Finally bought, played and finished Spec Ops: the Line

YPMG

Patriot Nation
@purple
Reaction score
All I can say is wow!

While I'm not a huge fan of 3rd Person Shooters and the mechanics weren't the greatest, story was perhaps one of the best and most engaging I've played through in recent times. Really enjoyed the morality of the decisions and the games multiple endings - after the credits rolled I found myself sitting back and reflecting on all that was.

While it's a short game (I clocked the campaign on 'normal' in 7.6hrs while messing around for achievements) you could likely breeze through it in a single sitting - IMO this would provide the best effect.

Anyone else rate this little gem? If you haven't played it, grab it on the next Steam Sale, you won't be disappointed!

I got it for 4.99 on the Xbox live sale yesterday, got pretty in to it, I should be finished tonight.

Very surprisingly great game, it seems as though it really flew under the radar.

The gameplay felt like GoW in a cod setting which was decent enough but the story is fantastic, I love the 'Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now' atmosphere.

After the white phosphorous scene I almost didn't feel like playing anymore and it was great how that was reflected in the soldiers attitudes, even the execution animations got more brutal eg. Going for kneecaps first before headshots

One of the best games ever free on PS+. I would have totally skipped over it and would have missed out on one of the true gems of last gen if it wasn't free. I gotta download it and play it again soon. Such a fantastic game.

After the white phosphorous scene I almost didn't feel like playing anymore and it was great how that was reflected in the soldiers attitudes, even the execution animations got more brutal eg. Going for kneecaps first before headshots

The WP scene was brutal, but there's some foreshadowing going on when you see the people clustered behind the gate.

For me, what was WAY more brutal was immediately after you launch the WP, you cross the battlefield to the gate, and there are a bunch of half-dead soldiers screaming, crying, begging for help, and asking why you did it. It was so incredibly uncomfortable and well done.

I say it every time I talk about SOTL, but this game fundamentally changed how I view violent media. It hit the right note so loudly and has had an incredible lasting effect.

I remember going to gamestop and looking at that game a while ago. While I was there one of the employees asked me I had any questions, so I asked what he thought of the game. He told me it was short and nothing special.

Fuck that guy.

I love that game. I finally played it month ago after reading about it on this forum and decided to buy it for cheap and it's now one of favorite games of last gen.

It's rare for me to play through a game more than once these days, but I beat that game twice back to back and look forward to playing it again in the future soon.

I keep hearing about this game. I think I'll get it on a steam sale.

It's weird how the game makes you feel like shit and yet you can't help but acknowledge how good it is.

This is somewhat common with films but almost unheard of with video games.

I love how after that infamous scene he just starts shifting all the blame for what transpired to Konrad. Walker is one of the most interesting video game characters of this generation.

"Every minute we spend waiting is the difference between a soldier going home alive or going home in a bodybag" is one of the greatest lines in video game history and a brilliant piece of foreshadowing.

I agree with everyone here but the biggest gut wrench for me was;

Seeing Luggo hanging there with Adams basically giving in to his inner animal. The choice whether to open fire on the civilians you are supposed to save or avenge your own mistake with violence was brutal

It touches on so many themes and really gives an insight as to the how and why PTSD exists - what you see, what you do and the decisions you make in war have severe implications. This type of game doesn't come around too often!

Yeah, YPMG. I agree the first time I went the revenge route. It felt supprisingly good. The second time, I went the peaceful route, but still wanted to mow those asshole down.

Finished this last week, and it's a great game.

As far as I know, your character dies in the beginning after the helicopter crash. The rest is him reliving his own personal hell, hence why he says "i've done this before" and why he torments himself with hallucinations. Very well done.

I totally forgot I bought this on sale until I saw this thread. May have to start this when I finish TWD.

I agree with everyone here but the biggest gut wrench for me was;

Seeing Luggo hanging there with Adams basically giving in to his inner animal. The choice whether to open fire on the civilians you are supposed to save or avenge your own mistake with violence was brutal

It touches on so many themes and really gives an insight as to the how and why PTSD exists - what you see, what you do and the decisions you make in war have severe implications. This type of game doesn't come around too often!

Just finished it now, fantastic game!

That was a tough bit, I thought enough had happened at that point so I just went peacefully.

I liked how there was a choice of multiple endings as well, like with the epilogue after the credits.

I recently bought this game at Gamestop for a few bucks and I honestly think this was the best story Ive ever seen in a video game glad to see everyone in this thread pretty much agrees
The WP scene was the first time I ever felt guilty for something I did in a frickin video game
Such a well made game

This was one of those games that makes you think. Great game. A must play for any war movie fan.

the games story line and presentation was a legit 10/10

ooo this thread is brining back the feels, wouldn't mind another play through.

Loved it.

The scene where they lynch your buddy and you can open fire into the crowd is really moving. Same with the phosphorous attack; walking through a see of corpses and dying (finishing them off if you want).

I like the game can add a fun soundtrack and mechanics, so I get lost in the moment on a killing spree only to be brought back down again by the realism to follow. They give you just enough rope to hang yourself.

Absolutely loved this game, the story really showed how your decisions aren't always black and white and in war no matter what you do, the results will be terrible.
What starts as your typical shooter where the good guys have a mission to do and defeat evil etc... slowly turns into one total fuck up where no side is right or wrong and they are all as brutal and ruthless as one another.

A refreshing change from the usual COD nonsense of nonstop cinematic explosions and the good guys saving the world once again.

Holy shit this game is fun.

Did I just mortar a bunch of civilians? Fuck you man.

Back