Fights where the loser has zero damage and winner looks destroyed

BJ vs GSP 1
display_image_original.jpg

I knew this was gonna be the first one but that's actually the wrong pic.

Here's the actual one. Looks even worse.

GSP-FACE.jpg
Thanks. Yeah I saw the above pic and thought "Wait a minute, I could have SWORN GSP had worse damage under his eyes".

This thread is gonna rustle a lot of jimmies.

I just rewatched Anderson-Bisping and man what a beating Anderson put on him over the course of 5 rounds. WAs a very interesting fight in that Anderson did do a lot of dancing and hand/arm distractions but when he landed he did a lot of damage in addition to the nuclear flying knee. So anderson loses and he looks like he just jogged a mile on a treadmill and Bisping looks like he was beaten by a baseball bat for 25 minutes.

The other fight that comes to mind is another robbery imo, Penn-gsp I. Geroges got absolutely decimated over the course of the 3 round fight and had to be rushed to the hospital afterwards while BJ literally walked out of the arena without as much as a scratch on his face and was in the club with his team that night while georges was most likely on oxygen and an IV for days afterwards.

Any others you can think of?

Any fight in which both guys are standing at the end (meaning not saved by the bell) means no one received more than superficial damage. Cuts and bruises used to be so normal that kids would come in from recess covered with them, and the only thing teachers would say is, "Don't bleed over your books." Nowadays people lead such sheltered lives that cuts and bruises are taken as signs of being seriously hurt. You know that saying, "It's only a flesh wound?" It used to be real. Now even flesh wounds are taken to mean being hurt.

Ask any emergency room doctor if people who are seriously hurt can recover in the one minute between rounds? They'd laugh at you -- and then say anyone who recovers in a minute was never hurt, only tired. Same for anyone still moving about in a fight -- if they were seriously hurt they'd be on the ground, unable to defend themselves. Anyone who wins the last round of a fight took less damage than his opponent -- that's why Pride used to score the last round as worth more than the first rounds. Don't be fooled by superficial cuts and bruises, look for who's moving better to see who took less damage.

And I say that as someone who thinks Penn beat GSP in their first fight 29-28, and Hendricks beat GSP 48-47 in their first fight. But in neither fight did anyone take anything even remotely close to serious damage (other than GSP's eyes, though that's a different issue). You simply don't win a round if you're hurt, you just survive until the bell saves you. This used to be obvious, but under today's standards a tiny bruise is a brutal assault.

Clearly.

A sherdogger finally explained to me why sherdoggers think otherwise. They acknowledge everything you said above...they just think that was the beginning of the migration toward "point fighting" - the beginning of the end. And they're frustrated about it, still.

But unlike fights like, say, Machida v Rampage or Souza v Romero, where one or more rounds could have honestly gone either way, no one actually believes BJ won either round 2 or round 3 according to the rules agreed to by all. They just wish fighters were rewarded more for throwing heavy punches in the box (BJ) than jabbing and moving and landing more shots that don't hurt much (GSP).

Once I heard that, I quit pointing out that BJ clearly and obviously won only 1 round. Apparently they all know it already ;)
That fight is a good indicator for who watches the fights they discuss and who parrots the rubbish they read from other people who make their decisions based on pictures and rumors.

GSP-Hendricks
20130317084136_IMG_4650.JPG

The GSP pic you posted is actually from the Diaz fight. It’s crazy how much scar tissue GSP has, that fight was nothing but a domination but the 6-7 punches Diaz landed were enough to bruise up GSP badly. Imagine if Diaz actually had some TDD, Georges would’ve been a mess!

I just rewatched Anderson-Bisping and man what a beating Anderson put on him over the course of 5 rounds. WAs a very interesting fight in that Anderson did do a lot of dancing and hand/arm distractions but when he landed he did a lot of damage in addition to the nuclear flying knee. So anderson loses and he looks like he just jogged a mile on a treadmill and Bisping looks like he was beaten by a baseball bat for 25 minutes.

The other fight that comes to mind is another robbery imo, Penn-gsp I. Geroges got absolutely decimated over the course of the 3 round fight and had to be rushed to the hospital afterwards while BJ literally walked out of the arena without as much as a scratch on his face and was in the club with his team that night while georges was most likely on oxygen and an IV for days afterwards.

Any others you can think of?

the goat matt hamil vs jon jones.

Penn x GSP is a robbery that doesn't get talked about often enough.

Penn fanboys bring it up quite a bit.

It really wasn't a robbery though, at all.

Round 1 was Penns.
Round 3 was GSPs.

Round 2 is the controversy. While GSP didn't get as much ground control and TDs as he did in the 3, but he was also winning the fight on the feet.

People seem to remember it as GSP not getting him down, but forget he was winning the striking exchanges.

The GSP pic you posted is actually from the Diaz fight. It’s crazy how much scar tissue GSP has, that fight was nothing but a domination but the 6-7 punches Diaz landed were enough to bruise up GSP badly. Imagine if Diaz actually had some TDD, Georges would’ve been a mess!
In GSP's defense, his face/skin bruises ("strawberries"?) easily, so even without any cuts or serious (dark) bruises, his face is always torn-up looking. Igor Vovchanchyn was another stud who, after even the lightest pommeling exchange, would have deep-purple markings all over his banana peel face.

Bookmarking this thread for the next time my wife calls the cops on me. Holl up officer its not what it looks like check this out! *Pulls up this thread*

Last edited:
Well , the fights already been overturned but gsp-hendricks poster child for this ( would be).

LMFAO - Bisping vs the shell of a shell of Dando.
If there was EVER an mma picture worth 10,000 words - at fights end , the split screen of yellowback/ Henderson would define it.

Back