Fights Stopped at the Bell?

BakaSurvivor

FYL
@Green
Reaction score
With the issue of the knee Silva landed at the end of the round, I've been thinking, has a referee actually ever stopped a fight at the bell because a guy got knocked down?

tumblr_m79qs1u72o1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Not sure, but we do see those same results end in a fight being waved off anytime there has been any amount of time left on the clock. It just happened so fast with the mouthpiece factor, Herb Dean was lost.

If bisping was not near the cage he would have been laying on his back

might have stopped it

I don't have the gif but I feel like the ref stopped Anderson vs Rich II at the end of the round. Then changed his mind and had Rich come back out for a brutal beatdown in round 2. Poor Rich would have been better off if it ended in the first. At least wouldn't have gotten his nose smashed again.

I just rewatched it. The ref, doctor, and Rich's own corner should be ashamed of themselves for sending him out there for round 2. He was clearly done after round 1 and I thought the ref stopped the fight b/c Rich went down and limp. Look at his eyes when he's trying to get to his corner. The dude was KO'd.

Penn vs Sherk

Gina vs Cyborg was damn close

Franklin got the Bisping treatment at the end of round 1 vs Silva 2, but it ended up pretty bad as he didn't fully recover and was outclassed regardless.

Aldo vs Mendes 1 and Johnson vs Horiguchi both ended 4:59 at end of their rounds.

There have been a fair number that went down as 4:59 or sometimes 5:00 of a round.

Penn-Sherk TKO @ 5:00
Machida-Silva KO @ 4:59
Arlovski-Fulton KO @ 4:59
Aldo-Mendes 1 KO @ 4:59
Carano-Cyborg TKO @ 4:59
Pennington vs. Evans-Smith Tech. Sub @ 4:59
Cro Cop-Ishii 2 TKO @ 5:00
Rickels-Awad TKO @ 5:00 (this one was pretty controversial)
Johnson-Horiguchi Sub @ 4:59

If it's stopped at 5:00, that usually means it's because the guy isn't aware, can't get up or make it back to his corner. Bisping was hurt badly, no argument there, but he was sitting up and talking to Herb seconds later.

Last edited:
If it's stopped at 5:00, that usually means it's because the guy isn't aware, can't get up or make it back to his corner. Bisping was hurt badly, no argument there, but he was sitting up and talking to Herb seconds later.

Or can't/doesn't answer the bell, like GSP/Penn 2.

I only meant in the sense of having 5:00 as the time of the stoppage.
True, but by that criteria you get doctor stoppages, corner stoppages, retirements, etc. as 5:00 of a round, not really the referee stepping in for a stoppage at the end of a round as the OP is talking about.

Back