FIGHTWORLD featuring Muay Thai and Lethwei is now on Netflix

• Thread starter Deleted member 363827
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 363827

Frank Grillo is the host and narrator. Overall, pretty good show and one of very few that features Lethwei.

Interesting to see that Lethwei is using the same tactics as muay thai in 1970s to promote the sport, by inviting foreign fighters to fight under Lethwei rule set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be able to coax the wife into watching this with me under the guise of "hey, it's Netflix!".

Looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up.

I was just about to post this. This is the first I’ve heard of Lethwei and Idk why it isn’t more popular. It’s basically a better version of Muay Thai- minimal padding on the hands and headbutts are allowed. The UFC needs to follow suit and LEGALIZE HEADBUTTS

Didn't the Lethwei lot wanted all the Kick Boxing styles like Muay Thai and Pradel Serey and itself to unify the styles and be one sport but the Thai's said no ?

I was just about to post this. This is the first I’ve heard of Lethwei and Idk why it isn’t more popular. It’s basically a better version of Muay Thai- minimal padding on the hands and headbutts are allowed. The UFC needs to follow suit and LEGALIZE HEADBUTTS
They did. Mark Kerr used to wreck guys with them. It's illegal now and no sanctioning body would ever allow them nor would they need to. The sport has moved on.

It's only better if you're this guy:
<{JustBleed}>

Nice, finally a new fight series to get on.

Just watched the Muay Thai episode, enjoyable watch. I can already predict some people on here going mad because of the things said in it about Buakaw :)

They did. Mark Kerr used to wreck guys with them. It's illegal now and no sanctioning body would ever allow them nor would they need to. The sport has moved on.

It's only better if you're this guy:
<{JustBleed}>

Why do you think it’s better without headbutts?

It was gaining popularity fast when the Lekha Moun channel was pumping out constant content. It had more subscriptions than Muay Thai Daily. It lost its steam but on the bright side now they do international Lethwei in Japan and the events are pretty awesome.

Because fighters can actually make good money with the sport being mainstream where headbutts would never fly.

It's all about the flying headbutt.

hPd4wwJ.gif

Watched both. Not bad at all.

Nice to see Lethwei having some exposure.

holy shit, that was some brutal words from the corner of the boy who lost the fight
fuck

Cannot believe people have not heard of lethwei AND think it will gain popularity, no judges only ko wins with small gloves and headbutts allowed... No one is going to sanction this type of fighting that’s why it it will never progress as awesome as it to watch. Hope someone can post some of the classic fights people have not seen if they have time to do so.
Also some epic wars in Cambodia too a lot of people haven’t seen, of course Thailand rules no doubt about it. Watched the Thailand episode, most of it was a bore because I worked at a Muay Thai gym for 3 years but rob coxx gave it some life. They talked up buakaw so much but he did not understand the question “who was your toughest fight” he thought they were asking who he thought was the best fighter (of his generation) he says Saenchai 555

Why do you think boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai and mma don’t allow headbutts?

As a former pro wrestling fan, have you heard the story about Shibata of New Japan Pro Wrestling, and what happened to him after a shoot headbutt? From Wiki-

On April 9 at Sakura Genesis 2017, Shibata was defeated by Okada in the IWGP Heavyweight Championship match.[81] Following the match, Shibata collapsed backstage and was rushed to a hospital, where it was discovered that he had a subdural hematoma, which required emergency surgery.[82] Shibata's injury was similar to what killed mixed martial artist Tim Hague a couple of months later.[83] The injury, caused by a stiff headbutt combined with dehydration, caused Shibata to also experience some paralysis on his right side. On April 13, Dave Meltzer reported that it was believed that Shibata would never be cleared to wrestle again.[84] It was later reported that while Shibata was "probably" never going to wrestle again, NJPW were looking to sign him full-time as a coach.

As a former pro wrestling fan, have you heard the story about Shibata of New Japan Pro Wrestling, and what happened to him after a shoot headbutt? From Wiki-

On April 9 at Sakura Genesis 2017, Shibata was defeated by Okada in the IWGP Heavyweight Championship match.[81] Following the match, Shibata collapsed backstage and was rushed to a hospital, where it was discovered that he had a subdural hematoma, which required emergency surgery.[82] Shibata's injury was similar to what killed mixed martial artist Tim Hague a couple of months later.[83] The injury, caused by a stiff headbutt combined with dehydration, caused Shibata to also experience some paralysis on his right side. On April 13, Dave Meltzer reported that it was believed that Shibata would never be cleared to wrestle again.[84] It was later reported that while Shibata was "probably" never going to wrestle again, NJPW were looking to sign him full-time as a coach.

Never heard that story not a pro wrestling fan but that’s one of the many glaringly obvious reasons including lacerations and the brutality that would be percieved by many spectators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back