Got a yellow card so couldnt make a topic. Anyway, regarding Jon Jones, I previously was a hater, I didnt like him. After this fight, I am absolutely a fan. I also predict this fight has humbled him a bit. What I saw from Jon is the absolute will not to lose. He showed glimpses of it against Vitor and to a lesser extent Shael (no hespect) Sonnen with pretty damn severe injuries.

But this fight, I saw his change in the 4th, where he visibly psyched himself up, and I think that it helped him to land that savage Hellbow. Due to the extent of his injuries afterward you can tell that nearly any other man would have been finished. Personally I had Gus winning the first three rounds, but they were all so close it could have went either way. In any case, Jon showed why he should be the Champion, stealing the 4th, and smashing the 5th.

Jon is a special fighter, not only because of his skill set, but you would be hard pressed to find someone with the will and heart he has in MMA; with to me the only one close to it is Frankie Edgar. But unlike Edgar, Jon goes for the finish. Let me correct that, you had to look no further than the opponent he fought, Alex.

Alex was stinking amazing, he absorbed so much punishment, and even ate Jons notorious Hellbows and hardly budged until that one near the end of the 4th, which would have dropped almost anyone else in the division. I think the knock on Gus is lack of diversity in his striking game. I think he should have tried to throw some kicks down the pipe against Jones. Jones biggest weakness to me is lack of lateral movement and head movement, prime requirements for a front face kick. In any regard like the HW division with Cain and JDS, I think this division will have two young good warriors to face each other and make some of the best matches in UFC history.

So in the end I just want to thank Gus and Jones for one of the most entertaining fights I have seen in any combat sport, in any division. You both have earned a fan for whatever its worth.

I'm sure most sherdoggers give Jones and Gus their dues for the fight. Fan or not.

I'm not a fan and have no desire to be but he did earn my hespect as well.

I'm sure most sherdoggers give Jones and Gus their dues for the fight. Fan or not.

This.

I like watching Jones fight for history sake but he is a little annoying. I like watching Gus fight cause he's fun to watch fight and seems like a classy fellow. I was more impressed with Gus (though I did score 3-2 for Jones) than I was with Jones in this outing. Did more for Gus' stock IMO

I disagree and this thread proves it by posters giving a small compliment and immediately taking it back by adding a laundry list of things about Jones they 'dislike,' or subtly implying he's a deficient fighter who got lucky. That's not respect. That's an agenda. It's about soft trolling any praise thread about Jones by bringing the same rehashed and frankly, quite tired negativity into the discussion.

I disagree and this thread proves it by posters giving a small compliment and immediately taking it back by adding a laundry list of things about Jones they 'dislike,' or subtly implying he's a deficient fighter who got lucky. That's not respect. That's an agenda. It's about soft trolling any praise thread about Jones by bringing the same rehashed and frankly, quite tired negativity into the discussion.

Despite showing a lack of solid striking defense, Jones did what was necessary to hold on to his belt.

Does that do it for you?

Despite showing a lack of solid striking defense, Jones did what was necessary to hold on to his belt.

Does that do it for you?

It does. I'm no Jones' discipl, but frankly I do believe people have irrational hatred towards the guy that says a lot more about their weakness of character than this.

It does. I'm no Jones' discipl, but frankly I do believe people have irrational hatred towards the guy that says a lot more about their weakness of character than this.

Of course they have a bit of irrational hate. All successful athletes draw it upon themselves.

It's normal.

Jon Jones is a hard mother fucker. He earned my respect when he didn't tap against Vitor, and he's been slowing winning me as a fan since. I don't think he is really dodging Gus, but the same time I do so he is kinda losing me there.. But along with his physical gifts he is also gifted with a huge heart and will to win. You can see that in all of his fights.

Shut the hell up :rolleyes: I said what I said and I stand by it.

I've read a good deal of your comments and you're pretty much a troll, who also thinks you're funnier and smarter than you are. I'll ignore you from now on.

You're whining like a little bitch because I didn't worship Jones. I gave the man his dues, and yet it's not good enough unless I worship him. He's earned my respect but I'll never be a fan. :icon_evil

Not a Jones fan past, present of ever. That being said, he is a warrior for sure. Still, he lost to Gus.

a whitebelt has no right to judge a mod

Sometimes mods do stupid shit as well. Not often, definitely not always, but it has been known to happen. They are people after all. People who post on Sherdog.

Back