Fights that probably took the most out of a fighter's life/career, win or lose?

Unfinished Sentenc

testtest
@red
Reaction score
E.g. Just this past weekend, Holloway took a pretty consistent beating from Poirier, and it probably would've been better for him long-term if he had just got ktfo from the first couple of hard shots

Tj vs barao & cain vs jds 2( although jds seems to have found his stride again)

I worried about Whitaker after Romero..Also Ortega....Holloway...

In recent memory, That last Ortega fight against Holloway was brutal. Good thing they stopped the fight.

McGregor changed the career of Alvarez
It wasn’t fun
He also destroyed Mendes chin

BJ was never the same after Edgar

BJ vs Diego. Mentally and Physically, Diego has never been the same after that fight, and he hasn't been considered a top fighter since either.

2 rounds of Fabio Maldonado getting treated like a heavy bag vs Glover Teixeria

nmj1zmoynkdkzztd5vlj.gif

The beating JDS took from Cain came to mind immediately. The Barao beating from a possible enhanced TJ is up there. Everyone Rumble ever smashed. The punch that Overeem took from Ngannou. Rashad’s bomb on Chuck.

Starnes running from Quarry probably broke a fighter’s soul more than any other, does that count?

Damn how has no one mentioned Rory Mac in the fight with Robbie

That was a life changer

Shad kilt chuck
Rory isnt the same after robbie
gsp and anderson and jones vs almost everyone who they fought

McGregor changed the career of Alvarez
It wasn’t fun
He also destroyed Mendes chin

BJ was never the same after Edgar

I don’t agree with any of those. Alvarez was always hittable and tougher than he was elite. Mendes just didn’t have the stamina to go five hard rounds that night....Conor rocked him a little but not a lot. It wasn’t a big KO or a sustained beating. Edgar had a style that Penn couldn’t quite figure out but he never hurt him. Rory and Diaz on the other hand jacked him up.

Strange choices IMO.

Romero took something out of Whittaker the second time around. I suspect he will never be the same but time will tell.

Rockhold/Weidman comes to mind.

BJ/Diego Sanchez is a good one.

Maynard lost something to Edgar.

GSP/Fitch too.

Last edited:
I don’t agree with any of those. Alvarez was always hittable and tougher than he was elite. Mendes just didn’t have the stamina to go five hard rounds that night....Conor rocked him a little but not a lot. It wasn’t a big KO or a sustained beating. Edgar had a style that Penn couldn’t quite figure out but he never hurt him. Rory and Diaz on the other hand jacked him up.

Strange choices IMO.
Mendes had a great chin then was koed by Edgar
Then Volk
He was never the same
The others well let’s agree to disagree
I personally feel bj was a shell vs Diaz and Rory

Romero has taken years of life away from his opponents in spite of him losing lol.

Khabib vs Michael Johnson comes to mind.

Jones vs Shogun

Jones vs Gus 1. I think they both hospitalized each other or especially Jones got fucked up pretty badly

Back