Finally bought, played and finished Spec Ops: the Line

I bought it when it first came out and quickly returned it. i played it on hard right from the get go.

Then saw it's praise on teh internets and decided to give it another go. played through it on normal and loved it.

There's a lot of great easter eggs and hints to be found.

Who would have thought that a german studio can accomplish such a brilliant game?

I've started reading "Killing is Harmless: A Critical Reading of Spec Ops: The Line by Brendan Keogh".

It's a pretty interesting dissection of the game and has brought out things I hadn't noticed during my playthrough.

I'll let you guys know what I think when I finish it.

Great game, amazing take on heart of darkness, but those damn grenades especially on fubar difficulty.

I played the demo and thought it was a complete joke. The controls sucked (on PC), the shooting felt like crap, the level design was linear as can be, and the graphics weren't very good, either.

Then I bought the game on sale and made myself play through it. And holy crap what an experience...

I'll be honest, the gameplay isn't very good at all. Many of my demo complaints stand--the shooting sucks, the level design is super linear--but the story is what really makes this game stand apart from all the other modern military shooters out there. It pulls no punches in how it portrays war, and isn't afraid to show what most movies and games won't. You just have to play through it to understand.

I won't spoil any of the specific story moments for anyone who hasn't played it, but I will say this: the ending (at least the one that I got.. hint hint!) gives me chills to this day.

Just finished and I must say it was quite the journey.

Agree with Chubz that the gameplay is a little unrefined, but the story keeps you pushing forward regardless.

Back