Filipino Martial Art Schools in NYC

Fight Whisperer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, can anyone recommend a good Filipino Martial Art school in NYC?

I like what the Dog Brothers do, it seems pretty hardcore and practical. I am probably going to regret saying this, but does anyone know of a place that trains similar to them in NYC? As in, practical and geared towards actually using the techniques and weapons in fighting.

I don't know of any Dog Brothers Affiliated schools, but I assume there has to be a place that teaches good practical fighting applications and live sparring with weapons.

Ideally, I would like to find a MMA gym that also offers some form of weapons fighting. But it seems hard to find something like that.

I know that there's 5 Points, which I cannot afford at this point. I also know there's Anderson's Martial Arts. But I am starting to hear a few shady things about that place, and I can't exactly afford that school either at this point.

Nonetheless, can anyone recommend a good FMA place in NYC? And can anyone offer any insight or comment on Anderson's Martial Arts? I am still going to strongly consider that place, since it seems they offer everything that I am looking for.

Thanks so much guys.

I like what the Dog Brothers do, it seems pretty hardcore and practical. I am probably going to regret saying this, but does anyone know of a place that trains similar to them in NYC? As in, practical and geared towards actually using the techniques and weapons in fighting.

I don't know of any Dog Brothers Affiliated schools, but I assume there has to be a place that teaches good practical fighting applications and live sparring with weapons.

Ideally, I would like to find a MMA gym that also offers some form of weapons fighting. But it seems hard to find something like that.

I know that there's 5 Points, which I cannot afford at this point. I also know there's Anderson's Martial Arts. But I am starting to hear a few shady things about that place, and I can't exactly afford that school either at this point.

Nonetheless, can anyone recommend a good FMA place in NYC? And can anyone offer any insight or comment on Anderson's Martial Arts? I am still going to strongly consider that place, since it seems they offer everything that I am looking for.

Thanks so much guys.

Try Pekiti Tirsia Kali NYC....it is a good style......blade style

Thanks so much guys.

I just recommended someone in the stand-up technique section about a top notch instructor Ive been to before and have recommended everyone since.

Home Page (Henry Ly)

He's certified under Paul Vunak and hes come out of top notch instructors like Inosanto, Balicki, Sayoc etc.

Drop him an e-mail if your still looking for an instructor or school.

Honestly, i have heard alots of bad things about Andersons, mostly shady.

Nice . . . was just going to make a thread about the same exact thing.

TS let me know if you find a good place. I've been looking as well but Google turns up some shady results.

Thanks so much guys.

Try this Mike Popolizio - Pekiti Tirsia, Ju-Jitsu

NYC Pekiti Tirsia

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry about not posting any updates sooner.

I'm still looking around. I've checked out Five Points, which is an awesome gym. I only got a chance to catch a little glimpse of the Kali classes there. The main focus of Five Points is the Muay Thai, they also have judo classes, and I was told by the head Judo instructor/co-owner that they also have some no-gi BJJ. Odd thing about the place, was that they are not at all interested in expanding their program to include any sort of MMA program or way of teaching their students to combine the arts that they provide. Seemed a bit strange to me since they seem fairly geared to offer MMA training. I don't quite understand why they wouldn't want to capitalize on the MMA boom from a business standpoint. I think the guy I was speaking to seemed to be implying that sometimes offering that sort of training can attract meatheads and tuffies and people who train in MMA generally get injured too easily and overall it might hurt their business. Basically what I got out of that conversation that they won't be having any sort of MMA program nor is he or any of other owners/coaches at all interested in including it in the future.

I also checked out NY Jiu Jitsu, nice facilities (they have a cage and a class dedicated to cage work, which is interesting). I only got to try out an MMA striking class (they only allow you to try out 1 class) which wasn't too bad, watch the Muay Thai class, and watch the cage work class (which looked interesting and absolutely grueling). Unfortunately, I guess I showed up on a day where they didn't have the Pekiti Tirsia Kali class, so I barely found out anything about that. Nevertheless I am still strongly considering joining at this point (still quite a few gyms in the city to check out, unfortunately not very many that also offer Filipino Martial Arts or weapons classes along with stand-up striking, grappling, wrestling, and MMA). I'll probably see if I can stop by again to watch their Pekiti Tirsia Class.

I also plan on checking out Chok Sabai Gym (I found out that it is basically the sister school to Five Points, one of their coaches branched out and started her own gym). Unfortunately, I noticed on the schedule that they don't offer their "Street Kali" classes on the same days that they also offer their Jiu Jitsu classes. I'm curious particularly about those two classes. So I'll see if I can stop by more than once to watch the Jiu Jitsu class as well as the Street Kali.

Regarding Andersons, yeah I've heard and read shady things about the place. Although actual people I have talked to who were involved with his Academy, who didn't have only great things to say, were there years ago. So it's possible that things have changed. On paper it looks like it is my top choice at this point. I visited the school a few days ago. Everyone was really nice and it was a very nice facility. They also seemed very open to having visitors, they even encouraged me to come by more than once, pretty much anytime if I just wanted to watch and observe some classes. I plan on visiting again to check out more classes and take the free private they are offering, as I was only able to watch the BJJ class when I was there. The guys credentials are pretty impressive, almost to the point of being too good to be true (quite a few instructor and master level certifications in the JKD community and Filipino Martial Arts, I remember hearing that he has Ajarn level status in Muay Thai from someone, instructor level in shooto, Black Belt under Vitor Shaolin Ribeiro, he's trained with Eric Paulson, I think he also has some sort of connection to Sean Sherk etc.) One of the staff members I spoke to at the academy also mentioned that they are planning on expanding their school soon to occupy two floors, they plan on taking over the floor above to add a cage and some more cardio equipment as well as a lounge. They were also pretty honest about their 1 year contract, it's not strict at all just let them know ahead of time when you have to stop attending classes, as opposed to some of the other schools I've checked out where they require you to provide evidence that you have moved away from the city and therefore cannot continue to train. Right now, this seems to be one of my top choices along with NY Jiu Jitsu.

I'm going to do more research and looking around, but right now those two schools are the ones that I am most likely to join at this point.

Arkitekt, thanks for the links to those schools. I didn't even know they existed. Woodhaven seems a bit far for me, also the site seems a bit unclear about their classes (no class schedule) and programs (are these programs listed on the site like on-going clinics or can you actually join the school to take classes?). Jersey City is do-able since I live within reasonable distance from a Path Train, unfortunately i guess they do not offer any MMA or dedicated stand up striking and grappling classes.

MMAWarfare, thanks for that input. But I am more interested in joining a school with a permanent physical location with other students and training partners. Also, I'd rather do group classes at a training facility than privates (I most likely wouldn't be able to afford them on a regular basis anyway). The shady stuff I've heard about Anderson's is basically the only thing that is making be feel discouraged about joining at this point.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll let everyone know how it goes at Anderson's when I stop by a few more times and try out the private. I'll also be sure to let everyone know how Chok Sabai is.

Sorry for reviving a dead thread but are there good Escrima or Krabi Krabong schools in NYc (5 boroughs) who practice the arts full-contact and apply their techniques similar to the Dog Brothers' ways? Progressive Martial Arts in Queens claims to be an affiliate to the DBMA but the official site does not list them (they also only teach Escrima twice a week).

Back