FINAL vote & opinnion, BEST BJJ SCHOOL IN NEW YORK NYC

let's make one then!

Who would win in gi if they were all in their primes? Representatives from all 4 schools.

1) Vitor Shaolin
2) Renzo Gracie
3) Lucas Lepri
4) Marcelo Garcia

Tough to say. Marcelo's won the mundials 4x as a black belt, Shaolin = 3, and Lucas =1, and Renzo's competitive bjj days were before the mundials (I think...)

Can we agree that marcelos game might not be the best game for everyone or ppl might not be able to ever play it as good as he... If I learned there I'd wanna know more especially in GI... You nyu people need to get Lucas lepri to join marcelos gym or at least have some teaching exchange twice a week that would be insane!

Can we agree that marcelos game might not be the best game for everyone or ppl might not be able to ever play it as good as he... If I learned there I'd wanna know more especially in GI... You nyu people need to get Lucas lepri to join marcelos gym or at least have some teaching exchange twice a week that would be insane!

Why would we agree to that? Marcelo has always said that his game is for everyone. If you dissect his techniques, you will see that it is.

You mentioned that you want to learn more in the gi....you realize that Marcelo is arguably one of the top 10 best gi bjj practioners in history, right?

My vote goes to Marcelo's. I've trained at all 4 schools before, and while they are all excellent, I just prefer Marcelo's for a few reasons.
You will also find some black belts at Marcelo's who are there regularly, along with some well knowns who will drop by when in town too.

let's make one then!

Who would win in gi if they were all in their primes? Representatives from all 4 schools.

1) Vitor Shaolin
2) Renzo Gracie
3) Lucas Lepri
4) Marcelo Garcia

marcelo,

marcelo did beat renzo in adcc and vitor in something.

i would take marcelo over the other 3 gi or no gi.

i trained at Shaolins as a white belt. it wasnt a great experience, although he is a sweetheart and gentleman. Loro and Danillo were there to help him at that time and they are really nice guys especially Danillo. It was basically on organized fight club with little to no emphasis on technique at all. Shaolin shows a move then the blue and purple belts attempt to do it in paris and the white belts basically have a fight club until he comes over and shows you the move then after he walks away its a fight club again. I really like the guy and i feel bad for even writing this, the higher belts got great instruction as Shaolin's students always place very well in competitions. People are very cool there, just not a good beginners school. Sorry for the long write up and I hope i dont offend Shaolin or the students by saying this.

How come alliance just don't get a bigger space? I'd imagine it's a big factor in someone's decision for a bjj school once they see it.

if i had to guess, i would say that real estate in Manhattan isn't very cheap

lol

i trained at Shaolins as a white belt. it wasnt a great experience, although he is a sweetheart and gentleman. Loro and Danillo were there to help him at that time and they are really nice guys especially Danillo. It was basically on organized fight club with little to no emphasis on technique at all. Shaolin shows a move then the blue and purple belts attempt to do it in paris and the white belts basically have a fight club until he comes over and shows you the move then after he walks away its a fight club again. I really like the guy and i feel bad for even writing this, the higher belts got great instruction as Shaolin's students always place very well in competitions. People are very cool there, just not a good beginners school. Sorry for the long write up and I hope i dont offend Shaolin or the students by saying this.

Really? That's funny cause I train at Shaolin's school and I'm a beginner who thinks it's a great school. Shaolin always pairs whites with higher belts when teaching techniques and he's definitely a hands-on instructor. He's always correcting the n00b mistakes that I'm making, and I've definitely improved since I've been there (about 4 months now).

I also think Louro is a great instructor, though his method is a little different from Shaolin's.

I'm not saying you're wrong or you're lying, but when was the last time you went there? I think if you attend the school now you'll share the same opinion as me.

To answer the TC's question: I train at Shaolin's so of course I'm going to recommend that, but to answer it from an unbiased point-of-view -- you can't go wrong with any of these schools.

By "fight club", do you mean sparring/rolling?

Are the white belts paired up, or are a dozen of you left in
a royal rumble type of "fight club"?

Where do you train currently and how do you like it?

Really? That's funny cause I train at Shaolin's school and I'm a beginner who thinks it's a great school. Shaolin always pairs whites with higher belts when teaching techniques and he's definitely a hands-on instructor. He's always correcting the n00b mistakes that I'm making, and I've definitely improved since I've been there (about 4 months now).

I also think Louro is a great instructor, though his method is a little different from Shaolin's.

I'm not saying you're wrong or you're lying, but when was the last time you went there? I think if you attend the school now you'll share the same opinion as me.

To answer the TC's question: I train at Shaolin's so of course I'm going to recommend that, but to answer it from an unbiased point-of-view -- you can't go wrong with any of these schools.

i was there for a few months when the school first opened in early 2009. I stopped training there in may or june of 2009 so its been a really long time. Things might be different there now, i hope they are because you wont meet a nicer person than Shaolin.

By "fight club", do you mean sparring/rolling?

Are the white belts paired up, or are a dozen of you left in
a royal rumble type of "fight club"?

Where do you train currently and how do you like it?

fight club is basically wanton and reckless rolling with no direction and little to none instruction on what you are doing. It was just cardio work at that point, not bjj if that makes any sense.

I stopped not because i didnt like it but because i blew my knee out and had to stop for a few months. I went back to boxing last fall and I guess i was having too much fun boxing to grapple again. I may start again soon if time allows me.

i have trained there twice and thought the classes were very good. loro taught both the classes i took and i thought it was organized. the only thing i have to compare it to my gym, and i feel that the way it is run is comparable (warmups, technique, rolling).

the only exception is, coming free rolling time the instructor paired us up at his discretion. at my gym we switch partners on our own after each round. also i believe the classes were 1 hour long as opposed to 1.5 at my gym, but overall the experience was a positive one and more or less similar to what i have experienced at my own gym.

I train at Shaolins and I couldn't disagree more. Now I came to Shaolins as a purple belt and not from the beginning so my opinion may be different, however all our white belts have made such amazing progress on the mat and in competition (just look at the recent Long Island Pride we took first) that I think Vitor's teaching is phenomenal. He's always open to answer questions and push us on the mat. And sorry but I don't see this fight club you are referring to. If by fight club you mean live rolling, well then you will see a fight club at RGA, Alliance, MG, and any other BJJ school.

Why would we agree to that? Marcelo has always said that his game is for everyone. If you dissect his techniques, you will see that it is.

You mentioned that you want to learn more in the gi....you realize that Marcelo is arguably one of the top 10 best gi bjj practioners in history, right?

So right kying418. I'll give ISUG this ... he is correct that "ppl might not be able to ever play it as good as he <Marcelo>". That much is most definitely true :D

Just saying that if at marcelos school he teaches mostly his game and not everything he learned then u might be missing something... Example I think most people would be better at bjj if they learned in sao Paulo allaiance headquarters fabio gurgel and learn the way Marcelo learned. Supporting this is the fact that they create many top BBs, that's how Marcelo learned, thier BB have diff games yet still top BB, Marcelo game wouldn't work great againt fabio check YouTube, the BB I'm talking about w diff games are Lucas, ruban, humris, morales, and more... I personally believe in learning few games probablly what fabio gurgel and his partner in Atlanta teach. By the way what other black belts teach at marcelos?

I don't get why you're saying that you won't learn everything. Every black belt has their own game, it's why they are a black belt. At the black belt level, their scope tightens onto a certain style and gameplan. For Marcelo, it has almost always been techniques that work on any size people (taking the back and RNC, or guillotine if the opponent attempts to prevent the back-take). Maybe Vitor Shaolin loves arm-triangle/anaconda chokes. This is their personal gameplan. They will teach you some of it, and their teaching will likely be tinted by their own gameplan and what they see as their optimal jiu jitsu concepts/philosophies.

This doesn't mean that Marcelo will teach you nothing but taking the back, and that Vitor will teach you nothing but arm-triangle setups. They know how to do that really well, but they possess enough technical knowledge of other movements that they will be able to teach you other things, even if it means that it isn't part of their gameplan.

In my opinion, there comes a point where you should just visit the schools and see what general vibe you like the most.

Unless you are a high level practioner (brown, black, etc), the schools already listed in NYC will all help your game exponentially.

Check out all the schools, take some free trial classes, and see what feels most at home with you.

If you look at most high level black belt comptitors, they all have games that are slightly different than their main teachers. Once you get to a certain level, you will be tailoring your bjj game to yourself.

In the meantime, if you are a lower belt, to question training under Shaolin, Renzo's blackbelts, Marcelo, etc because you dont feel their game will suit you is similar to a middle school basketball player wondering if they should go to a Michael Jordan camp because he can't dunk a ball like Jordan could.

Agreed! Just building on what others said about Marcelo school teaching... Resulting in thinking that renzo and alliance NYC might have better teaching methds or at least more well rounded... Does anyone know if alliance NYC really follows it's cirucilum posed online, u know like the number of techniques u most know to pass a belt test?

Back