Fights that had a winner but should have been a draw

Immediately Hendo vs Bisping comes to mind.
10-8 Hendo
10-9 Hendo
10-9 Bisping
10-9 Bisping
10-9 Bising
47-47 Draw

Same with Whittaker vs Romero 2. I don't remember the round breakdowns but I had Whittaker winning 3 rounds but I definitely gave Romero a 10-8 (arguments can be made that he got 2 10-8 rounds but that's another discussion) and with another 10-9. I scored it a Draw.

Any other examples?
Fedor v Big Foot. 10-9, 8-10, 10-9. If Fedor has been allowed to continue ;)

Yes, I jest.

It's all good, i don't think there's much wrong in scoring it for Romero, despite myself thinking Whittaker edged it, but a fight that close just isn't a robbery, no matter to whom the win will be given.

..for that reason i also think that Judges should give more draws to fights that close.

Fair enough. I scored it for Romero but not by a landslide, so I wouldn't object to a draw. In a title fight, a draw is still a win for the champion.

So many...

Fedor vs Arona
TK vs Haseman
Khabib vs Thibau
Hendo vs Big Nog
Hendo vs Goes
Hendo vs Ronin
Takase vs Ronin
Takase vs Elvis
Big Nog vs Horn
Big Nog vs Kopylov
No Rush vs Big Rigg

NC: No Rush vs Menjivar

Last edited:
So many shit fights that I'm thankful I cannot remember should have been draws.

I think unless there is a clear advantage to one fighter or the other they should both get 9's. Fuck a 10 must. Fuck the point system in general if there are only 3 judges.

I'd be down for teams of analysts to essentially put together fightmetric style data that is independently verified live during fights. 1 minute between rounds should be enough time to do it with a relatively low margin of error. If a fighter doesn't have a significant advantage in a round, call it a draw. If someone dominates give them a 10-9. If it's clear a fighter won the round but his opponent wasn't really hurt or out of it, 10-9.

More draws in close fights is better than giving a guy an unearned decision, or worse giving someone a W when they probably should have an L because the judges blinked a few too many times or just went all adalaide byrd.

all the media had it hendricks 48-47,only reason gsp got the win was ufc anniversary

I disagree with TS about Hendo - Bisping; I thought Henderson won both fights.

I nominate:
Condit - Lawler
Hughes - Serra
Hughes vs Serra? I personally thought Serra took 2 rounds clearly. I remember thinking Serra just got screwed.

Too many to list all time, but in the past few years the fights off the top of my head I'd pick are...
-Romero/Whittaker 2
-Mighty Mouse/Cejudo 2
-Nunes/Shevchenko 2
-Reyes/Oezdemir
-Brunson/Silva
-Romero/Costa
-Ngannou/Lewis
-Rodriguez/Stephens

Anderson vs Weidman = lucky punch
Anderson vs Weidman 2 = freak injury
Anderson vs Ryo Chonan = gimmicky submission
Anderson vs DC = if you’re a HW champ and can’t beat an older MW on short notice = Draw
Anderson vs Adesnaya = light sparring matches don’t have winners

Many.

I think there should be way more draws.
Both great fights, and total stinkers where neither guy deserves a "win".

Anderson vs Weidman = lucky punch
Anderson vs Weidman 2 = freak injury
Anderson vs Ryo Chonan = gimmicky submission
Anderson vs DC = if you’re a HW champ and can’t beat an older MW on short notice = Draw
Anderson vs Adesnaya = light sparring matches don’t have winners

Anderson-Chael 1 = You can't win when you lost most of the fight
Anderson-Maia = Dancing around and running away doesn't count
Anderson- Chael 2 = cheated a bunch plus almost illegal knee
Anderson- Forrest= Xanax makes that win not count
Anderson- Leites = light sparring matches don't have winners
Anderson-Vitor = flukey front kick

Too many to list all time, but in the past few years the fights off the top of my head I'd pick are...
-Romero/Whittaker 2
-Mighty Mouse/Cejudo 2
-Nunes/Shevchenko 2
-Reyes/Oezdemir
-Brunson/Silva
-Romero/Costa
-Ngannou/Lewis
-Rodriguez/Stephens
MM vs Cejudo 2 I still have to MM but a draw wouldn't have been outrageous.

I thought Brunson clearly beat Silva. How Silva got the nod is dumbfounding.

Couture vs Rizzo (first fight).

Also, Marcus Brimmage vs Maximo Blanco - not that I care about either fighter but this fight really stands out for me. These 2 had a light sparring session for 3 rounds, then they had a back flip contest in the octagon, after their fight.

It pissed me off. I couldn't help think that 2 UFC fighters shouldn't have so much energy after fight. Anyway, I think it was Brimmage who was gifted the decision although neither fighter did anything significant the entire fight. I would have cut them both if I were Dana.

Overeem-Werdum 2 (their first Strikeforce fight), 10-10 rounds across the board in that shitfest.
Shogun-Hendo 1 for sure. Scoring 10-8 rounds just wasn’t “in style” at that time. I initially scored it the same way as the judges, but round 5 really should be a
10-8 for Shogun. Legendary fight though.

Back