filling heavy bag yourself

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
please dont link me to all the DIY instructional videos online, this questioned is aimed at anyone that may have first hand experience hitting bags filled with such materials

Outside of filling with padding/rags etc. what other materials have you used?

I have heard of people filling with sand, but never used a sandbag myself, and have heard they are like cement. never hit a sandbag myself

I have heard of using shredded rubber but never hit one myself

i have heard of filling with dirt, never hit one myself

hear of sawdust, never hit one myself

I think the sandbag would be too hard for everyday use(outside of conditioning), what about the other materials?

To add to what is already showing the promise of being a nice poem:

I have heard of people filling bags with rubber mulch, never hit one myself.

The sandbag's purpose in a heavy bag should be to add weight, not to actually be the part that one strikes.

The way that this is achieved is to fill with rags, make space in the middle of the bag (a sort of well) and tamp down, ensuring that the sandbags live in the center of the bag. Another method I've heard of is using a bag length pvc pipe, fill around the pvc pipe with rags / cut up clothes, and then fill the pvc pipe with some small sandbags.

yeah my decription of what i am asking in this thread wasnt very clear.

obviously sand is too hard

I was wondering if anyone has any personal exp with the other materials i mentioned, and what their thoughts were regarding the density/hardness of the bag.

I have used shredded insulation (home depot) mixed with shredded clothes. Worked nicely but found the bag to be a bit too springy for kicks.

Shredded clothes are the best, but the pieces should not be too small. In the 4-5 bags I have filled, I found pieces the size of a t-shirt works best.

To add weight you just put a poster tube or PVC pipe filled with sand in the middle and pack shredded clothes around it.

reason i was asking all this is i was debating on buying a filled vs unfilled bag. found a filled one off craigslist, twins heavy bag, so problem solved!

i have added plastic grocery bags for volume. stuffing them one by one down the sides of an already full bag. the goal was to keep the bag "full" at the top half, where bags often become deflated.

this was in addition to the "normal" fill of shredded rags and sand bags found in many factory bags.

well the goodnews is i bought a bag already filled so i can byspass this step!

Hitting a sand filled heavy bag is fucking brutal. No recommend.

Use rolled up carpet foam, and then fill in the middle with sand.

Anymore tips looking to fill a 5ft bag I assume some sand is needed as well as the cloth filling I am undecided between a sandbag at the bottom or a pipe some of the length or maybe both....also how much weight of sand is needed like 10kg or more??

Anymore tips looking to fill a 5ft bag I assume some sand is needed as well as the cloth filling I am undecided between a sandbag at the bottom or a pipe some of the length or maybe both....also how much weight of sand is needed like 10kg or more??

I use only old clothes for mine and i managed to get it over 100lb. Its a 5feet x 15"

The first bag I did, I used a pipe filled with sand in the middle. Compacted 6" of clothed at the bottom. Placed the pipe and cmpressed clothes around it. You can use a poster tube as well. Just make sure you put duct tape around it so it wont break.

Sand is way too heavy and way too hard.
Rubber is way too heavy, too hard and rebounds impact back into your fist instead of absorbing it.
Two terrible terrible things to put in a heavy bag.

Shredded clothes/fabric is used because it is just right when it comes to weight, the rigidity of the bag can be adjusted by cramming in more fabric mulch. And even a densely filled one will be much much softer than rubber or sand.
Importantly it will absorb impact so you can hit it hard as possible without injury.

What about a double layer of carpet padding and rubber mulch in the middle?

the old G and E response would have been ' dead hobos'

I am disappoint.

Back