FIGHTS need to be scored as a whole not round by round

I hate when people defend the 10-point must system insisting it works. It doesn't. It really doesn't. Especially not for 3 round fights. More 10-10s and 10-8s would simply mean more draws. How is that a good thing? Score the fights on a whole. I've used the scored by quarter analogy before too, it wouldn't make sense in other sports and it doesn't make sense in MMA.

Glad to see that someone else thought of my sport analogy. If the 10 point system works so great my question to those people is why are we always on sherdog talking about bad scoring? Yes no matter what there will be bad calls but its too often and one problem is the judges don't even know what there looking at there just some guys in a suit. The other is the actual system

1-4 were Gus... you wanna give Jones 4 because he landed some shots in the last 30 seconds? Ok... 1-3 were a one sided beatdown... 4:30 of the 4th was a one sided beat down... and the rest to Jones.

You wanna make a defense of Jones winning the fight based on what exactly?

What. A. Moron.

Jones outsruck Gustaffson by the largest margin of the fight in the second round and nearly finished him in the fourth...

Right and lost the 3 before that

Doesn't matter, in your scenario we score the fight as a whole so three close rounds would be SIGNIFICANTLY outweighed by Jones almost finishing Gustafson and kicking his face to bits in the fifth.

I tend to agree. That's how the UFC did it wayyyyy back in the day.

I would rather have draws like in the early UFC events than the lackluster judges decisions we get in the modern era. Some people hate more ties/draws, but I could get past it.

Moronic judging ruining fights has gotten to me.

So should football games be scored quarter by quarter?

Two totally different sports, so...

what-no-gif.gif

So should football games be scored quarter by quarter?

Happens in tennis. One set can be won to love, the next 3 can be tight as a ducks anus but if the score looks like:

6-0, 6-7, 6-7, 6-7

Then the guy with the 6-7s wins. What you are suggesting isn't the answer. The answer is to fix the 10 'must' so that judges use more 10-10s and more 10-8s. At the moment a 10-8 usually a hugely dominant round, when that should really be a 10-7.

An example would be Edgar/Maynard II. Round one should have been a 10-7 for Gray, he beat the piss out of Edgar in that round.

Scoring per round is the righ thing, its more objective. Scoring as a whole its waaaaayyyy too subjective, as it is a lot of people have problems because of the subjectivity of a judge in ONE FUCKING ROUND, that doesnt determine the outcome of the entire fight, imagine interpreting the subjectivity of a judge that thinks that one person won because he just thinks he won.... forget that shit, the system is not perfect but the furthest thing from a solution would be to add more subjectivity to the process and thats exactly what judging as a whole is

In my opinion the solution is more towards if you have a 10 fucking point system then fucking use the 10 points available!, we currently use only 8 - 9 and 10, and raaaareeeely 7.... fuck! then use a 3 point scoring system, why the fuck do you have 10 numbers available if you are not going to use them then

Doesn't matter, in your scenario we score the fight as a whole so three close rounds would be SIGNIFICANTLY outweighed by Jones almost finishing Gustafson and kicking his face to bits in the fifth.

1231627_534263456653465_1449401384_n.jpg

Sorry what were you saying

it's just because judges are generally old incompetent toolbags.

They're the same people as used in boxing, and they can't even get boxing scores correct.

Agreed.

So my thinking is, what likelihood of success do we have moving around the parameters when there are clear parameters now that are not consistently followed? The scary part is we see these problems at the highest level within the most prominent commissions in combat sports.

Well instead of posting a gif why don't you explain how its fair in mma but not football. Its one fight not 3 or 5 fights

It's fair because it's different rules in different sports. Stop comparing the two.

Each concept has it's pros and cons.

In my humble opinion, the 10 point must as written, is the best of the "not perfect" options we have. I feel pretty confident influx of draw decisions will hamper the sport which is still trying to get a footing.

The 49-46 score last night lets me know we still have a problem with plain old competency on the rules as they are endorsed today. If you take a step back and look at ALL of the ridiculous individual score cards turned in over 2013, its obvious we don't have consistent, thoughtful scoring.

agreed, there are many cases where even if the judges seem to score the fight "properly", only the result is what is right. The round by round scoring is very questionable at times.

Agreed.

So my thinking is, what likelihood of success do we have moving around the parameters when there are clear parameters now that are not consistently followed? The scary part is we see these problems at the highest level within the most prominent commissions in combat sports.

I just think it would be better if the scoring were changed.

They need completely different judges, but according to the UFC this is impossible right now.

Either get some ex fighters, or just a new batch of people who seem to know what they're actually looking at.

Get there to be judging classes, and scores of judges should be recorded based on competence.

Adelaide byrd fucks up more than half of her scorecards and doesn't know what she's looking at, she no longer has a job.

What. A. Moron.

Jones outsruck Gustaffson by the largest margin of the fight in the second round and nearly finished him in the fourth...

Only if you score it with amateur boxing rules.

Most of his strikes were kicks to the legs that really didn't effect Alex.

Most of Alex's strikes were shots to the face that clearly shook Jones up and messed his face up.

The amount of power strikes Alex landed were far more than Jones. The only significant shots Jones landed were in the last 2 rds.

like the idea of scoring as a whole, don't care for the analogy.

It's fair because it's different rules in different sports. Stop comparing the two.

So is Jones vs Gustaffson 1 fight or is it 5 different fights? Why judge it as 5 because it is one. Its a great comparison because your giving the fight to a guy what wins rounds not a fight. Just liking giving a game to a team that one quarters but not the actual game. Jones Gustaffson aside. I think your answering this because you scored it for Jones instead of answering it as scoring in general. This isn't about last nights fight it's about the scoring and how it does not answer who won a fight

like the idea of scoring as a whole, don't care for the analogy.

Its literally the same thing. Your giving a Win to a guy that wins rounds not a fight just like giving a game to a team that one quarters not a game. Its not any different. Your one of those people that if the analogy is not identical to the situation you say its no good.

The Gus and Jones fight was scored fine and there is no controversy nor need to make scoring changes.

If Gus wants the belt, he needs to put Jones out and take his belt or beat him convincingly. The fight was too close for it to even be controversial and Jones busted Gus up in the later rounds and took the win.

So is Jones vs Gustaffson 1 fight or is it 5 different fights? Why judge it as 5 because it is one. Its a great comparison because your giving the fight to a guy what wins rounds not a fight. Just liking giving a game to a team that one quarters but not the actual game. Jones Gustaffson aside. I think your answering this because you scored it for Jones instead of answering it as scoring in general. This isn't about last nights fight it's about the scoring and how it does not answer who won a fight

Nope. I wanted Jones to win, but I definitely thought Gus won. If you don't believe me, look up my previous posts. I just don't think comparing Football scoring to MMA scoring is going to solve anything.

Back