Fights like Cummins/Cormier and Maldonado/Miocic are unethical.

UFC needs to learn: primary, alternate and contingency planning for these moments when a fighter drops last minute, another fighter should be in the pipeline ready to jump in for battle. Some fighters management will decline due to style matching or mismatching, no prep camp prior, contract negotiations, etc. Still, some better planning has to be in place so these silly match ups don't make it to the card and then real MMA fans see the silliness in a fight. Throw out the argument of "they're big boys and signed the dotted line" because brass and management need to do a better job planning so fighters like Fabio will sign purely out of warrior spirit.

It's the fight game. Brain damage, blood, and broken bones in exchange for money. Can't expect it to be too ethical.

Add Tito Ortiz/Alexander Shlemenko to that list.

But I must say it's a breath of fresh air every now and then. I watched all these fights primarily because of the mismatches.

Except Tito was the underdog in that fight
Big difference

anyone got a gif of miocic finishing maldonado? i fell asleep last night

I love fights like that.
12822303485373.jpg

Stipe and Fabio was actually sad. The way Fabio curled up after Stipe landed that first punch was like a bully beating up some kid. You just knew it was a matter of seconds before Fabio was out. Plus the awkward crowd reaction. Just bad.

Fabio looked like he just showed up for a pay cheque we all know he's a wreck less brawler but my god you can take a multiple round near death experience with Glover then show up and get your ass totally handed to you in 35 seconds what a joke what a waste of a main event

Fabio looked like he just showed up for a pay cheque we all know he's a wreck less brawler but my god you can take a multiple round near death experience with Glover then show up and get your ass totally handed to you in 35 seconds what a joke what a waste of a main event

That's the power of heavyweights

What I don't get is why they couldn't find a late replacement in the same weight class. They really had to go down to LHW?

As soon as he felt Stipe's power he looked like he wanted to be out of the cage. This fight was a joke, except dangerous. On the real Maldonado must have known he was going to get smashed.

Money has been earned by both fighters and that's what it's all about at the end of the day. I agree but they're big boys and know the risks involved.

Perhaps, but these are the type of fights that people used to criticize Pride for. People were giving Bellator shit for booking Tito (a legit HW) vs. Shlemenko (an undersized MW)

some people would consent to just about anything, especially a fighter with a hyper competitive mentality. BJ Penn would probably fight Cain Velasquez tomorrow, that doesn't mean it should be allowed to happen. You have to save fighters from themselves in a few instances. I don't know if these two fights totally apply to that, but I don't think consent is the deciding factor here.

If the commision was going to save fighters from themselves, the easiest and best way to do that would be banning MMA.

meh. A fight's a fight. Nobody's forcing people into the cage at the end of shock-prodders

That would be unethical

Stipe was -485

Barao was -450 (TJ).

Cummins and Maldonado got off pretty easily. I'd rather be quickly KO'd than take a prolonged beating like what Hendo was subjected to.

Perhaps, but these are the type of fights that people used to criticize Pride for. People were giving Bellator shit for booking Tito (a legit HW) vs. Shlemenko (an undersized MW)

I agree it should be outlawed and the records of undersized opponents outside of the HW div is probably very poor. Hendo / Fedor is the only fight I can think of where the smaller man won. Fedor should have knocked his block off but got KO'd... feather in the cap for Hendo but if Fedor knocked out Hendo he'd have gotten no cred for it because Hendo is smaller.

Royce Gracie defeated larger men back in the day but that won't happen now.

Wand / Hunt : The smaller Wand lost
CroCop's LHK on Wand changed Wandy's career forever and he was never the same after that.
Tito / Schlemenko too, should never have fought...

The list goes on. Weightclasses are there for a reason and it's surprising they're allowed to get away with sanctioned fights with size mismatches. I'm not a fan of it.

Stipe was -485

Barao was -450 (TJ).

Barao fought a guy his size.

Stipe fought a guy who's a relatively small, chubby LHW, most famous for the amount of beating he can take. It wasn't as absurd as booking one of the clear best HW's in the world with multiple top 10 wins against a guy with 4 fights experience in the regional circuit though.

When you book squash matches, as we can see from both of those fights, the probability of someone getting severely hurt is high. The UFC got away with it in both cases but the commission shouldn't license such bookings, when someone gets severely hurt because of a wild mismatch its going to be horrible for the sport.

I agree but these guys are pros and this is where stars are born, sometimes.

Back