figure 4 bodylock defense

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by FStep, Aug 9, 2005.

1. FStep

FStep Brown Belt

whats a good defense against this move if one of your hands is dedicated to stopping the rnc

2. mmahamzah

mmahamzah Sheeeeit

ive never seen the figure 4 before can someone show me?

3. TrueHeart

TrueHeart White Belt

I think this is the triangle body lock, suprisingly (and incorrectly i belive) often called the figure 4 body lock. See Ivan Salaverry vs. Tony Fryklund in UFC 50. I have nver gotten caught in it, so i don't know how to defend it... sorry. The post fight interview lady (something kesam or whatever) asked him lots of times about the "figure 4" and he didn't understand anything until somebody told her to ask him about a "tringle body lock"

4. mcbadboy170

mcbadboy170 Orange Belt

Try to get his top leg between your legs the figure 4 your own legs and stretch out. It will apply alot of pressure on his knee allowing you to tap him or at least get out of this position. Be sure to protect your neck when doing this. Other wise you'll be out before you can apply the lock

This defense comes from Royler's book on No-Gi grappling.

5. ArTofF16hT1ng

ArTofF16hT1ng Bånned Banned

6. Stoic1

Stoic1 Patriot

Rumino Sato is big on the fig4 from the back. I haven't seen anyone escape his either.

Regardless the concept for escaping should be the same as regular back control. Try to put your back flat on the mat by 'scraping' him off. Let him take mount if you need. Better than him having your back.

7. colinm

colinm Brown Belt

^^you can do the same thing to them by putting their free foot behind your knee (same side, i.e. his right foot is behind his left knee, put his left foot behind your left knee) and extending your body.

the only thing is that a shorter guy will not be able to do this to a much taller guy. you just dont have the length to really crank the pressure on.

edit: referring to the first escape

8. TrueHeart

TrueHeart White Belt

Takumi Nakayama escaped in it in his match against Sato on Shooto Treasure Hunt 11, but yeah, his is a tight bodylock.

9. ahab

ahab Eater of small villages.

Use your elbow that is near where his legs cross to force his top knee out.

Take your elbow that is near where his legs cross, put the inside of your elbow on the top of his foot, then put your wrist behind the heel of that foot, Force your wrist forward and you have an ankle lock. I've had this attempted on me, the lock was never successful, but did make me break the body triangle.

10. Foolkiller

Foolkiller You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

Part of the only one holistic system of systems
    Hook his overhanging foot under the back of your knee, bring your calf to the underside of his thigh to trap it, turn your body so your are facing the knee securing the figure four (the one with his foot/ankle under his own knee). Now lean back a little to pin his other knee to the floor under your back, then push the knee your are facing. It will either break the triangle or break his ankle. Also if you turn your hips and pin the knee properly, he should be out of position to secure the choke anyway. Then just turn into his guard.