Figuring out Bench Max

amandakissnhug

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've never maxed out on the bench. I'm curious to know my max though. Does anyone know how to figure out the max without actually having to do it? Is there a special formula?
I'm 190lbs. and I can bench 235lbs 8 times at least.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

there are calculators (like the above) but the best way is to get under the bar and do it. why? because thats the only way to know for sure. me, i can do more than a calculator says i should i.e. i can only rep 185x6 but i can bench 245.

so get under the bar and do it.

Why don't you just work up to a 1 rep max? Those formulas aren't accurate.

Why do people not want to do the bench press max? It isn't very satisfying just sitting on your computer and typing in numbers. Just give it a shot.

amandakissnhug said:
I've never maxed out on the bench. I'm curious to know my max though. Does anyone know how to figure out the max without actually having to do it? Is there a special formula?
I'm 190lbs. and I can bench 235lbs 8 times at least.

Yo, thats a great bench then.

Brand Nizzle said:
Yo, thats a great bench then.

You'd be surprised at how much weight people on the internet can push around compared to the gym. Numbers seem to get inflated in the conversion from gym to keyboard.

Aaron Howard said:
You'd be surprised at how much weight people on the internet can push around compared to the gym. Numbers seem to get inflated in the conversion from gym to keyboard.

On top of that, high rep of a certain weight doesn't mean super high weight at max. Different kinds of strength. I can do 16@225 but I doubt I could max much over 315. 1 rep calculators are just a novelty really.

Ted-P said:
Get a damn spotter first..
Smart move. LOL. I mean..
lolsroyce.gif

Weight X Reps X .03 + Weight = Bench max

Pretty accurate with reps from 3-12. With 235 for 8 reps, according to this formula, your max is about 290. And it probably is, give or take 10 lbs. or so.

I have a better formula, Bench + bar + spotter + weights = bench max.

Urban said:
I have a better formula, Bench + bar + spotter + weights = bench max.

You're the wrong one to be closed-minded about this. There are perfectly good reasons to have a formula to calculate current max. When I'm training to compete (have you done this?) I have a very regimented schedule to lift by, and it often doesn't include maxing until late in the cycle. However, I do need to know where I'm at, and the max formula is the tool that I use.

Your "Just Do It" philosophy is nice and all, just apply it to where it's needed, and lay off when it's not.

Aaron Howard said:
Dude, my numbers are truthful and accurate. I understand that you may doubt me, but I can assure you that I don't need to impress anyone on this forum since I don't know you guys. I've been lifting for 7 years at this point. I'm 28 years old. 235lbs 8x is a lot, but when you consider my age and the number of years I've been lifting, I don't think that is all that amazing.

Cmart said:
You're the wrong one to be closed-minded about this. There are perfectly good reasons to have a formula to calculate current max. When I'm training to compete (have you done this?) I have a very regimented schedule to lift by, and it often doesn't include maxing until late in the cycle. However, I do need to know where I'm at, and the max formula is the tool that I use.

Your "Just Do It" philosophy is nice and all, just apply it to where it's needed, and lay off when it's not.
no there ARE reasons to avoid maxing, but if you want to know your max there's one iron clad way to get it. None of your perfectly good reasons (and yes several do exist) have been stated in here, and thus my method is no better or worse than yours. What concerns me is how many people come through here wanting a way to get that number without actually finding it (threads like I can do x weight for y reps over z sets, how strong am I?). then somebody gives them a formula and they think that's it, that's their max, and they go around telling people that number they came up with. It fucks things up for people who actually get under the bar and want reliable, first hand numbers (like in the sherdog's strongest man thread).

All in all, you are right, and your formula does have merit. I personally am benefiting more from just moving something progressively heavier until I can't.

Urban said:
no there ARE reasons to avoid maxing, but if you want to know your max there's one iron clad way to get it. None of your perfectly good reasons (and yes several do exist) have been stated in here, and thus my method is no better or worse than yours. What concerns me is how many people come through here wanting a way to get that number without actually finding it (threads like I can do x weight for y reps over z sets, how strong am I?). then somebody gives them a formula and they think that's it, that's their max, and they go around telling people that number they came up with. It fucks things up for people who actually get under the bar and want reliable, first hand numbers (like in the sherdog's strongest man thread).

All in all, you are right, and your formula does have merit. I personally am benefiting more from just moving something progressively heavier until I can't.
I know what you are saying. I don't know why I've never maxed out. If I ever do low reps on the bench it is 3-4 reps at the lowest. You are right that I should just say fuck it and just max out one day, but for what ever reason I haven't.

amandakissnhug said:
I know what you are saying. I don't know why I've never maxed out. If I ever do low reps on the bench it is 3-4 reps at the lowest. You are right that I should just say fuck it and just max out one day, but for what ever reason I haven't.

Go max out. The formula works OK but it is no substitute for the real thing, especially if you have no baseline to go by.

Cmart said:

Progressive overload??? About as outdated as the formulas used to calculate a max. One of the main reasons progressive overload has failed is the inaccuracy of the said formulas. You think you're at a certain percent of your max when in reality you're not and you don't realize this because your handy little formula misinformed you (but you don't know this) so your whole training cycle is off and you're either undertaining and don't receive good results or you're overtraining and hurt yourself.

wasptrash said:
Progressive overload??? About as outdated as the formulas used to calculate a max. One of the main reasons progressive overload has failed is the inaccuracy of the said formulas. You think you're at a certain percent of your max when in reality you're not and you don't realize this because your handy little formula misinformed you (but you don't know this) so your whole training cycle is off and you're either undertaining and don't receive good results or you're overtraining and hurt yourself.

No, not progressive overload.

I've won several competitions using this formula as a training aid. It allows me to do my workout (see the stickies) without having to do a max to know where I am. Do what you like but my results are what speak loudest to me.

Back