Fights you’re embarrassed to say you haven’t watched

Corrado Soprano

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
As Boxing fans we watch a ton of fights, just curious if there’s any big fights you’re embarrassed to admit you haven’t seen.

I haven’t fully watched:

Ali vs Frazier 1, 2, 3
Leonard vs Duran 1
Holyfield vs Bowe
Chavez vs Taylor

Ali vs Frazier 1, 2, 3
Chacon vs Limon 4
Ward vs Gatti 2,3
Pacquiao vs Morales 2
Ali vs Foreman
Leonard vs Hagler

Never watched a fight.
I get all I need from the boxscore in the Newspaper the next morning.

As Boxing fans we watch a ton of fights, just curious if there’s any big fights you’re embarrassed to admit you haven’t seen.

I haven’t fully watched:

Ali vs Frazier 1, 2, 3
Leonard vs Duran 1
Holyfield vs Bowe
Chavez vs Taylor
Watched all those at least 3 times each and probably at least 7 times for each ali frazier fight.

Watched all those at least 3 times each and probably at least 7 times for each ali frazier fight.
Im gonna make a thread asking this but i was going thru Princes albums and he had i think 39.
Whats your 5 favorites.

I have only Ever seen highlights of the Ali vs Frazier fights and his one with foreman. Coincidentally I recorded them last week off the telebox. I’ll be watching them this week.

Both kovalev vs ward fights. Respect ward but never a big fan of his style

either Leonard vs Duran fight

Don’t want to get into an argument but I always found the ward-gatti trilogy very overrated. With HBO doing that while black and white intro bullshit.

Im gonna make a thread asking this but i was going thru Princes albums and he had i think 39.
Whats your 5 favorites.
I was playing my ipod yesterday and went to the prince section, he had about 800 songs on their, about a tenth of my entire music collection, the man was amazing. And that's not counting the other couple thousand songs he had locked away and the movies he made and all the live footage that he'd recorded over 35 years.

1. 1999-His best album, with his best and quintessential "Minneapolis Sound". Had the best song ever recorded, Little Red Corvette and was his first real step into superstar territory.
2. Purple Rain- Not as good as 1999, still had the quirkiness though and was of course linked to the movie. Some have called this his guitar god album, purple rain, lets go crazy were part gospel, part metal and part MOR. When Doves Cry was the breakout hit, I think it was no. 1 for like a month or something crazy. The lyrical content hearkened back to his first hit "i Wanna Be Your Lover" with it's theme of familial orientations and how they play a part in romantic relationships. Over the years I've seen that song as one of his most honest though at the time, it sounded like he was just doing a bit of mythmaking, which he was.
3. Sign o' The Times- The genius who rebuked superstardom and instead locked himself in a studio for hours on end and did whatever he wanted, some have claimed this was his best album and it may have been, it's just not my favorite.
4. Parade- After the dissapointing sales of Around The World In a Day, you'd think Prince might have went back to a funkier sound, but no, he starts working with a classical arranger and affecting Parisian/Euro themes. But with, Kiss and anotherloverholinyohead, he was still plenty funky. Many fans were really losing their patience with him by this point but the funk was their, you just had to work for it, the funk was all over the album. The movie? Of course it was an embarrassing flop, but the album is another that some say was his best.
5. Prince- Self titled, second album. The first album was near perfectly produced but the songs were nowhere near what they are on his second album, The recurring themes of Familial/romantic relations starts here as well as hints of the minneapolis sound. The single, "i wanna be your lover" sounds less princelike and more beegees in hindsight but for my money, it really is one of his strongest albums because the songs are just that strong. Chaka Khan would have a hit with "I feel for you" a few years later and the prince fanbase would always recognize "Bambi" when he'd play it decades later.

These are 5, didn't mention Dirty mind which many would put at number one, in the eighties, Prince had about the greatest run of any major artist in rock history. Prince was Prince, some have said he lost it after a certain point but even when he was putting out albums that didn't make a splash, I was listening and I was still saying, that "i'd rather hear a new Prince album than a new album by any other artist". He didn't put out any bad albums, I like them all, his standards and work ethic never really wavered. (many would disagree with this) And even in the years where his health was failing, he stopped putting out his customary album per year between about 2011 and 2014, so what does he do? He comes out with four right before he goes on to join the immortals. No one like him.

I have only Ever seen highlights of the Ali vs Frazier fights and his one with foreman. Coincidentally I recorded them last week off the telebox. I’ll be watching them this week.

Both kovalev vs ward fights. Respect ward but never a big fan of his style

either Leonard vs Duran fight
Ali Frazier one is still one of the most incredible fights I've ever seen. Neither guy was really ever the same after it. The second frazier fight was ali at least in the best condition we would see him in if nothing else, he danced and moved every round. Guys like Teddy Brenner claimed joe was robbed, I claim Teddy Brenner was blind. The third one, I've never liked quite as much as everyone else. Ali came in at 224, out of shape, overconfident, Joe did his thing but both men were already diminished and this fight really ended both. The foreman fight was a master psychological job by the best ring general in boxing history.

Last edited:
First off this is legit a great thread. Original which is rare since so many threads have been made shout out to OP.

There's several fights I'm kinda embarrassed to admit not seeing.

I haven't seen the second Ali/Frazier fight, only 1 and 3. I feel like as a boxing fan I need to see the second to fill out the trilogy. Btw Idc what anyone says, I love Ali more than most fighters ever, but he got his ass whooped in the first Frazier fight.

I've only seen hl's of the Dempsey/Tunney fights which bothers me. I need to watch them in full.

I need to watch more Duran fights, I've seen plenty of the other 3 Kings but I'm lacking a bit on Duran.

I've never seen a Harry Greb fight either which makes me feel like rookie. ;)

As far as fights I haven't seen, there'd be plenty, many by Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, Dempsey, many fights from the sixties when boxing was having troubles in popularity and guys like Niccolino Noche had to fight under the radar. But, for any of us, there are no excuses anymore. It used to be that we only saw highlights but now we can see everything ever filmed just about. Only resource needed is time. I'd like to watch more of the old timers, Joe Louis, Dempsey, even more Sugar Ray Robinson even though I've probably watched more of him than just about any of the old timers. Then we have Jersey Joe Walcott, Willie Pep and Ezzard Charles. If more of the younger fans would watch some of the older guys, they would understand why older fans deride todays fighters and they'd also see that they were being sold a bill of goods with many of todays fighters.

What the fuck?

A boxing fan who hasn't seen that rivalry is like a Tarantino fan who never saw Pulp Fiction
I am watching and like all Tarantino movies but Ward is not even close his level, he is more Japanese movie level

Chavez/Rosario
Chavez/ODLH 1
Tyson/Ruddock 2
Essentially all of Eubank Sr.'s fights other than Calzaghe, bits of Benn 1, and the first Collins fight

I was playing my ipod yesterday and went to the prince section, he had about 800 songs on their, about a tenth of my entire music collection, the man was amazing. And that's not counting the other couple thousand songs he had locked away and the movies he made and all the live footage that he'd recorded over 35 years.

1. 1999-His best album, with his best and quintessential "Minneapolis Sound". Had the best song ever recorded, Little Red Corvette and was his first real step into superstar territory.
2. Purple Rain- Not as good as 1999, still had the quirkiness though and was of course linked to the movie. Some have called this his guitar god album, purple rain, lets go crazy were part gospel, part metal and part MOR. When Doves Cry was the breakout hit, I think it was no. 1 for like a month or something crazy. The lyrical content hearkened back to his first hit "i Wanna Be Your Lover" with it's theme of familial orientations and how they play a part in romantic relationships. Over the years I've seen that song as one of his most honest though at the time, it sounded like he was just doing a bit of mythmaking, which he was.
3. Sign o' The Times- The genius who rebuked superstardom and instead locked himself in a studio for hours on end and did whatever he wanted, some have claimed this was his best album and it may have been, it's just not my favorite.
4. Parade- After the dissapointing sales of Around The World In a Day, you'd think Prince might have went back to a funkier sound, but no, he starts working with a classical arranger and affecting Parisian/Euro themes. But with, Kiss and anotherloverholinyohead, he was still plenty funky. Many fans were really losing their patience with him by this point but the funk was their, you just had to work for it, the funk was all over the album. The movie? Of course it was an embarrassing flop, but the album is another that some say was his best.
5. Prince- Self titled, second album. The first album was near perfectly produced but the songs were nowhere near what they are on his second album, The recurring themes of Familial/romantic relations starts here as well as hints of the minneapolis sound. The single, "i wanna be your lover" sounds less princelike and more beegees in hindsight but for my money, it really is one of his strongest albums because the songs are just that strong. Chaka Khan would have a hit with "I feel for you" a few years later and the prince fanbase would always recognize "Bambi" when he'd play it decades later.

These are 5, didn't mention Dirty mind which many would put at number one, in the eighties, Prince had about the greatest run of any major artist in rock history. Prince was Prince, some have said he lost it after a certain point but even when he was putting out albums that didn't make a splash, I was listening and I was still saying, that "i'd rather hear a new Prince album than a new album by any other artist". He didn't put out any bad albums, I like them all, his standards and work ethic never really wavered. (many would disagree with this) And even in the years where his health was failing, he stopped putting out his customary album per year between about 2011 and 2014, so what does he do? He comes out with four right before he goes on to join the immortals. No one like him.
I liked the 1994 album Come, Dirty Mind, Controversy, Sign O The Times. 1999. Prince, Purple Rain.
I thought the Art Official Age was a pretty good album.
Very smooth production.

I know you will hate me for this, but Conor vs Floyd.

It was a fun fight to watch live because of the buildup and anticipation but in my opinion it doesn’t have much replay value.

I liked the 1994 album Come, Dirty Mind, Controversy, Sign O The Times. 1999. Prince, Purple Rain.
I thought the Art Official Age was a pretty good album.
Very smooth production.
For me, all his albums have a consistent level of excellence. Of course that isn't reflected in sales or in fan appreciation. He's got crazy fans, i used to hang out on the main fan site but i've been banned more than once for getting into pissing contests with his wacky assed fans. i don't know why they are there, they aren't really fans, they loved to tear everything he did apart when he was alive and they still do it.

Dirty Mind was never a favorite, I recognized it as groundbreaking and it was important for Prince in that it liberated him from the teen idol mold they were hoping to fit him into after the success of the second album. But, I was never that impressed with the actual songs. When you were mine is one of his best ever of course, in my top five prince songs but the rest of the album wasn't all that impressive to me. Of course, I know of the reputation it had with critics at the time. In fact, every single album he released was measured against Dirty Mind, some critics would say about 1999, "it's great but it's no dirty mind". I still listen to it trying to find what I missed because it's so highly regarded but i've never been crazy about it. If I rated his albums according to how much I like them, it would probably come in the last 5 along with his debut album and maybe lotusflower. Artofficial Age is a great album and I think it has a couple songs that are about as good as anything he did.

As far as his death, it didn't make a lot of sense to me for a long time. I grudgingly accept the fact that he was hooked on pain pills but I still think we don't have all the info. Insiders have hinted that he had serious health problems and there was some blind item about a celebrity who had aids and was near death, right before Prince died. Many things just did not make sense. One being that he hid it so well. Every musician (or boxer) who fucks around heavily with drugs shows it in a lack of productivity and a lack of being able to perform. Everyone knew Elvis was hooked on shit before he died because he slurred and fucked up in performances. Prince, on the other hand, honestly never sounded better vocally and he played his ass off on the final tour. How do you do that strung out? I guess he was, but it didn't make sense for the longest time. We still don't have the full story. I think he had something like cancer or some degenerative condition, possibly even aids.

Back