Fights where the faster guy got outboxed

Speed has nothing to do with timing. timing has everything to do with speed.

The fighter who is smarter, has better timing and sharper technique will always get there first. Most guys are faster than Floyd but get out counter punched.

There are many other examples of this..

Really? Name a few.

Carlos Baldomir said Zab was faster than Floyd.

I'd say just about anybody that Winky Wright ever beat was faster than him.

Klitschko vs Haye, Lennox vs Tyson.

Klitschko vs Haye, Lennox vs Tyson.

Lennox literally had a foot of reach on Tyson, who was significantly slower than he used to be by that point. Again with Klitch and Haye. Not saying that they weren't technically slower, but they had a massive size and reach advantage.

Mitchell was faster or equal to Floyd and Manny too.

Last edited:
Speed has nothing to do with timing. timing has everything to do with speed.

The fighter who is smarter, has better timing and sharper technique will always get there first. Most guys are faster than Floyd but get out counter punched.

There are many other examples of this..

The hell?

That is as far from reality as you can possibly get.

It's boxing. The better more skilled sharper fighter has lost COUNTLESS times. Because it's boxing. You don't need to be the best guy in the ring to win. Anyone can win on any night with one single punch. That is one of if not the biggest draw for tons of fans. Always has been and always will be.

How about Mayweather vs. Zab.. I thought May won that fight by focusing on timing.. it started out a speed vs. speed thing and Zab was owning him.. but then he put the gloves up higher and started timing zab and won easily.

I saw it as Mayweather won the fight based off of his versatility. His plan was to walk Judah down from the beginning. He failed at doing it easily when he was met with some excellent counter left hands everytime he tried to invite himself in (my understanding of Mayweather's ego was that Judah would fold on this stage and that he'd walk over him, but Zab put up some resistance) and then had to time and figure Judah out. It took some more punishment, but Mayweather found the right angles and figured out the body was there before anything else and eventually dominated that fight.

Was Dizzy the faster guy when he got out punched by Sergio??

It's close. He had that quick jab, but to me he wasn't faster than Martinez at the time. A couple of the knockdowns were caused by Sergio beating him to the punch I think. But Sergey was quick.

I saw it as Mayweather won the fight based off of his versatility. His plan was to walk Judah down from the beginning. He failed at doing it easily when he was met with some excellent counter left hands everytime he tried to invite himself in (my understanding of Mayweather's ego was that Judah would fold on this stage and that he'd walk over him, but Zab put up some resistance) and then had to time and figure Judah out. It took some more punishment, but Mayweather found the right angles and figured out the body was there before anything else and eventually dominated that fight.

IMO, that fight was a tail of two floyds.. the first 3-4 rounds played like a highlight reel for Zab.. they were both playing the slick counter based game and zab was beating May to the punch.. then Floyd ear muffed up and got sharp and economical and limited zabs opportunities to counter and it was easy from there out..

Mitchell was faster or equal to Floyd and Manny too.

Sharmba Mitchell? Disagree... he was fast, but I never once saw him do anything like a prime May or Pac

Sharmba Mitchell? Disagree... he was fast, but I never once saw him do anything like a prime May or Pac

He wasn't a knockout puncher by scored a few knockdowns with his sharpness and speed.

But Kostya vs Mitchell would match this thread. Kostya would counter mitchell and slowy broke him down in there fight with his Jab and then land his power shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back