1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Film Study: Willie Pep, Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott...

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by jeff7b9, Oct 13, 2021.

1. jeff7b9 Silver Belt

Willie Pep
    Archie Moore
    Jersey Joe Walcott
    Nicolino Locche
    Pernell Whittaker
    Naseem Hamed
    Muhammad Ali
    Floyd Patterson/Mike Tyson
    George Foreman
    Ken Norton
    James Toney

What names would you add to this list?

My intent here is to find new boxers to study. All of these fighters have caught my attention, for the most part, because they had a unique element to their game which made for very interesting film study.

Willie Pep, master of footwork, very unique body movements such as the crouch from which he could pop out and practically teleport to a new location where he was prepared to attack, maybe even in southpaw stance, while his opponent was at an disadvantageous angle.

Archie Moore, beautifully exemplifies the cross guard defense and stance with his head naturally off the center line.

Nicolino Locche and Pernell Whittaker, master's of defensive elusive movement.

Jersey Joe Walcott, genius implementation of broken rhythm, feints and misdirection.

Who should I study next?

If you have links to share that would be appreciated, I have included several below.

Ideally fighters who bring something very unique or different. I love and appreciate the guys who are successful by following the fundamental approach, but the innovators are what really pique my interest.

Southpaws and switch hitters would be good.

I really like fighters that implement shift and dart attacks. I find myself drawn particularly to the "old school" "lost art" type of fighters that used techniques and styles we don't see today.

Uncommon stances and styles would be lovely.

A few requests:

Switch hitters
    Swarmers
    In fighters
    Technical brawlers
    *Anyone who fought primarily Dominant Hand Forward

Cheers fellas.

Stuff like this:

https://youtu.be/IKfoBlhrCZw

https://youtu.be/n77KOSMU098

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    RichardHarrow likes this.
  2. FierceRedBelt Silver Belt

You're studying guys who brought some very unique gifts to the ring and got away with a lot of stuff because of it. Might as well add Julian Jackson, Roy Jones, and Manny Pacquiao to your list.

Marco Barrera is a good dude to learn from.

Ray Leonard was extremely technically sound even with all his gifts. Hell watch all of his fights, Hagler's, Hearn's and Duran's.

Margarito put on master classes of wearing men down.

smooth assassin likes this.
  3. jeff7b9 Silver Belt

4. jeff7b9 Silver Belt

Here's something you don't see every day, and will never see again....a 10-2 round.

Mongoose likes this.
  5. deucesarewild Purple Belt

I like Alexis Arguello and Salvador Sanchez for their technical ability and composure.

6. jeff7b9 Silver Belt

You are spot on with my taste. I have seen all the fights between the fab four and watched the documentary on them by "Rummy's Corner" a handful of times. Great video by a great channel. If you haven't seen it I would imagine any fan of those fighters would likely enjoy it.

Julian Jackson has been on my list of guys to delve into, perhaps it is time.

7. deucesarewild Purple Belt

I'm a big Dempsey fan.

People who don't know will often denigrate him, but he was widely regarded as the guy who brought substance and technique to the pressure fighter's game. Yes, he could get carried away, but he also could fight cleverly on the inside, had an expansive punch selection and could generate power from any distance.

If he was learning today, with the benefit that all fighters have today, which is 100 more years of strength and conditioning, diet, and ringcraft development, I'm very certain he would be a champion. If not at HW, then certainly at LW or CW champion. As a rising contender he was literally half-starved because he didn't have the money, and on the way up, it was even worse and he would ride underneath trian cars to get to towns for fights.

He's a bad ass and would be a killer in any generation (though today, most money fighters would avoid him like the plague). I don't care what anybody says, Jack Dempsey is an all time great which means he would be great in any era.

jeff7b9 and PHATV like this.
  8. LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

You can probably find a better video but I'd add Julio Cesar Chavez to the list.

https://youtu.be/Z5B_tIYJXZg

9. smooth assassin Black Belt

Julian Jackson had some serious power, he knocked guys dead

jeff7b9 likes this.
  10. PHATV Boss Belt Platinum Member

The first 1:30 or so is from 2019 about the statue which interestingly was just unveiled/placed, I believe. Very recently. Weeks, I think. Or they broke ground for it, was just on the news. Anyway, I haven't been down to see it, but will soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezzard_Charles

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  11. zapataxiv Silver Belt

southies
    Jose Legra the pocket Cassius clay. super slick with good power fought some amazing fights during his career
    Vincente Saldivar considered by many to be one of the greatest Southwest lace em up
    Hozumi Hasegawa a super fast southie with real good power. he stayed in the game a bit too long for his own good so some people remember him for his losses and not his best times

George Benton one of the slickest, aggressive (movement at least) Philly boxers. could stand in front of you and not get hit.

Dwight Qawi fought as high as heavy despite being 5'5. he was a real good lead hand down boxer with great power and sense of distance and timing his clowning of the lesser Spinks is legendary.

almost forgot
    Eusebio Pedraza super underrated fighter. he was as slick as they come but he was talented in the he clinch and could play dirty. his whopping of Olivares is pretty impressive in up close fighting and out muscling dudes

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    kenji goh, jeff7b9 and LangfordBarrow like this.
  12. jeff7b9 Silver Belt

In a YouTube video, Holyfield was asked who hit him the hardest.

Despite having faced Foreman, Tyson 2x, Lennox 2x, Bowe 3x, Rahman, Larry Holmes, absolute murderers row of heavy hitting heavyweights including many who were 6'4-6'5 and 250+ lbs... And only being stopped 2x in 57 pro fights ...

Holyfield said 5'5 Dwight Qawi hit him the hardest.

13. zapataxiv Silver Belt

I assuming you have already deep dived on Hagler
    But he is probably the perfect southpaw switch hitter that boxes with a dominant hand forward on occasion.
    If so have you checked out bennie briscoe there is far more to him than just a win on Haglers resume.

LangfordBarrow likes this.
  14. GeneTunney7 Green Belt

You should do one on Sherdog's own, @Tim Witherspoon

He had that beautiful cross-armed defense and lots of other crafty elements to his game.

15. Seano Hands of bone

Not sure they used the 10 point must system then.

16. zumbulare White Belt

How about Dimitry Pirog, there is not much about him out there. He is Russian, not typical Russian deep amateur resume and and his style is mixture of shoulder roll and russian boxing style. He does great job shifting punches and switching stances.

17. jeff7b9 Silver Belt

And the refs obviously weren't needed.

But 7 knockdowns in one round. Crazy.

I love watching the old tapes where they can assault the guy as soon as he gets up.
    There is something primal about it.

Jess Willard was actually using a unified rules MMA trick and keeping his hands on the mat to make himself a "downed opponent" and buy himself and extra second or two before the next ass kicking commenced.

18. jeff7b9 Silver Belt

Yeah, I love Marvin Hagler. I love everything about his boxing style, his attitude, his extreme dedication to conditioning and the craft of boxing.

He was crafty as hell. And really used a full pallette of techniques. His in fighting is beautiful, so grinding and physical but yet technical and defensively responsible.

I love they way he used stance switching to cut off angles in the ring.

zapataxiv likes this.
  19. jeff7b9 Silver Belt

Im gonna have to do that.

I posted in his "ask me questions" thread, hoping I can get him to talk about the way he mixes Philly Shell, Cross Guard and High Guard.

I noticed he goes really seemlesly between those tactics and I have to imagine that was confusing as hell for his opponents as the targets would be constantly changing. He mentioned "lost art" and alluded to being knowledgeable on old school techniques and strategy. I subbed to his YouTube channel so hopefully he puts some instructional and strategic content on there.